What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spicoli, I always hated when I would take people to the VA. They never had enough wheelchairs, the wheelchairs they had didn't have foot rests, and the waits were always loooong. What sort of cloth mask did they offer? The little medical looking kind?
I've got cloth masks but they have filters in them and they have metal wire to make them fit around my nose better and extra fabric to hug under my chin so I get a snug fit. I don't know how effective they are in terms of viruses, but they keep my face warm when its cold outside and keep me hands off my face when my nose itches or when I sneeze.

A helicopter to get back and forth would be pretty cool. I wonder what kind of fuel and how much they take. LOL. Would turn a 20min drive to Walmart to a 3 minute flight.

The VA is worthless here as a normal functioning clinic, almost impossible to get an appointment. They themselves say go to the ER even for little things so you get it taken care of now. If I want to make an appointment now, I'm probably 6 months out.

The mask was a little cloth thing with ear holds. Mine has Velcro that attaches in the back and has breathable valves that block out Fire smoke, sewage smell, etc. It's not approved for Covid, but it's just to satisfy the Government requirement (Or so I thought)... Very few people wear masks anywhere else in town. They could have just given me a piece of printer paper folded in half, it would probably be better.

A lot of places here specify that you can wear your own mask unless it has a valve.

Got both legs glued on the waterfall table! Will remove clamps tonight or tomorrow and just savor it for a while. Then I need to level the legs if necessary, then sand again and apply whatever kind of coat. (I was thinking a nice latex-based house paint, color hot pink...)

I have a friend worked worked for Drexel IIRC. He said they used a special saw for leveling chairs. It had a horizontal blade set in a machined surface to trim one leg.

My sister's workplace doesn't allow masks with valves. I have masks with valves but they have filters inside. But, I wear another mask over it (mostly bc it's friggin' cold outside) and it keeps my face nice and warm. When they actually had mask mandates here (they don't anymore) I saw a woman wearing a piece of lace over her face and they let her in. They don't pay the employees here enough to argue with people and the cops refuse to back them up anyway.

The door I ordered is ready for pickup at Lowes but it's still under 40°F here so I don't want to go outside yet. Mom has an eye doctor appointment tomorrow morning. Gonna be fun getting up early and waiting on her to get ready. Takes about an hour to get there but she takes about an hour to get ready so I will have to get up 2 hours early. She doesn't wear makeup and I honestly don't know wth takes her so long to get ready. I can be up and out the door in less than 5 minutes.

I have a friend worked worked for Drexel IIRC. He said they used a special saw for leveling chairs. It had a horizontal blade set in a machined surface to trim one leg.
I saw something like that attached to a skid-steer once. They were using it to clear a bunch of trees. The attachment also had arms that would hug the tree during and after the cut, then the skid-steer would carry the still-upright trees somewhere else and lay them down in a pile. It was kinda cool, though it also looked like something out of an environmentalist propaganda film.

I saw something like that attached to a skid-steer once. They were using it to clear a bunch of trees. The attachment also had arms that would hug the tree during and after the cut, then the skid-steer would carry the still-upright trees somewhere else and lay them down in a pile. It was kinda cool, though it also looked like something out of an environmentalist propaganda film.
I guess you never watched Swamp Loggers on tv.

I went to eat at Panda. Owner was happy to see me. He missed me last week when I was sick. His father was a pharmacist apparently. Although, they use the term "chemist". Stopped at Sams and grabbed stuff while my brother used the bathroom. Apparently, the guy next to him yelled "God damn it!" and changed stalls. Went to Lowes to pickup the door. It was supposed to be the smooth one but it has wood texture. I don't care. I brought it home. Wood texture one was more expensive than the smooth one. We got it into the workshop- cow came to inspect. Unloaded groceries. Cow slobbered on the milk cartons.

I just got in and am probably going to take a nap.

Removed clamps, set the table on the floor, legs definitely will need leveled. Still it is cool to finally see this slab of wood become a table!

I'm rehearsing in my mind how I think we'll make the cuts and I can't quite picture it. If we just measure from the two "waterfall" edges and make cuts parallel with those edges the same distance down on each side, the table might still wobble because the top surface could have a slight warp or something in it, so while each leg's bottom edge is parallel with its top edge, the two top edges aren't actually parallel with each other. Or the top surface could develop a warp over time though I suppose that's always a risk anyway. I guess I'll see what my neighbor's idea is, since he's the one who knows what he's doing.

I can't quite picture it but I'm thinking sit it on a flat surface, shim to level the top then with a pencil on a wood spacer scribe a line on the legs. The line could then be transferred as close to the bottom edge of the legs as desired.

I can't quite picture it but I'm thinking sit it on a flat surface, shim to level the top then with a pencil on a wood spacer scribe a line on the legs. The line could then be transferred as close to the bottom edge of the legs as desired.
Great idea! That's what I'll do.

Double thanks actually because now I'll look like I know what I'm doing! 😄

I could care less what they say about chili in Texas. Wendy's chili is my favorite and I get the family size container. Today I hit Wendy's at just the right time to get the last of a pot. It was so thick I had to add a bit of water to the bowl I had for supper. This is only the second time this has happened to me.

Well, 2 weeks and $400 later, I got my Toyota Tacoma all fixed. Not only did I need to replace the servo motor which flips the blend door and opens the valve to the heater hoses, but discovered the heat/cool rotating dial has a brain that tells the servo motor to turn. My neighbor, who works at Toyota got me the parts for half price, so all in all, I learned something new and probably saved at least a grand.

Still here, still having difficulties working. I had an MD appt this past Monday, it was disappointing to say the least. I was telling her how I keep telling myself I just need to be able to get through one more weekend, one more schedule, one more MD appt, one more rheumatologist appt, trying to keep the hope alive that something will change and I wont give up 14 years seniority for nothing..... she told me that she loved my optimism and that I am driven by hope, but that I may need to be a little more realistic about my physical well being especially with no big changes with my back and now an added diagnosis of gastroparesis. She told me that I needed to give myself a break and try to find something that I would enjoy as a nurse that wasn't as physically demanding......
Wasn't what I wanted to hear, however I needed to hear it from an MD I guess. I have several work friends who are always asking me why I am torturing myself.
My little "pantry" is being emptied and turned into an office. Hoping to paint it next week. Then I am going to start applying for some work from home positions that pay similarly. At least at home I can use pillows/heating pads/ etc.

On another note. My daughters ex sent her a picture of the inside of the toilet tank at their house and there are mushrooms growing out of where the water is supposed to empty in the toilet 😳. I have never seen that before. That is kind of gross.... to say the least

IMG_6442.jpg

Good luck on the table, Flyover.
Happy to hear you got the good chili, Eddie.
Glad you got your Tacoma fixed, Havasu.
Shan, I hope you can find a better job soon. May I post that toilet tank pic on the plumbing forums?
Still feeling tired but a little bit better. Had stomach issues this morning and didn't get to the post office til after closing but still got the packages.
Helped mom get new H&R Block software installed. They had an asinine system for putting the verification code in and she spent 30 minutes trying to figure it out and was having a tantrum so I got her to vacate her seat long enough for me to check it out and find out what to do. Took awhile because their instructions were vague. But now she's working on the taxes.

The toilet mushrooms are indeed unusual. But did you try them in your stir fry? (Or dry them and sell them to some college kids?)

Back