What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spicoli, with the way the roads are routed here, it would be a lot farther and really not worth the effort to go that far. While something may seem closer as the crow flies, the way the roads twist and go all around & are substandard, it would be too much wear and tear on the vehicles & with idiot drivers, it would be more danger than its worth. I've nearly been in wrecks just going an hour away bc other drivers don't know how to drive properly. Speaking of wrecks, I witnessed one last time I was in Alexandria. Some idiot blew through a stop, hit the car that had the right of way, bounced back slightly and then kept giving it gas and trying to push her car out of his way but her car wouldn't move sideways so he was stuck. If there hadn't been a car behind the jerk, he probably would have tried to back up and flee the scene. It looked like a brand new car that got hit. Lady jumped out looking super angry (can't really blame her).

I cooked for Mom and she's happy, although her stomach is still sensitive. I'm feeling tired today so I will get some rest. Tomorrow I will probably go to the store to grab some stuff mom said she's out of.

NC isn't the longest state in the US but it has the longest numbered US highway, US 64 which is 604 miles from the NC/TN border to the ocean at Nags head.
I haven't tried to verify but Wikipedia says US 101 is 1540 miles from Tumwater Washington to LA California. Within CA, US 101 is 808 miles.

I was wrong, apparently the wording meant it's the longest numbered highway in the US (rather than the NC portion being longest). US 64 is 2,236 miles total.
U.S. Route 64 (US 64) is the longest numbered route in the U.S. state of North Carolina, running 604 miles (972 km) from the Tennessee state line to the Outer Banks. The route passes through the westernmost municipality in the state, Murphy, and one of the most easternmost municipalities, Manteo, making US 64 a symbolic representation of the phrase "from Murphy to Manteo" which is used to refer to the expanse of the state. The highway is a major east-west route through the central and eastern portion of the state.

Last edited:
I knew that US 101 had the potential of being longer but it maybe due to it being chopped into segments rather than being continuous led Wikipedia to make the claim for US 64 in NC.
Interesting! I suspect this is an instance of no editor bothering to check - and perhaps there being no specific standard. The only places I can think of where 101 might be considered chopped into segments is the sections through downtown San Francisco & Eureka. Those sections certainly have street names - but I have driven them many times and my memory is that the entire sections have signs indicating they are also Hwy 101. Just checked Google Maps and it labels 101 through downtown SF. Do you know if there are sections of US 64 that have local street names or is it only called US 64?

Started hearing weird sort of crackling noises from over near my desktop pc. Started smelling electrical burning as well but didn't see anything. Went to the store, came back, and pc had rebooted. Tried using it and it worked a little but then stuff started shutting down. It froze up. I rebooted but it got stuck at a loading menu. Wouldn't turn off with buttons on the front. Had to flip the power switch off. Let it sit awhile, turned it back on, more crackling sounds and then I saw smoke coming from the APC (power backup). Not sure if my power supply from the PC is causing it or if its the APC. Or both. APC seems to be working for everything else.

So, now there is that strong electrical smell in my room and it sucks.

Interesting! I suspect this is an instance of no editor bothering to check - and perhaps there being no specific standard. The only places I can think of where 101 might be considered chopped into segments is the sections through downtown San Francisco & Eureka. Those sections certainly have street names - but I have driven them many times and my memory is that the entire sections have signs indicating they are also Hwy 101. Just checked Google Maps and it labels 101 through downtown SF. Do you know if there are sections of US 64 that have local street names or is it only called US 64?
I was wrong and apparently you were composing your reply as I was editing mine so look again at my post #5,263 above.

US 101 does turn into interstate in a couple of places but US 64 may do that as well.

Using my laptop- Anyone know enough about computer electrical to know if its my desktop pc- maybe power supply causing some sort of short or having some sort of short or if it's my APC (power backup) or both that is causing the smoking from the APC and crackling sounds (I couldn't tell which thing they were coming from since they are directly next to one another).

I found some baked beans with pork meat in them at Walmart. They are better than I expected. I might get more even though I'm sure they have a lot of salt.

I wish I could contribute to discussion of the maps and routes but I absolutely suck with directions and maps. LOL. Google Maps with Street View is my friend. Whenever I have to go somewhere new, I use it to see what the location looks like so I know where to turn. Helps when there are good landmarks in the area.

I remember taking some very loooong road trips as a kid. We moved from Virginia to California in a vehicle that didn't have air conditioning. There was a lot of "Are we there yet" and "he looked at me" "she breathed on me" "his hand is on my side!" & parents saying "I don't care if you kill each other, just do it quietly!!" Lots of singing of "This is the song that never ends" and other repetitive things.

Started hearing weird sort of crackling noises from over near my desktop pc. Started smelling electrical burning as well but didn't see anything. Went to the store, came back, and pc had rebooted. Tried using it and it worked a little but then stuff started shutting down. It froze up. I rebooted but it got stuck at a loading menu. Wouldn't turn off with buttons on the front. Had to flip the power switch off. Let it sit awhile, turned it back on, more crackling sounds and then I saw smoke coming from the APC (power backup). Not sure if my power supply from the PC is causing it or if its the APC. Or both. APC seems to be working for everything else.

So, now there is that strong electrical smell in my room and it sucks.
So, something could be about to erupt in flames, and you go to the store?

zannej- Computers don't need an APC so take it out of the circuit and see if the problem goes away.

Spicoli, I thought maybe a bug had gotten zapped or something at first. Wasn't sure what it was, but I turned off other stuff. The smell and sound had stopped before I left.
Turns out the cats puked on the APC & it corroded the port the computer was plugged into.

Eddie, at my house I need one because we get frequent brownouts and power outages. It gives me time to shut my computer down properly if the power blinks out.

I unplugged it and saw the port was corroded. Moved it to a different port, didn't like the sounds it made. Got a new surge protector & plugged it in to a different port on the APC. No weird sounds. Tested it out and computer is running fine. I first tested the computer plugged into the surge protector separately & there was no issue. But some of the USB ports on the back of my computer no longer work. Probably got shorted out. My new power strip has USB ports so I can charge more stuff.

My friend messaged me that he was out of milk & food & tp. I forgot some stuff at the store last time (light bulbs, batteries, etc) so I picked him up and he helped me remember the stuff on my list. Got him some soup, milk, and tp. He helped me pick out the surge protector power strip thing and found lightbulbs for me.

Thunderstorm had me sleeping until after 5pm. It's like a lullaby. LOL.

Snugglebum came inside bc he didn't like the rain so he's happily sleeping on a blanket next to me.

I got up early because I was thinking about needing to clean stuff. I decided to go to areas of the house I don't normally go to & noticed a strong cat crap odor. I found a huge pile of cat crap under the sideboard. With my sinus/allergy issues I can't smell things very well. I filled 3/4 of a 13gallon trash bag. Yick. I'll have to find a way to get some carpet cleaner under there. There was a foaming can of carpet shampoo but it was rusted and covered in crap. I should have checked there sooner but with my back issues I hadn't been up to bending or getting down on the floor and trying to get back up. I had a hell of a time managing to get back up. I'm taking a break and then will resume more cleaning.

I forget how finicky PCs can be with improper shutdown. Since I have little need for full PC capability I mostly use a Chromebook which is instant on/off.

I got up early because I was thinking about needing to clean stuff. I decided to go to areas of the house I don't normally go to & noticed a strong cat crap odor. I found a huge pile of cat crap under the sideboard. With my sinus/allergy issues I can't smell things very well. I filled 3/4 of a 13gallon trash bag. Yick. I'll have to find a way to get some carpet cleaner under there. There was a foaming can of carpet shampoo but it was rusted and covered in crap. I should have checked there sooner but with my back issues I hadn't been up to bending or getting down on the floor and trying to get back up. I had a hell of a time managing to get back up. I'm taking a break and then will resume more cleaning.

This is on amazon and works pretty well
OdoBan Pet Solutions 32oz Spray... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMM6JVF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

So, I know it's been a couple of weeks since I posted about my mom, unfortunately she is not getting better and is now receiving hospice services as of yesterday.
This is not how I would have liked the end of her life to look like. I feel bad that she is in a nursing home with hospice instead of home with hospice, but i guess we don't always get what we want or get to choose how things go.

Of note, please talk to you loved ones about what you do and don't want at the end of your life. I know it is hard, but it is so very important.

Shan, Thanks for the link! I'm so very sorry. I know you can't talk about the legal issues, but I hope things are going well on hat front at least. Your mother is fortunate that she has you to check on her. I hope my mother never needs hospice care, but I know it might come to that someday. I've told my family that I'd rather be euthanized than have to go into a nursing home.

I did a little more light cleaning but I misplaced the flashlight I'd been using and now I'm irritated with myself because I really like that one and I have no idea where the hell I put it.

Had no internet most of the day after I posted. I found the modem unplugged. Mom must have accidentally kicked it out of the APC when scooting her chair back. I moved it to a different port where she can't kick it, but my wifi adapter didn't want to detect the modem when it came back on and now my desktop doesn't recognize my wifi adapter. Says "unknown usb device". Ugh. I can't make out what brand the stupid thing is. I may need to get a new one. I'd had an ASUS one but my friend borrowed it and lost it.

I forget how finicky PCs can be with improper shutdown. Since I have little need for full PC capability I mostly use a Chromebook which is instant on/off.
The newer computers from past 15 years don't seem to mind unusual shut downs... just boot right back up... ask if you want to restore whatever you had up at the time... I usually say no, don't want anything from previous session carrying over filling up memories...

So, I know it's been a couple of weeks since I posted about my mom, unfortunately she is not getting better and is now receiving hospice services as of yesterday.
My Mom was able to stay in the house I built her in 1979 and that she loved so much all but the last 8 days of her life when she was in hospice in 2014... she passed at 94... I was still working then and not able to get out to her place and take care of her as much as I would have liked to...

This is not how I would have liked the end of her life to look like. I feel bad that she is in a nursing home with hospice instead of home with hospice, but i guess we don't always get what we want or get to choose how things go.

Of note, please talk to you loved ones about what you do and don't want at the end of your life. I know it is hard, but it is so very important.

Sorry that's happened. I went through it end of 2018 and thru March 2019 when Dad was passing. Hospice was good for him and helps the family also. they even had counselors if needed afterwards. It is very hard when they cannot be at home to ease out of this life.

When I lost my wife two hospitals sent letters. One a letter informing me that I was the guarantor of her bills. The other a letter with the After Loss Credo.

The After Loss Credo​

I need to talk about my loss.
I may often need to tell you what happened –
or to ask you why it happened.
Each time I discuss my loss, I am helping myself
face the reality of the death of my loved one.

I need to know that you care about me.
I need to feel your touch, your hugs.
I need you just to be “with” me.
(And I need to be with you.)
I need to know you believe in me and in my
ability to get through my grief in my own way.
(And in my own time.)

Please don’t judge me now –
or think that I’m behaving strangely.
Remember I’m grieving.
I may even be in shock.
I may feel afraid. I may feel deep rage.
I may even feel guilty. But above all, I hurt.
I’m experiencing a pain unlike any I’ve ever felt before.

Don’t worry if you think I’m getting better
and then suddenly I seem to slip backward.
Grief makes me behave this way at times.
And please don’t tell me you “know how I feel,”
or that it’s time for me to get on with my life.
(I am probably already saying this to myself.)
What I need now is time to grieve and to recover.

Most of all, thank you for being my friend.
Thank you for your patience.
Thank you for caring.
Thank you for helping, for understanding.
Thank you for praying for me.
And remember, in the days or years ahead,
when you may have a loss – when you need me
as I have needed you – I will understand.
And then I will come and be with you.

– Barbara Hills LesStrang

Back