What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been asked by FB to pick a profile pic but never been asked to use a real photo of myself. I had FB delete/untag me from photos family posted of me bc I do not want my picture out there. It's not the NSA that wants your data. They really don't care. It's advertisers/companies that use your pictures for their own advertising without your permission. They want to get your data to target you with ads and maybe even sell your info to nefarious parties to try to blackmail you.

I'm tired again today. Its hot as hell and I had to struggle to get the pups put up last night. They kept trying to climb on me. One of my cats was offended and started swatting the dogs in the face after I told the dog to back off and the dog wouldn't. Sir Hammington defended me. The dogs used to yelp and run away but this time they dodged and ignored it. They know not to chase cats though. They also hate being outside. I can't blame them with this heat. WTForecast app described the weather as being "inside Satan's a-hole".

I'm planning to do some cleaning & cook stroganoff tonight. Need to keep myself more awake.

Upside: My new Matrix with LED arrived. Came with a new battery and charger (some stuff doesn't these days) and I got it for $49 when it normally retails over $75. I had been wanting one but didn't want to pay that much. I have a list of more power tools I want but I really need to see if anyplace in own is hiring and if my brother can look after Mom while I'm out. I was talking to my friend and if they fire the useless employee who doesn't do anything, he can try to get one or both of us hired with his company. The dude he works with can't do simple things and lied about his experience. Dude doesn't even know how to use a screwdriver. My friend can teach me how to do the work (which he said is stupidly easy). I did study Electronic Engineering in college so I have some knowledge of the computery stuff. I'm better with power tools than my brother.

The NSA absolutely tracks everything, Snowden outed that.

Z, you're "It's hot" descriptions aren't to do with the weather. You know where it's in the 80's and 90's all year long. What was different?

What's a Matrix with LED?

It seems that in the US the current trend is to dress and groom as poorly as possible.

Personally I like and approve of our current fashion trends. As long as my t-shirt and basketball shorts are clean and unstained I can outdress 95% of other men I see in public, while remaining comfortable and minimally restricted. Plus, many women are quite fetching in skin-tight pants.

It seems that in the US the current trend is to dress and groom as poorly as possible.

Well, the trend is they let themselves go and just eat fast food and processed food constantly. I very rarely see someone that's in great shape, including in the mirror. I know how to get there though, the people I'm talking about don't seem to care.

As far as clothes, nobody dresses up here unless required for a job like a tie or business casual in offices.

I guess I am just old school I like neat hair and groomed beards (less than 1"). For men's clothing khakis, blue blazers and neat shoes go well anywhere and have a clean look. Most people I see today have little concern over how they look and definitely don't look clean (unkempt hair, beard and clothing).

Neat hair/beard example.
1656344568103.png

Last edited:
the trend is they let themselves go and just eat fast food and processed food constantly.
The "let themselves go" bit seems true for sure. I've noticed at the pool, if someone is over the age of about 20 there is a something like >90% chance that person will be visibly "overweight" (with lots of jiggly fat hanging all over them) and >30% chance that person will be what I'd call "obese" (with so much fat they are shaped more like an egg or a blob than a human). It's alarming, because I always think of the effect this must have on my insurance premiums.

I see this trend happening to a lesser degree with kids and teenagers too, which is sad. When I was a kid there'd be one or two "fat kids" per class, now it seems like they could be a whole class to themselves in any given grade, and most of them are way fatter than the somewhat chubby "fat kids" I remember.

As for what people are eating, I don't have insight into actual data but I sometimes notice what other people have in their grocery carts in the checkout aisle, and what I see is often depressing. I've heard diet is more important than exercise in terms of putting on or losing weight, but I know when they blow the whistle for the adult swim time, I'm usually the only guy swimming laps in the pool. There is a relationship, if I remember right, between how much you exercise, how much you sleep, and what kinds of calories you naturally crave.

Eddie, imagine shearing off most of what is on the top and then adding it to the beard, and that photo of George Clooney is practically me! Only I never dress like that except when I'm at a wedding or something.

I never wear a tie anymore. I have trouble finding khakis that are not pegged. IMO pegged makes both butt and feet look too big for most people. And the Chinese shoes everyone seems to wear make feet so large I would prolly trip over them. I like a deck shoe or original desert boot with straight leg jeans or khakis. Or cargo pants for ease of carrying my P3at (.380 cal) in the phone pocket.

I guess I am just old school I like neat hair and groomed beards (less than 1"). For men's clothing khakis, blue blazers and neat shoes go well anywhere and have a clean look. Most people I see today have little concern over how they look and definitely don't look clean (unkempt hair, beard and clothing).

Neat hair/beard example.
View attachment 28070

All Raging Commies look like that.

The two friends I have in real life who are actual Marxists both seem to be channeling Marx himself, looks-wise.

I guess I can't knock it. The retired coach was pushing his bike up on the bypass. A couple stopped to see if they could help. He said he was OK, the lady pressed three dollars into his hand and they left.

I never wear a tie anymore. I have trouble finding khakis that are not pegged. IMO pegged makes both butt and feet look too big for most people. And the Chinese shoes everyone seems to wear make feet so large I would prolly trip over them. I like a deck shoe or original desert boot with straight leg jeans or khakis. Or cargo pants for ease of carrying my P3at (.380 cal) in the phone pocket.

I have to wear Tactical Cargo Pants. I'm not comfortable in anything else, and can't wear shorts because I have White Boy Fever. Bad.

You need a Holster!

I wear cargo pants exclusively, but mainly in the colder months. (I don't know if they're "tactical" or not...since I'm not active duty military, nor a member of a militia, nor LEO, it would just be "tacti-cool" anyway, which I think is pretty lame.) The cargo pockets are really useful (especially when you have kids) but also something about the way they cut those pants is just more comfortable, so long as you don't buy the trendy modern ones that are cut slimmer. I figured out to always get Wrangler cargo pants, and I'm at the point where I have to buy them used because they don't make the relaxed fit relaxed enough anymore.

I like the bluish green mossy color of Korean War fatigues but the exact color is hard to find. No way would I purchase camo. I usually get shirts and pants at the 'Upscale Resale' Shop of St. Philips but it's getting harder to find straight leg pants.

I bought the .380 pistol because it fits any pocket. IMO holsters are are a continual discomfort. I don't understand those that carry 9 mm or larger all the time. I don't feel EDC to be necessary but with all the discord I may carry more often.

I like the pocket accessibility of a blazer. Windbreakers and other jackets may have pockets but lack of structure makes them hard to access for pens, check book, shopping lists or whatever.

Last edited:
In every State I have lived in, it's at the County Government office. From giant Counties to towns with one stoplight, it has always been at the County seat. Sometimes a Courthouse, sometimes not, but never at the former Wax Wash Diner and Gas.

Oh, I usually have gone downtown to the County Courthouse, but recently they moved a lot of stuff like that to a new building. I went by but I was short on time, and didn't want to park on the hot asphalt then go in and roam around finding it. Where I usually have done it was in a small shopping center and better parking, shorter lines,etc. It was not there.

What kids and adults wear to school and restaurants and stores, would have been washing the car attire or rags. But, I do appreciate not having to be as dressed up as I was as a kid.

I wear cargo pants exclusively, but mainly in the colder months. (I don't know if they're "tactical" or not...since I'm not active duty military, nor a member of a militia, nor LEO, it would just be "tacti-cool" anyway, which I think is pretty lame.)

No. You stick out like a sore thumb.

Back