What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how my day has been. Livid, doesnt begin to explain how I feel.

Copied text from post I made earlier on fb:

Mom update:

The good parts..... she gave me a little bit of a hard time a couple of times, which was lovely, I asked her if I could lick her face once, and of course she told me no...(she thinks I am way too serious, so I was trying to be more tender and fun-loving). Before we left I told her since she wouldn't let me lick her face, I would just kiss her forehead instead. She ate a few bites, with no problems other than it tasted disgusting. She let Michaela and I reposition her, change her and get her comfy.

The bad parts:

And I am leaving out some details for obvious reasons.

When we got there she was grey, she didn't know our names, although she did call me big mouth lol. She didn't know Michaela and she didn't recognize pictures of her cats that I printed off to help motivate her. Since she was grey, I looked at her concentrator because it was only on 3 liters on Sunday, and again today, it was on 3 liters. I turned it up to 4, found her nurse, listened to her tell me what I already knew. Went back to the room, gave it about 10 minutes, she needed the bedpan, so I called out. She wasn't doing any better, so I trace her tubing with my eyes only to see that the tubing extension attatched to her nasal cannula was not connected. It was tangled in her phone cord and partially under this small hutch/microwave cart thing in her room.

I put them back together and slowly she started pinking up again. I meant to take my pulse ox with me, but forgot it. After a few minutes of oxygen, she knew who we were, knew the cat pictures where her cats, and wanted to try to eat.

Her nurse today was the ADON of that facility. I let her know that I was not impressed with the care she was receiving this far in this stay. I reiterated all the things that she needs help with, that was discussed on 3 different days (she has been there 5 days). 2 days of which were the same nurse and same STNA, one day was the admissions nurse.

My mom has this 1 very brief chance, to strengthen. How can you do that, when the minimums.... oxygen, fluids, foods, a tiny dose of pain meds to make physical therapy a little easier because of the 3 rounds of CPR to save her life, arent being met?
It's very basic care, it shouldn't have to be asked about multiple times, and I definitely should not walk in to her not getting oxygen because it wasn't properly hooked up and she can't use the call light well (physically) and is too confused to know that she needs to.

4 star facility, what happens in 2 star facilities?

I ****CHOSE**** to drive an hour each way, to try to ensure she is cared for properly. So far, I'm not impressed (except for the scopolamine patch to reduce nausea and dizziness)

2 good things came from this. She is still alive at the moment, and I was not arrested because i was able to maintain self control.

Shan, You might want to have a word with patient/family advocacy & describe the issues. Your mother could have died from that oxygen tube situation. The fact that no one checked and she was visibly gray is very alarming. They need to be aware that things are not being done properly. I'm so glad you went and checked on her. If I'd found my mother in that condition and the oxygen tube wasn't hooked up properly, I would be seriously angry.
I had a great uncle who died after surgery because the oxygen tank they hooked him to during surgery was empty & no one checked. Medical malpractice is a huge problem and it continues if no one does anything about it.

The dogs chewed the power cord to my laptop-- they chewed the part hardwired to the power brick. So I borrowed a wired mouse from my brother and am using my desktop but it is saying it isn't a genuine copy of windows and some other crap I will need to fix. I hope I can find the code thingy I got when I bought windows to set it right.

I have a hard time seeing the screen since I'm used to it being closer. I need some computer glasses.

I slept all day yesterday and am still tired. I'll be heading to Bestbuy when it opens so I can get an adapter for a laptop charger.

I was going to add, I've tried swapping in quinoa for rice in majudara. It's still passable but not as good.

Shawarma shouldn't be too hard. For just one person, I would do it as a two-step process: first bake a beef & lamb meatloaf spiced with the same spice mix as the majudara, plus maybe some caraway or fennel seeds but don't overdo it. Plus just a hint of freshly chopped mint. Make the meatloaf so it holds together really well, maybe that means using two eggs instead of one. Then refrigerate it, slice it real thin, and put your slices under the broiler or pan-fry them to crisp up the edges. Serve over french fries of course! Garnish with red cabbage or beets and radishes and a pickle. Drizzle with more tahina.

Btw, I often joke about how outside the US most food amounts to "saucy protein chunks served over rice".

Oh, I wouldn't try that unless it was for 6 people or so. I don't know how you do it with ground beef though.

Shan... Sorry for your troubles, but there is no such thing as a good nursing home. There might be good Nurses within, but the admins are worthless. I would move her to a local place if you can so you can see her more.

Oh, I wouldn't try that unless it was for 6 people or so. I don't know how you do it with ground beef though.
If I lived alone I'd just make a bunch of it, eat half this week and freeze the other half for another week, but if you want to save it for a special occasion when you have company that makes sense too.

It doesn't have to be ground beef; anywhere from one to two thirds of it should be lamb or something that tastes like lamb (e.g. goat, kangaroo) but the other half can be something milder like bison. You just have to make sure it has enough fat.

We are having a different conversation, or you know of a version I have never heard of... The Shawarma I'm talking about is spiced thin sliced meat packed onto a spit and roasted, then they slice it off... Or, since I don't have a Levantine kitchen, skipping that part.

@shan2themax sorry to hear of the troubles your Mom is living through via the nursing home
I have found that the more that you are there the more staff attention will be for your Mom. And I found that the couple of times I took a cake or cookies to the nursing home staff where my Dad was, seemed to help them remember him in a favorable way and they did take good care of him.
Best wishes for you and especially for your Mom.

We are having a different conversation, or you know of a version I have never heard of... The Shawarma I'm talking about is spiced thin sliced meat packed onto a spit and roasted, then they slice it off... Or, since I don't have a Levantine kitchen, skipping that part.
No that's exactly what I'm taking about. I'm describing a way to make essentially the same thing but without the need for a huge vertical spit.

food talk is making me hungry but I'm tired.

They had the adapter that lets me charge the charger but I need to order one to charge the laptop with the charger. The charger didn't come with the appropriate cable. Kinda miffed about that.

But I got some stuff at Samsclub and Walmart. Found a nice neck pillow that is comfy. Bought some smaller Corelle brand plates since Mom kept griping about the plates being too big.

Mom keeps insisting on eating carbs. Especially potatoes. I'm trying to avoid eating them and have been eating grilled chicken.

Still waiting to hear back from the person who might want to adopt the puppies.

I'm using my desktop as my laptop's battery ran out. I wonder if its possible to get a new battery. The one I have drains super fast. Can't get my desktop to recognize my cordless mouse so using a crappy corded one for now.

No that's exactly what I'm taking about. I'm describing a way to make essentially the same thing but without the need for a huge vertical spit.

Same spices? You can't pack Ground Lamb on a spit. I'm not trying to be a Democrat Mascot, but if you are thinking of something else, I want to know that recipe also.

Z... You seem to buy a lot of electronics stuff, and I keep forgetting to pitch this markdowns site. If people want to know how to use it, I'll explain it, but it's pretty straight forward...

https://brickseek.com/

The dogs chewed the power cord to my laptop-- they chewed the part hardwired to the power brick. So I borrowed a wired mouse from my brother and am using my desktop but it is saying it isn't a genuine copy of windows and some other crap I will need to fix. I hope I can find the code thingy I got when I bought windows to set it right.
Have you checked the power cord to see if it can be repaired?

Same spices? You can't pack Ground Lamb on a spit. I'm not trying to be a Democrat Mascot, but if you are thinking of something else, I want to know that recipe also.
Yeah, the spices would be the same or close. (Possibly double the paprika, and add lemon juice?) Shawarma at restaurants often uses a mixture of beef and lamb too, so the flavor should be identical.

I said ground instead of shaved lamb, because since you don't have a big vertical spit, you'd start by making a meatloaf, and shaved meat stacks well but wouldn't hold together for that format. So instead you bake and then refrigerate the meatloaf, then slice it real thin, and then broil or pan fry the slices, to get that same shaved-style crispiness.

I know what shawarma is; I am of middle eastern background, also I'm an adventurous eater anyway. My recipe idea is based on the same modification I've seen done (but never personally tried) for making gyros at home.

Another idea is one I've used for making Mexican style pastor (basically the same thing but pork, marinated in spices and pineapple) at home. For shawarma you would use thickly-marinated meat chunks, not ground meat, and you pack them on metal skewers, then roast them in the oven over a baking sheet. You can finish in the broiler if you need those crispy edges. If you start with shaved beef and lamb you can probably just take it off the skewers at the end and be good to go. It might just fall right off onto that baking sheet!

Dang now I'm hungry. I wanna try making this...

I know what shawarma is; I am of middle eastern background, also I'm an adventurous eater anyway. My recipe idea is based on the same modification I've seen done (but never personally tried) for making gyros at home.

My Dad loved swawama from the street vendors in downtown Cairo. He was there for year in 1984 and just absorbed the Egyptians. He totally loved it there.

I've never had shawarma. We've never lived anywhere with much Middle Eastern culture or cuisine.

I did check the cord to see if it could be repaired. Friend said it looks like it can but he's going to to be busy this week bc his gf got denied food stamps & she's completely mooching off of him again so he has to work overtime to support her lazy crazy behind.

He said I can find some heat shrink sleeves at o'reilly's. I'm trying to work out when I can meet up with him. Just woke up and my vision is blurry as hell. Dogs puked in the kitchen but I'm not up to bending to pick it up just yet. I thought I put both of them up but apparently Peanutbutter is out.

Back