What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the bluish green mossy color of Korean War fatigues but the exact color is hard to find. No way would I purchase camo. I usually get shirts and pants at the 'Upscale Resale' Shop of St. Philips but it's getting harder to find straight leg pants.

I bought the .380 pistol because it fits any pocket. IMO holsters are are a continual discomfort. I don't understand those that carry 9 mm or larger all the time. I don't feel EDC to be necessary but with all the discord I may carry more often.

I like the pocket accessibility of a blazer. Windbreakers and other jackets may have pockets but lack of structure makes them hard to access for pens, check book, shopping lists or whatever.

Well, with a safety like a Glock, Okay... Well, one thing nobody can bitch at you about, only like 8 rounds in the Mag, right? EDC depends on the area. Nobody here really has to because everybody else is.

No. You stick out like a sore thumb.
You mean someone in the military/a milita/LE/etc. sticks out if they wear cargo pants? I can't tell what this was in response to.
Nobody here really has to because everybody else is.
Don't you love that? :D Herd immunity!

BTW I've heard there are statistics that show the typical civilian self-defense shooting involves fewer than 5 rounds fired.

You mean someone in the military/a milita/LE/etc. sticks out if they wear cargo pants? I can't tell what this was in response to.

Don't you love that? :D Herd immunity!

BTW I've heard there are statistics that show the typical civilian self-defense shooting involves fewer than 5 rounds fired.

No, we know when the person wearing cargo pants is a Civilian.

"Militia"... And you claim you don't watch TV... Apparently you do for that idea. I have never seen a Militia member that I know of.

Fewer than 5 rounds to subdue the Oppressor. The rest are for fun.

Back when I was a contractor's assistant I used to work with a guy who was in a militia. He was a plumber in Arizona. Nice guy. I don't know if people in militias normally use the word "militia" but (it was 20 years ago) I remember either he did or his friend did. I don't remember what kind of pants he wore. Probably jeans.

The Matrix is the Black & Decker Matrix. It can swap out to have different heads. It can be an impact driver, hammer drill, trimsaw (circular blade), jigsaw, reciprocating saw, flat sander, oscillating tool, router, small belt sander, air compressor/inflator, & hedge trimmers (2 different types). I don't have the last 3 attachments. Those are just the attachments I know about. There may be more. The original Matrix didn't come with a light.

I'm one of the people who dresses up sloppily when going into town. T-shirt covered in cat hair. Men's pants (although I got one pair of shorts that I wear over and over-- only shorts I have now). I don't care if I have holes or stains so long as I'm comfortable. I really don't give a rat's behind what other people think and its not like they dress up to go to Walmart. I'll wear freshly cleaned non-stained stuff to doctor's appointments.
Answering for Spicoli, he was in the Army.

My dad loved cargo pants. One time when he was in Thailand he visited a tailor to get some suits made. The tailor offered to make him some cargo pants "only not so ugly" as the ones he was wearing. He really amused them because he spoke Thai but he learned it in the 1960s so he used the older phrases.

I got in some good nap time. Have to go to Samsclub in the morning. Trying to motivate myself to eat better and be more productive. I'm hoping the productivity will follow the eating better part.

I knew Spicoli WAS in the military, he talks about having served, but he said "we know" -- present tense, as if he is still in the military.

Neverind, he answered my question. (I just had a power outage.)

What kids and adults wear to school and restaurants and stores, would have been washing the car attire or rags.
Can't believe how women like to buy new jeans with 6 or 7 rips across the pant legs these days!
I'd be snagging those rips on everything I do... maybe they like to prove they don't do anything...

Can't believe how women like to buy new jeans with 6 or 7 rips across the pant legs these days!
I'd be snagging those rips on everything I do... maybe they like to prove they don't do anything...
I only have jeans with tears that I've worn in them, then only wear around the house as they are well broken in. The whole nice jeans are for leaving the house.

I thought the ladies liked my looks but I guess they're just wondering why I bothered to bathe and put on clean clothes.

No safety on my mouse gun, it's double action only.

Last edited:
Today I replaced a light bulb, like the master craftsman that I am.

That reminds me that I have an unopened box of six free(?) LED floods to replace all my exterior filamentary floods but I haven't made the move yet. The (?) is because the utility has permission to charge us all a penance so they can give freebies to those who bother to apply.

Because of the massive price increases, I am on a 2 Month diet of only Lentils and Brown Rice / Quinoa / Mung Beans. I never thought I would eat Lentils unless I was in a Nuclear Fallout Shelter, but I guess I'm PRACTICING considering the way the country is being run.

It's an organ cleansing diet taught by an Ayurvedic Doctor (India) and will save me money, but it was done out of necessity to flush my system out. I can have other things on a weekly basis like Onions this week and a Pear. I also can add spices and good Salt to the gruel, so it isn't that bad. This week is Digestion, so herbs are used like Ginger that facilitate better cleansing.

Obvious restrictions are all fast and processed "foods", Beef, Anything with Sugar other than the Pears, etc. Gone is the normal 4TH BBQ and fixins etc... After I'm done with the course, I'm going to incorporate back into my diet Eggs, Ground Beef and Bison, and other Vegetables like Broccoli.

What I NEED to remember to do is get off my Democrat Mascot and workout a lot because of the massive carb load. I have done a lot of "diets", but most are the polar opposite like Paleo. I have eaten nothing but Pasta and Rice when I was a poor kid out on my own for the first time, but never intentionally.

I don't have a craving for anything with Sugar because of the massive carbs, and maybe I will never have a reason to include Sugar in anything.

Attachments

• IMG_3107.JPG
    IMG_3107.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 7
@Spicoli43 I don't know if it would violate your diet, but there's a middle eastern dish called majudara that is delicious and you might like it; I make it probably once a month or more. I use onions and cilantro but it could probably work without them; the main ingredients are rice and lentils. I like to use jasmine or basmati rice, actually I wouldn't recommend it with any other kind of rice.
  1. First you cook about 1/3lb of lentils in boiling well-salted water.
  2. While the lentils are cooking, make your spice mixture: a tablespoon of cumin, a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of allspice, half a teaspoon of cinnamon, and half a teaspoon of turmeric. A pinch of garlic powder is optional.
  3. Then in a pot with a matching lid, saute diced onions (I like to use coconut oil for its clean taste and high smoke point) over medium-high until very well cooked, adding half of your spice mixture as you stir the onions. I've seen recipes say to carmelize the onions but I never manage to cook them quite that far.
  4. Then you add a cup and a half of uncooked rice to this along with the rest of the spice mixture and stir it until the rice is coated in the spices.
  5. Then add the right amount of water according to the rice package, raise the heat to high, and basically cook the rice according to the instructions or however you'd normally cook it. (For my jasmine rice this is bringing it to a boil then simmering covered on low for 15 minutes.)
  6. When the rice is cooked you add the lentils and chopped cilantro and stir it all up.
My wife likes her majudara with Louisiana hot sauce, which I consider offensive; instead, I like to drizzle it with tahina (a well-mixed dressing of tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, paprika, and water).

If the fact that this is vegan bothers you, use bacon fat when you saute the onions. You can also crush up a boullion cube and add it to your spice mixture.

Last edited:
I had this flashlight that plugs into a car cigarette lighter. The other day I had it plugged in in my car, but when I pulled it out it broke and a few parts of it were left in the socket. I fished them out with my finger and caused a small spark. (I was being dumb and forgot to take my key out of the ignition first.) Now my cigarette lighter and radio don't work.

It's been nice driving around just listening to the engine (or more often, my kids talking) but I've decided it's time to replace the fuse. Maybe I'll get time to do that tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks, Flyover. I will try it this week. I have probably had it, there was a lot of days in Iraq where we were gifted food by locals, always rice dishes. When my diet is over, I think I will celebrate by learning to make Shawarma. That is INSANE.

I was going to add, I've tried swapping in quinoa for rice in majudara. It's still passable but not as good.

Shawarma shouldn't be too hard. For just one person, I would do it as a two-step process: first bake a beef & lamb meatloaf spiced with the same spice mix as the majudara, plus maybe some caraway or fennel seeds but don't overdo it. Plus just a hint of freshly chopped mint. Make the meatloaf so it holds together really well, maybe that means using two eggs instead of one. Then refrigerate it, slice it real thin, and put your slices under the broiler or pan-fry them to crisp up the edges. Serve over french fries of course! Garnish with red cabbage or beets and radishes and a pickle. Drizzle with more tahina.

Btw, I often joke about how outside the US most food amounts to "saucy protein chunks served over rice".

Last edited:
Back