What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a safe/easy way to get those magnets out? I don't want to get fried.

If there are two nice magnets in there, they're each $100 magnets as far as I'm concerned so I'd rather not throw them out. Anything else I should try to scrap from my old microwave too?
Wear gloves, and be careful, I've scrapped over many many microwaves, and have never had a problem...But YES, they are GREAT magnets...

Well, I scrap just about everything in the microwave, but I have become anal about it all, the aluminum fins around the microwave I throw in my aluminum pile...

I waited weeks for the repair of my broken microwave... it's probably a broken magnetron. The repair visit itself would be something like $120 and then another $300-400 to replace the broken magnetron.
a new OTR microwave,
Not sure if they inflated up but last time I looked online for a magnetron tube they were about $50.
While I was thinking about the magnetron tube the timer also quit, so I gave up on that one.
Repairman was prolly telling you a new microwave would be best choice.
New is cheaper than repair for many electronics/TVs now. Service call prices alone have become killer.
I got over 20 years out of a Sharp microwave, only 8 from the ultra powerful Panasonic.
I save the steel, especially stainless steel, cases from microwaves for my projects...
Since wall cabinets are 12" deep, platters in over the range microwaves max at 12" diameter.
I like to microwave turkey or 1/2 a turkey so prefer the 16 1/2" platter of the 2.2 cu. ft. 1350 watt counter top microwaves.

the contractor that screwed me over several years ago overdosed on purpose this past weekend. I hate it so much that he chose a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
31 year old that helped me with my roof a couple years ago O.D.ed. Apparently junkie lady next door that usually has nothing to do with them went over there and even she was shocked he had been lying dead on their living room floor for like 24 hours and his junky roommate hadn't done anything about it.
Addicts lose good judgement and make bad choices so that's not surprising. One of main reasons I avoid all addictions, I don't want to do something stupid that lands me in jail for 50 years... too late to change your mind about what you did...

Ha! I just read this;
“If you collect 100 black ants and 100 fire ants and put them in a glass jar, nothing will happen. But if you take the jar, shake it violently and leave it on the table, the ants will start killing each other.
Red believes that black is the enemy, while black believes that red is the enemy when the real enemy is the person who shook the jar.
The same is true in society. Men vs Women. Black vs White. Faith vs Science. Young vs Old. Etc…
Before we fight each other, we must ask ourselves:
Who shook the jar?”
~ David Attenborough ~

You're installing it 18" off the ground?
I'm not in my kitchen this second but going off memory I think it's about 2 feet above my flat-glass range. I figured I could lay a bunch of cardboard over the stove and put the jack stands on that. I think they can get up that high...

I'm not in my kitchen this second but going off memory I think it's about 2 feet above my flat-glass range. I figured I could lay a bunch of cardboard over the stove and put the jack stands on that. I think they can get up that high...
Mine is 17" above the range. If you use jack stands on a glass top range, you kill the glass top.

Are you okay?

Go get a neighbor, say "Here's a 6 pack, please hold this until I get this unbolted." There *should be* 2 big screws at the top front that hold it in. When those are removed, it will swing down because it's attached in the back by a bracket on each side.

PROBABLY...

When the screws are out, one or both of you pull it off the brackets, of course remembering to unplug it.

DO NOT remove the brackets, they might work for your new one.

Attachments

• Micro.JPG
    Micro.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
I felt a little light headed today so refrained from working on my patio moss removal project. It may be from being off my BP supplement since last Friday. A new supply arrived today so I am taking one extra with each dose today to reload my system.

I am may pull a little English ivy that I let get away from me.

Spicoli, I know how to do the microwave uninstall/install, I uninstalled the one that was in the house when I moved in and installed the one I have now. (And yeah I reused the old cleat.) A neighbor helped with the install back then. I just didn't feel like bugging him this time; he's already helping me with a few other projects.

My idea with the jack stands was that I'd put something between them and the glass. I said cardboard before but actually even better would be a big piece of plywood or something that spans wider than the stove, so the pressure is distributed to the frame of the stove rather than across the cooktop.

17" doesn't seem like much clearance. I am in my kitchen now and it's definitely close to 2'.

Last edited:
Oops. it as Redneck who had the dog that was ill. I got two posts confused. LOL.

Woke up to one of my cats on top of me digging. Thought he was going to pee on me or something and then realized he already had. It smelled awful (different than usual cat pee smell) so I think he may have some kind of infection. I'll have to take him to the vet. I'm procrastinating on doing laundry. He got my knee pillow, favorite blanket, roll pillow, shirt, cardigan, sheet, and waterproof mattress pad. I'm about to put everything in the laundry basket and haul it over to the laundry room and hope I don't trip over all my brother's junk he has in the hallway. I'll probably toss some other shirts & pants and such in the wash along with the bedding.

Cats are lucky I love them so much.

I went to the courthouse today to file the summary release from administration since my mom had no assets. Let me tell you what, I WAS doing ok since she passed, but the rudeness over my questions was ridiculous. Apparently in my county its a secret what forms you need.... some counties have links to forms needed.... mine doesn't.
So.... then I called a couple of estate attorneys..... cheapest was $500 plus the $200 filing fee..... there is literally only about $1100 in her account. I am so irritated at how much greed is in this country.
She literally had nothing of physical value in life. Why does this have to be so ridiculous.
UGH!

I still can't find a rescue dog.

Eddie, if you're willing to get a short-haired dog with a squarish head, they are all labeled "pit bulls" and are overflowing the shelters. In my experience they are uniformly sweet and loyal.
I have two dwarf Pitties that Ruby and I rescued from a local shelter because they were slated for euthanasia. We need to find permanent homes for them. They have been neutered and have all their shots. They are the most loving dogs you’d ever want.

20A62F99-A780-4422-8C75-45040AF4303B.jpeg
They are brothers and are about a year old. We would be willing to drive them closer to NC

I went to the courthouse today to file the summary release from administration since my mom had no assets. Let me tell you what, I WAS doing ok since she passed, but the rudeness over my questions was ridiculous. Apparently in my county its a secret what forms you need.... some counties have links to forms needed.... mine doesn't.
So.... then I called a couple of estate attorneys..... cheapest was $500 plus the $200 filing fee..... there is literally only about $1100 in her account. I am so irritated at how much greed is in this country.
She literally had nothing of physical value in life. Why does this have to be so ridiculous.
UGH!
I think I recommended this to Zannej once: have you looked into legal clinics? OU isn't too far from you and they might have one. They might do this kind of work cheap or pro bono.

I probably make too much money for probono. The problem is that her estate is <5k.... so that's why I was doing the Summary release from Administration. Its $200 to file it, and if not filed correctly/with correct forms, its another $200 to refile. I called a few law offices, one gave a flat $500 fee, plus filing cost, one said split between $175/hr and $145/hr, dependent upon which person did what work.... and another offered to set up a "consultation" to answer questions for $246. There is barely $1k in an account, she has no other assets. I did think about maybe seeing if the NH could find out for me. I had to go there today and they asked me if I wanted to come work with them, or just sit in the office and play psychologist (we were telling stories). By the time I got done at the courthouse, they were gone already. I may try to call in the morning before my work week starts up again.
There are some counties that list what you need on the website or pdf form..... my county just isn't one of them unfortunately.

Shan, I was thinking maybe a legal clinic might agree to help based on how much is in your mom's account, not based on how much might be in yours.

But, I just did a quick search and although OU has a law school it doesn't look like they have a law clinic. Sorry. Ohio famously has a lot of universities so maybe there's another nearby? But yeah, not that one.

Shan, I think Flyover nailed it. It's the value of the estate your personal assets should not be a factor or even exploited in the probate filing.

The AG of OH might be of some help in getting some advice on pertinent forms. If you do email the AG be sure to mention the approx value of the estate and that it would be rather ironic if its assets were exhausted trying to close the probate.

I emailed the NC AG complaining that I didn't want to pay several hundred dollars for a POA. A nice lady sent me a link where I could download a template.

Got my laundry in the dryer. Cooked for Mom. Had some porkchops and deleted over 1k e-mails. Still have over 800 pages of e-mails left to delete. Most of it spam.

Back