What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Flyover I have always wanted to be able to sing..... its a joyful noise, and thats it lol. I told myself I would take singing lessons when my kids were grown.. well they are grown. Hoping to find a place to do that in the future. Maybe I will search YouTube for lessons 🤣🤣🤣

@redneck I totally understand that, I hate it to..... I live on ibuprofen jist to have some mobility.

Today, I checked in where I was doing surveys... and noticed I had 17,800 points... So just cashed them in, and gave me $150.00 for Amazon... So may look on there later, and see if there is anything I really really want... Isn't there a song that goes like, really really want... LOL...
Didn't know anyone ever got anything from those surveys... gotten emails that promise me something for a 5 minute survey, but after a half hour of endless answering surveys they never ended and I got nothing except wasted time...

@Buzz, Yes sometimes conformity is enforced by a dictator. I don't know how conformist N. Korea would be without theirs, but my money is on "less". And no, I don't see much independence in most Americans. There's variation in taste, as you mention, but that's not the same thing. America used to be even more conformist too (e.g. look at candid public photos from 100 years ago). The point was, I don't think you can make broad characterizations of whole societies.

I got both a Covid and a flu shot, one in each arm. They told me to watch for side-effects, and this is what they described, plus I'm starting to feel better so I'm guessing that's what it was.

The limbs aren't over my house, but some of them are close enough to allow squirrels easy roof access.

You can make money from surveys but it's never much (I think I got $10 once) and usually to get more you have to participate in more intensive ways like phone interviews or receiving and sending back some kind of device. You never get to this from spam websites, you get to it from places like Researchmatch.com that are legit recruiting sites for academic studies. (At least in my experience; RedneckGrump's may be different.) I figure if I have 15 minutes free to take a survey and get a $5 Amazon card, that's a better way to spend 15 minutes than, I dunno, writing about what I did today on a forum! :p

Shan, join a choir. That's the cheapest and funnest way to learn how to sing.

Regarding spoiled milk, since a half gallon of milk will usually spoil before complete use (I occasionally like a bowl of cereal or added to my mashed potatoes) ,we have changed to the lactate free milk. Not for the lactate, but the exparation date is at least a month long, rather than the 10 day max with regular milk. I find no difference in the taste, but it sure lasts alot longer.

Spicoli, just so you know, lactate is what a woman does when she's breastfeeding her baby. You're thinking of lactose-free milk. It gets that way by adding lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose. I still get lactase/lactose/lactic acid confused when I'm speaking, but in writing they stand out to me.

I think lactose-free milk is usually ultra-homogenized. I'm not sure what that means (they boil it hotter? longer?), but that's why it lasts so long. You can buy ultra-homogenized regular milk too.

My son claims lactose-free and regular milk taste different even when of the same brand, purchased from the same store at the same time. He is a connoisseur I guess.

It started raining on me but I finished mowing anyway.

Last edited:
I'm sitting on my screened in porch for the first time in 15 years and just taking it all in, listening to klove. I realized today that I still haven't put my 2 person swing from Aldi together.... and now...I CAN ENJOY IT ON THE SCREENED IN PORCH!
SO.... here i am picking up where my daughter left off the other day. My dogs are enjoying being outside with someone instead of just each other.
Its too bad that I never got to enjoy this with my mom.
I called my garbage company today to see how close I am to getting the dumpster (since my piles are getting big lol). There had been 9 in front of me and now there are just 2!!! We are almost there. It will have to be dumped a few times, but that's ok. She told me to go ahead and put the extra wide chair, cushions and ottoman out tonight for pickup in the morning, so I rolled it end over end from back yard to front yard. She also said I could put 2 extra bags a week out with no charge (extra) while I wait.

Also.... update to washer leveling.... I put a level on it and this is how it turned out. Turned out pretty good to be eyeballed. (I don't think I posted this yet???)20220926_122836.jpg

Tomorrow is a packed day... eye exam, massage, courthouse. Then my work week begins. I'm gonna try to make a list so that I can get specific things done, instead of what pops into my noggin. I feel like this is a never ending process most of the time.

Ok, well I just found some things we hadn't gotten to on the top shelves, I vacuumed out here.... so now I need a new vacuum cleaner, cause thats gross.

Hope all is well and everyone is gearing up for a good weekend!

Thanks, Redneckgrump.

Shan, great jobf! Hope everything is going well.

I'm having trouble sitting up. Back is screaming at me for it. Spent the rest of yesterday, last night, and today lying down to try to not aggravate my back. Need to get something to eat though.

My vision is blurry so I'm having trouble reading stuff on my screen. Woke up with my left eye all fuzzy. It's not as fuzzy as it was before but still pretty fuzzy.
And it looks like my brother left the door open to my bathroom and all the cats are running in so I have to go chase them out. Ugh. I just looked over and noticed it.

Well, I didn't get to get into that stuff. The dogs were barking like crazy so I went back in to see what was going on Nd the guy that cut the bush down was here. He just got back from vacation. So, he gave me a price $225 to get rid of all of the honeysuckle. That small tree, that huge bush, most of the stuff that I sat outback that wasn't in bags, and weedeat and cut everything off of my fence line, as well as take all the stuff sitting in the driveway that I don't want. So... he is saving me a couple of dumpster dumps. I am so excited. He took a load with him tonight and will be back on Sunday.

ETA: He is also taking all the stuff to the left of the storage building also, and spraying some brush killer along the fence line.

I claybarred, then waxed my truck today. Fortunately, I have a covered carport, since it was 104 degrees.

Well, hello again Folks... Well after I was on this morning, went back to bed, and got up at 1 this afternoon... and am getting tired already, must be the drugs...

Got really p1ssed off with TSN tonight... Last year I could get all the games on NHL.com for $19.99 a month, some games I have to put the VPN on, and make it look like I was living in the city the sens were playing... But nope, not this year, we have passed it on to Sportsnet... and they don't televise all the Sens games, they share that with TSN...(should add, we don't have cable or Sat. TV) we stream everything on the Firestick 4k. So, Sportsnet charged me $159 for the season... and then got on TSN... So I thought ok, we ll I can pirate the game and watch it on NHL.66, but it's not always the best resolution... So tonight, I said, Ok, I will pay the $199... Well, phuck! They tell me to do this, and do that, and download it from here... So I did all that and I get what looks like on a cell phone screen,, and looked like sh1t on my 83" tv... So my wife says watch it on the laptop... So after a while of doing this and doing that, it tells me the video isn't working properly... I feel sorry to whom ever gets my email tomorrow, cuz I was phucking p1ssed... It's ok. reading your messages help me settle down a bit, so Thank you for that folks...
@redneck I totally understand that, I hate it to..... I live on ibuprofen jist to have some mobility.
@shan2themax I wish ibuprofen would settle my pain... I take 40mg of morphine with a couple of shots of Forty Creek Rye... and I wear an Opoid patch, that gives me a 10mmg every hour for a week... and if I don't wear the patch, I don't get out of bed...
Didn't know anyone ever got anything from those surveys... gotten emails that promise me something for a 5 minute survey, but after a half hour of endless answering surveys they never ended and I got nothing except wasted time...
I've been doing surveys since the car accident took us out of the workforce... Probably made about $800 over 14 years...which isn't really a lot... I usually do them the nights I cannot sleep... After I visited all the forums I belong to... But YOU are right, it's a lot of surveys and BULLSH1T...

Anyways Folks, Hope YOU all have a good one...
Cheers~
me

Spicoli, adorable little face peeking through the box.
Yeah, that's how they get you... Never again... She has been a fighter since day 1...

$96 to ship it (including insurance). While I was bending down to stuff bubble wrap into it I pulled my back. Had to stop and put ice packs. Can't bend at all. Currently have heat on it while ice pack is re-freezing. My friend commented "All that work you did and you got your a** kicked by a box". LOL.

So, I won't be cleaning today.

That's an INSANE shipping charge... Hope your back gets better soon!

Attachments

• Baby.JPG
    Baby.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
And I apparently failed reading. Either you or Spicoli should get a different avatar, I'm getting you guys confused. Didn't you have the Dragnet guy or something?

Yeah, he tried to copy me, but his is just a drawing and mine is REAL WOOD!

Neener
Neener
Neener.

I use Organic Whole Grass Fed Milk, and it usually has a good date on it, the newest half gallon says Nov. 23

@RedneckGrump I hate that your back is that bad. Have you had surgery or anything? I am hoping I don't have to go that route. Ibuprofen doesn't help my back much, but it makes me less stiff. I have chronic achilles tendinitis in one foot and peroneal tendinitis in the other. I have struggles with joint/tendon pain since I was 15, but being overweight at this stage of life isn't helping me out any, but that's a whole other story.
Getting ready for my eye appt, then back/hip massage to limber me up for the work week and then I am going to go to the courthouse and turn this stuff in and hope for the best. Its stressful when it shouldn't be. Idk what I will get into when I get back.... maybe the upper parts of the shelves, or maybe I will take the bookcases apart if they are in bad shape at the bottom.... if they are not, I am going to sanitize them, and take them to my daughter when she gets off work.

I PROBABLY should relax the rest of the evening and finish my laundry.

Maybe thats what I will do is drag the dryer out and make sure that there is nothing building up inside of it..... hmmmm, decisions decisions.

Redneck, which surveys actually work? I've tried them and after doing a survey for 15min it demanded I buy something or subscribe (for a fee) to a service to finish the survey so I was never able to complete them. Can't ever find ones that aren't scams. I miss the days when Amazon paid me to have ads on my website--and when my website still existed. Yahoo bought Geocities and then took down all the geocities sites. Sorry your back is so bad.

Shan, that price the guy quoted sounds reasonable for that amount of work. Dude we hired to cut my weeds charged way more than that, didn't even do most of the work, helped himself to a bunch of our tools and lawn care supplies, walked off & demanded more money to come back and finish while still owing over $800 worth of work (and only bc Mom credited him $300 for coming and cutting a tree off the road when we were stranded). That's probably the main reason she hasn't sued him.

I'm trying to find some glue-up walls for my bathroom. Old ones are falling down. Need to put something behind them that is sturdy. Thinking Hardieboard with Hydrodefense. Pricey but might be worth it to keep the walls from falling down. Purple drywall is another option and cheaper. There is a fiberbond or something like that water resistant self-adhesive drywall tape that can be put over the seams and screws. I was looking stuff up on Lowes when it stopped loading. Tried different browsers to no avail. Either its the site or my ISP. Anyone ever installed cementboard?

Most of the boards will be hidden behind the glue-up walls (If I can find some good walls). Trying to find everything I need to purchase-- the boards, the tape, the screws, and some sort of sealant. I was trying to look up flex seal options when Lowes page stopped working. I think they sell it locally though. Trying to decide if Drylock paint is worth it for the seams or if flex seal would be better. It's going to be painted over in white anyway though. Either satin or semi-gloss.

I currently have my toilet seat sitting over the sink covered in a glaze of vinegar and baking soda in the hopes the stains will come out or at least lighten up. It's closed cell foam so it absorbed all the skin oil and sediment from water splashes and cleanings.

Man, I had so many things I wanted to do today but all of them involve bending and bending is not happening. I'm having to lie down right now to type because sitting up hurts. I'm such a wuss. LOL.

Zannej: As a researcher, you don't want study subjects coming to you saying "Can I take your survey?" because that will cause selection bias and invalidate your results. For that reason, it's hard to find paid surveys that aren't scams just by going out and looking for them. But like I told Buzz, there are legit websites, basically they serve as recruiting services for academics conducting research, where you can indicate your willingness to be contacted by researchers, some of whom pay participants.

The way it works is, you go to a website like Researchmatch.com, sign up, and then you'll periodically get an email saying "Researchers out of such-and-such University are seeking participants who [fit some criteria] to participate in a study [usually a survey but sometimes it's other stuff like phone interviews]. In exchange for participating you will get [whatever the incentive is; often there isn't one]. Are you interested?" and you can click yes or no. Then if you click yes the researchers will follow up by email.

Usually there is no money offered. When money is offered, it's most often a raffle type thing, where what you have a chance to win is usually between $15-100, though sometimes you can flat-out just get a $5 or $10 Amazon card at the end of a half-hour survey. Once in a while they ask you to involve other people (like if the study is looking at parent/child relationships they'll ask you to have your child answer part of the survey, or I've seen ones where it's boss/employee, etc.) and usually for those there is more money because they know they are asking for more effort.

I do not recommend this as a way to make money, only as a way to spend free time you would otherwise waste.

Back