What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One season robins built in a bush that happend to be where a roof valley discharged rain. Come the first rain a very wet robin was sitting with wings spread to the edges of the nest. It stayed in place as my wife placed an umbrella on top of the bush.

Entering the frustration season where it's too cool to plant grass, still too cool to turn on the sprinklers, but the weeds have no problem growing! While the massive housing shortage is pumping up the price of houses and making me happy that way, I can't sell and move away from my weeds because of the massive interest rates that are twice or more than I'm locked into.

The only option now would be to buy an RV or a Truck with a camper and move around. I could park at an RV site for a month and see if I liked the town. I could do that until the housing market crashes, but I don't know if it will. The old adage of "What goes up must come down" might have been broken.

Here's a look at housing inventory over the years...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i...vegas-in-five-years-11652360287?mod=home-page

Last edited:
I read where some retired couples are selling or renting their homes and living fulltime on cruise liners. They say the cost per day is less than combined costs of home, vehicle and other costs of living.

I read where some retired couples are selling or renting their homes and living fulltime on cruise liners. They say the cost per day is less than combined costs of home, vehicle and other costs of living.

I couldn't do that. I have a problem being at Sea, figured that out as a young laddie in Seattle. Boats are great until you want to get off them. I have an intense control issue where I need to be able to go somewhere when I want to. The only exception is Salmon fishing. I could do that on a boat all day every day.

I saw the male cardinal on the porch looking for food this morning. Puppies keep getting in and we have to keep putting them up in the front room where they whine and bark-- but they chewed one of my DVD sets so they can stay in there if they won't stay out and behave. Princess was happy for them to be locked up. They want to play with her and she doesn't want to play with them.

Went to Samsclub and got everything on the list this time. Visited my friend to see how he's doing. He passed a kidney stone but is having trouble because his enlarged prostate is restricting his urethra and making it harder for stones to pass.

His ex thinks she's going to get on disability while simultaneously thinking she's going to get into nursing school (she doesn't have a high school diploma nor a GED). She only has an 8th grade education.

I'm tired so I will be napping soon I think. Cue Mom to want food.

This cruiseliner plan would be ideal if you...
- Are in good health
- Don't have kids/grandkids you want to be able to see regularly
- Don't have any hobbies
- Have a high tolerance for bland, salty, fatty food
- Don't live on a planet where there is likely to be another pandemic during your remaining years

It might be a blast until one has travelled the world. It wouldn't interest me. My first cousin did it for years as a tour guide. When he tired of travel he fell back to the office in NYC. I think he was with America Express I don't know how that ties in with cruises. He's prolly long retired with travel perks.

I saw this on reddit and posted it for Zannej. Would you believe the guy climbed that 25 ft tower to install the dishy?
x7m54hlpahz81.jpg

I saw this on reddit and posted it for Zannej. Would you believe the guy climbed that 25 ft tower to install the dishy?
??? I suspect that tower is way more than "25 feet"! In fact, I don't think it's even legal! Per FAA regulations, anything over 60 feet has to have warning lights on it! I think those cross bars are spaced each two feet. My antenna is 55 feet high, but pivots down for maintenance...

Entering the frustration season where it's too cool to plant grass, still too cool to turn on the sprinklers, but the weeds have no problem growing!
Been mid 80's every day lately here in NW Ohio... tying and breaking records for heat... will have to give my lawn its first mowing now... it's knee high in spots... I like to keep it longish and healthy... left it long over the winter to insulate the ground... rain yesterday and for later today...

??? I suspect that tower is way more than "25 feet"! In fact, I don't think it's even legal! Per FAA regulations, anything over 60 feet has to have warning lights on it! I think those cross bars are spaced each two feet. My antenna is 55 feet high, but pivots down for maintenance...
You're right! I misread the post. It was 25m. I thought it looked too tall.

I would like to know what dishy actually requires for a clear view in my area. I am sure the instructions are written to cover all latitudes in general. When they show up in my area I am going to closely watch one to see how much actual tracking it does. A phased array has a wider beam width than a dish.

Last edited:
I looked at Clark desert boots on ebay yesterday and received discount offers today.

I spent last night in the ER at the children's hospital. Croup is scary, man!

Sorry to hear this. Is the little one better now?

Yeah, power cord for dishy isn't long enough to put on top of the tower but we will see how high we can get it when my friend is well enough. I just put $50 worth of gas in his car for him today bc he didn't have enough to get to work. He's got a 2013 Scion CT or TC or something like that.

Flyover, I hope the little one will be ok. I had the croup when I was young. I remember it really really sucked and it damaged my lungs.

Yesterday I took my older dogs to the vet for vaccine updates and claw trimming. Fippy was very well behaved. Princess squirmed a lot but did not get aggressive. Vet kept saying how cute she was. Fippy has a heart murmur. Vet started telling me what it meant and I said "Fippy! You have the same thing I have!" He's down to 14.1lbs. Princess is 17.8lbs. At one point Fippy was over 18lbs.

Today I took Mom for an eye doctor appointment. No sign of eye degeneration due to Diabetes but there is some sort of cloudy something at the back of her left eye associated with old age I think. They want to check again in 3 months. Went to Walmart afterward. Hot as hell and I'm exhausted.

Hah, I spoke too soon. We were back there again early this morning. Hopefully that was the last time!

Thanks again. These incidents are scary (and a bit surreal--interacting with modern medical practice is always surreal) while they're happening, but once the scary part is over we're relieved and exhausted and eager to get "back to normal".

I'm hoping to knock out a few house projects this coming weekend.

Latest posts

Back