What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope she's doing ok now, Flyover.

It's hot as hell here right now. And the mimosa tree is blooming for the first time in years. but its too hot to go out and take pics.

Pulling sedum from my lawn filling two five gallon buckets. It looks OK in a rock garden but can be quite invasive. I am trying to eliminate it before I mow otherwise every scattered leaf becomes a new pant. My grass replacer hostas are called curly fries. Mowing doesn't kill them and may encourage faster root spreading.

I'm trying to find a picture I posted here or on one of the sister forums of the capacitor for my HVAC unit so I can remember what the specs were on it.

HVAC is still not working but I've got 2 Vornado fans blowing on me. It was absolutely miserable last night. The guy who works on AC stuff is apparently out of jail right now but I don't have his contact info. Waiting to hear from my friend.

Freezer went out this morning so we rushed to the store to get ice and a big *** cooler to keep stuff in to keep it cold.

Meanwhile, I have the heat on because it's in the 33 degree range. The weather is supposed to be normal next week so I can turn the sprinklers on, we'll see. In the meantime, I get to look at dormant grass that hasn't had snow since yesterday morning.

I've heard it is that cold in other places up north but we've got the heatwave down south. I wouldn't want to be back in Guam right now so close to the equator.

I cut weeds around the AC until my arms gave out. I was using manual clippers. There's a damn tree growing next to the unit now and I need to figure out how to cut it. Despite the heat, Mewlatto wants to be on my shoulder.

Had a good laugh earlier because Mom walked into the hallway and Gravy Jones was on the drawers next to the door. He got right up in her ear and yowled as loudly as he could (which is something he does to everyone). She turned and yowled back in his face very loudly. He put his ears back and backed away. My brother came running out of his room to see if she fell.

Aaand, just found out the hvac guy is back in jail as of yesterday.

There are two but one no-shows a lot. Well, the boss of the company doesn't seem to go out on calls anymore and his employees (I think family members) often can't be bothered to go out. The guy in jail was the only one who would come out reliably. So, my friend got in touch with the other guy and he said his employee would come out but employee refused as he had his kids there and was mowing his lawn. But he walked my friend through the job over the phone (after my friend watched some Youtube videos I sent him on how to do it). Guy clarified a few things and sold the parts we needed to get the job done. Cost $90 in parts and I will stain my friend's kitchen door and and help him hang it up when he is ready. It needed two new capacitors and the guy in jail had jerry-rigged the wiring pretty weirdly. First capacitor fixed the compressor issue but the fan wasn't wanting to work so 2nd capacitor fixed that. It is finally starting to cool off.

Aaand. AC stopped working again. Compressor and fan won't turn on and I have no idea why. Internal HVAC fan is blowing but external is not and its 91° in the coldest part of the house.

I watched a show on History called "The Unexplained" with William Shatner. Each episode is completely different, but this one was about Mummies, and one part of the show was on Self Mummification.

Some Buddhist Monks in Japan in the 17th Century believed that they could keep their souls alive forever by performing Self Mummification instead of dying naturally and not having any control over what happened to their bodies.

They would starve themselves and ingest a tea that was toxic and had embalming properties, so the embalming process would start from the inside.

They would be buried in this state when death was close, and their fellow Monks would excavate them and put them on display, forever keeping their souls alive.

Interesting concept, although I wouldn't try it. It did get me thinking though... That explains Biden, Feinstein, Hillary, Pelosi and Schumer!!!

I know, long time to get to the punchline, but Bada Bing!

Today I replaced the plug end of my deep freeze and added an extension cord (see thread from a few weeks ago).

I also decided I was GOING TO figure out what was leaking under the kitchen sink. I finally found it was in the first joint from the disposal, which was cut at an angle. After I fixed that, another part leaked. Fixed that and another part leaked... You know how it goes. All connections got opened, cleaned, taped, and tightened by my pincer-like Cancerian hands. No more leaks... yet...🤞

In between, I yelled at a mockingbird mocking my cat, who thought he was hunting it when I know it was the other way around. The darn thing WILL NOT leave! Just keeps squawking.

After two years of repairs and improvements, house sale is pending. Got full price, all cash, 45 day escrow, no contingencies. Starting to pull stuff from garage to temporary storage. Septic inspector Monday, house inspector Thursday. We are very satisfied.

After two years of repairs and improvements, house sale is pending. Got full price, all cash, 45 day escrow, no contingencies. Starting to pull stuff from garage to temporary storage. Septic inspector Monday, house inspector Thursday. We are very satisfied.
Real estate is still booming. I’m not sure where people are getting the money but it’s a good time to sell. We sold our house two years ago for an all time high price but now that same house is valued at 25-30% more. We moved to a lower cost state and got more for less.

Real estate is still booming. I’m not sure where people are getting the money but it’s a good time to sell. We sold our house two years ago for an all time high price but now that same house is valued at 25-30% more. We moved to a lower cost state and got more for less.

Some places are booming, some are busting. Zillow sends a forecast of the zip codes you look for property in on a monthly basis. It's booming here, booming in the middle of nowhere Texas, booming in certain coastal parts of WA, and busting in certain coastal parts of WA and OR.

There's no way to look up a zip code for an instant forecast, something I requested from them for the future.

Not that they will be right, but they were real close on my refi appraisal. I'm just making sure everywhere I would move is generating a report for when the interest rates aren't insane.

I'm reading up about black walnut hull uses. Since I will be working with black walnuts this fall and making dye for my floor tile grout (and wood staining). I thought I would look into making my own hull extract for medicinal use. It's amazing how many beneficial uses it has. The medicinal extract is apparently made from green hulls.

I'm just making sure everywhere I would move is generating a report for when the interest rates aren't insane.
We really lucked out, I think. We sold our California house in July 2020 for a huge profit (I bought it in 1989). We were able to put a significant down payment on a house in a lesser cost state. We got a good interest rate for a small mortgage on the new place but I made a huge mistake...My wife was on the deed but the loan was strictly in my name. If something were to happen to me, there is a federal survivors rule that says the bank should refinance the mortgage for the survivor but this didn't make me feel very good. We ended up refinancing the mortgage a year ago to get her on the mortgage. The interesting thing is that the interest rate had dropped to 2.9%! This is the lowest I remember it being in my lifetime. It actually was a Blessing that it happened that way. I remember mortgage interest rates being as high as 18% and 6% was considered good in normal times.

I'm reading up about black walnut hull uses. Since I will be working with black walnuts this fall and making dye for my floor tile grout (and wood staining). I thought I would look into making my own hull extract for medicinal use. It's amazing how many beneficial uses it has. The medicinal extract is apparently made from green hulls.

Yeah, almost everything outside has medicinal properties. There's of course the poisonous plants everybody knows about and a lot people don't, but Master Herbalist is a good course to take.

https://www.earthclinic.com/search....cof=FORID:10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=black walnut&sa=

We really lucked out, I think. We sold our California house in July 2020 for a huge profit (I bought it in 1989). We were able to put a significant down payment on a house in a lesser cost state. We got a good interest rate for a small mortgage on the new place but I made a huge mistake...My wife was on the deed but the loan was strictly in my name. If something were to happen to me, there is a federal survivors rule that says the bank should refinance the mortgage for the survivor but this didn't make me feel very good. We ended up refinancing the mortgage a year ago to get her on the mortgage. The interesting thing is that the interest rate had dropped to 2.9%! This is the lowest I remember it being in my lifetime. It actually was a Blessing that it happened that way. I remember mortgage interest rates being as high as 18% and 6% was considered good in normal times.

I can see a bank getting away with not refinancing her, something she would have to go to court for.

Yeah, it's amazing what homes can go for these days. My Childhood home is valued at $550K. It's 4/2/1400 sf with a basement and a small yard, but the bedrooms are smaller than today's builds. It was built in '51, and is worth about $80K more than my 3/2/1550 sf on an Acre built in '06.

It's all where you live, but people from CA move here and buy land because my House on an Acre is less than half the cost of their cookie cutter where you can reach out the bathroom window and knock on your neighbor's house. Yes, jobs pay more there, but still, it's insane.

It's all good because my value has gone up $170K since last year, so I could buy the biggest truck and nicest camper to go with it and go hide out in RV parks until housing collapses along with the interest rates.

The cheapest VA 30 year loan now is 77% interest at Navy Federal while conventional loans are 85% interest... I'm at 37%, so I have no choice but to sit here if I want to move and build elsewhere.

Isn't the 18% you talk about the Carter years? I remember people talking about those rates. In actual terms, 18 percent for a 30 year loan is 442%

Banks are ALL criminals.

Latest posts

Back