What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a result they prolly euthanize more than they protect from such a fate while leaving us cantankerous old guys dogless.

As a result they prolly euthanize more than they protect from such a fate while leaving us cantankerous old guys dogless.
Yeah, PETA euthanizes almost all the animals they take in, which is of course the perfect model of Liberal Hypocrisy.

If you aren't set on a Carolina, check out Rescue Me. They are just a website and you can donate to them if you want. You contact the owner and exchange info and that's that. I have used them to adopt a Dog, Cat, and adopt out a Dog.

https://www.rescueme.org/

I think another reason they don't allow direct contact is to protect the people who post the dogs from stalking/harassment.

Maybe you could do some stacking to clear at least a 3 foot wide path everywhere in the house.
Label the boxes with magic marker so that don't have to get them back down to see what's in them.
I picked up a couple of these things when they go on sale for $7.95 each. Strong enough to even put the tires of a small car/hot rod onto so can shove it into a corner of the garage out of the way.
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-63098.html
I have a few of those wheeled thingies but can't find them. They are currently buried. I really need to get stuff put up in bins. I have a bunch of stuff lying around loosely and some cardboard boxes busted apart so I need to transfer stuff that fell out.

I despise PETA. I can confirm the RescueMe site works though. That's how I found someone to adopt those destructive redbone coonhound pups.

I got up and cleaned up in my bathroom some, cleared the floor so I could vacuum and adjust the vinyl sheet. Shopvac got clogged by a styrofoam bean thingy and I can't get it out so it won't work until I figure out how to get it out. I'd use a wire hanger if I still had some left. Last time the plumber was out he used my last wire hanger. I'll have to figure something out. I'm taking a break because I started overheating. Found a couple mouse-holes in the wall that will eventually get covered with baseboard but I want to stick some steel wool in there to keep the damn mice out before I put baseboard up. I had some baseboards I was going to put in but the puppies chewed them. Might have some pieces I can salvage though. Need to find my acrylic tape to do a perimeter taping of the vinyl to keep it in place.

In awhile I'll go back in with a push-broom to flatten the vinyl out. Good thing I'm going to have baseboard and quarter round because the mice chewed some edges. Once I have the flooring secured I'll have to mop it.

They don't list a phone number or email?
That is very strange, You would think they would go to all extremes to find their animal's homes...
I recall an old FW magazine article where drywall was used to make wainscoting. Quarter round or cove molding is used inside the DW strips and chair rail molding on top.

View attachment 28356
Have to check that out... Thanks for the idea...

Rescue Me is a good website but they don't list Carolina Dog as a breed. I went through NC, SC, WV and AL listings but didn't see any. If they had any they would have misidentified them as some kind of mix. AL was farther than I thought a bit over 5 hrs my door to ⋅ ⋅ ⋅
A beautiful female Dobe was listed in Greenville, SC but I would need a larger shovel for yard cleanup.

I tried to contact adoptapet.com but saw a thank you for your comment after I clicked submit so I am not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Good luck with the dog search, Eddie!

I went back and did more sweeping in the bathroom. Flooring is almost completely flat but needs some edges trimmed. I'll have to break out my straight edge and the new boxcutter I got (couldn't find my old one). Went to TSC, local lumber store, and Walmart to get stuff. stopped and picked up mail. My windows 10 installation disk came in. I think I'm going to finish sweeping up in the bathroom and see if I can trim it up and lay stuff more flat before I perimeter tape. Need to remember to plug the mouse holes with steel wool. I'll eventually put tape over before I install baseboards just to make it harder for the buggers to get through.

One reason pet adoption websites/companies might play hard to get (so I learned from my aborted search for a greyhound this past year) is there is a lot more demand for dogs than supply so long as the dog isn't a mutt or a "pit bull", so the adoption people can be very picky about who they adopt out to and make you jump through hoops even once you arrive at the front of the line.

Maybe I already did this rant, but I use the scare quotes around "pit bull" because any dog with a squarish head gets called a pit bull as soon as it causes any trouble for anyone. Average Joe off the street (or Average Cop writing up a report) doesn't know the difference between a pit bull, a boxer, and a bulldog. Heck I've seen yellow labs get called pit bulls.

Every pit bull I've met has been sweet and loyal and gentle and playful. Some people I live with are scared by the "well if they DO bite then the bite can be very serious" rationale, but if that wasn't there I'd adopt one, maybe two of them, and I could bring them home tomorrow. No waiting list, no calling around.

I didn't get to the house numbers today, but I did make some actual tangible headway on my next "fun" woodworking project.

Remember that bathtub-sized pond I dug in the spring? This evening I sat and watched tadpoles swimming in it. We've been watching them the past few weeks. They have little legs and arms now. The second image below shows one coming up for air, near the middle-left of the frame.

IMG_2022-09-06_18-59-27.jpeg
IMG_2022-09-06_19-00-36.jpeg

I meant to mention that in my four state Rescue Me search not a single greyhound appeared.

There are actually several breeds considered as pit bull breeds though only one called the APBT.

Last edited:
Cute pond and I love tadpoles. They sometimes hatch in the cows' waterer. I love watching them. I love it when I see the eggs before they hatch and watch them hatch. I once hatched a bunch of little snails and looked at them under a microscope. Their shells were still translucent so I could see their hearts beating. I've always been fascinated with stuff like that.

My sister and my friend have been encouraging on me making progress on the bathroom. I think my friend is happy he's not having to do it. LOL. But he knows how much I procrastinate and how hard it is for me to do stuff so he's happy. I need to take baby steps and pace myself so I don't feel overwhelmed. I think next step is filling mouse holes in the walls. I'm debating whether to use any sort of silicone with it or to just shove it in and cover it with baseboard later.

Ate a salad and cooked for Mom and am about to take a nap.

I've never gotten back to my mobile kitchen island. A month or more ago I intended to cut drawer box material from scrap plywood pieces. That's when I found that I can't lift my portable RAS onto the table. I am considering other approaches to that task but other outside work is in the way. I have English ivy to pull up, some to spray and some on trees to cut and push small bottles of saltwater onto the stems. Plus I'm still in the process of scraping moss off the brick patio. I was saved from working again today by rain. The rain was torrential at times over the weekend. I am going to dump some wood ash on the bricks to see if it will kill the moss spores or whatever t grows from.

Got the numbers done using my handmade cardboard stencil and black spraypaint. It looks okay, but I think I'd like to go in and clean up the edges with a thin light-colored outline, brushed on by hand. Just went in and brushed in a thin outline of light gray (the most durable-looking light-colored outdoor paint I had). Looks much better.

Meanwhile I'm thinking of buying a sliding door like this one. If I buy it I want to create a grate for the bottom half, to resist small humans pushing/leaning on the screen, but I don't know what's the best way to go about it. Should I use wire? Wood? Both? something else? What's the best way to attach it since the frame is metal? I'd be nervous about drilling holes in it.

Last edited:
Meanwhile I'm thinking of buying a sliding door like this one. If I buy it I want to create a grate for the bottom half, to resist small humans pushing/leaning on the screen, but I don't know what's the best way to go about it. Should I use wire? Wood? Both? something else? What's the best way to attach it since the frame is metal? I'd be nervous about drilling holes in it.
I really don't know but will share an experience. The frames are kinda flimsy, at least my Andersen 4' polymer frame is. I had a small human that didn't see the screen run right through it. The screen popped out of the channels and went out with him. There was no damage to either except a small chip out of the bottom of the frame. We just popped it back in good for another 25 years or so.

Doing a slow cooked covered beef oven roast. I added some new potatoes and had a few pieces too many. I decided to try boiled potatoes in white sauce. My mom used to make it and I like it far better than mashed taters. Basically boil taters until tender, drain and add milk with a bit of flour mixed in. Return to heat until it thickens seasoned with salt and black pepper. The black pepper is what makes it good. I consumed it while I wait on the roast. The roast has been in the oven several hours @225° I haven't tested it yet for tenderness.

edit: Pull apart tender but a bit chewy. I removed taters and back to the oven for more hours @200°.

Last edited:
Flyover, I know they sell swinging storm doors that have screen at the top and are solid at the bottom but I don't know about sliding ones. Looks like it's a steel door so it might be magnetic. Maybe you could make a panel out of something not-too-heavy that could be secured with rare earth magnets or magnet strips? Or outdoor grade doublesided sticky tape. Lowes sells screen door inserts. https://www.lowes.com/pl/Screen-doo...serts-Exterior-doors-Windows-doors/4294644683

Eddie, that sounds delicious! Aww, cute bear.

I went to pick up Mom's RX (it was supposed to be ready yesterday) only to find it wasn't ready yet. I told them no worries, I'd come back another day. I saw there had been people losing their damn minds about stuff not being ready and having to wait. They are short-staffed again.
Friend unclogged the shopvac- I hope. He took it apart, made sure hose was clear, and changed the filter.

Power went out for a couple of hours. I stuffed steel wool in the mouse-holes in my bathroom walls. Left the shopvac in my truck bc I had other stuff to bring in and was tired.

Cooked dinner and am about to nap.

In the morning I have to clean up broken glass. Cats knocked a plastic container on the floor. My brother saw it and rather than be an adult and pick it up, he kicked hard and it shattered the glass on the door. Didn't even bother to tell me. I saw it shattered, asked him about it and he said he kicked "the thing" and must have cracked it. I said "You shattered it!" Big shards of glass sticking up. Of course it didn't even occur to him that he should clean it up. I'm sure he doesn't think he should pay to replace it either.

Just updated my computer to Windows 10. I'm about to take a nap now.

G'morning Folks...
Yesterday, the wife and I cleaned up the garage, which is being converted to a continuation from the shop to be more shop...Garage and shop are not big enough to hold the truck...

Had to clean it up... Cuz we bought 60 sheets of drywall... @ $2.00 each... Where at regular price it would have cost us $900...Well, now there's room to put it...

Today, take Carl for his walk...get some gas for tractor... And finish painting the front of the house shutters and doors, and probably cut the grass...

I hope you all have a great day, thank you for your suggestions on the compressor's drain...

Today I hung a new ~4'x3' mirror in the "freeweights" area of my home gym. (The mirror was new to me, anyway; I pulled it from the curb weeks, maybe months ago.) Then I reorganized that area of the gym, it's much better now.

After cleaning the mirror with alcohol spray and a rag, I got annoyed at the disarray of our rag storage under the cabinet, so I solved the problem forever by inventing the Grab-A-Rag 3000XJ™:

16626564367956377446402277218382.jpg 16626563251703015783476345365777.jpg 16626564632522948188812371228521.jpg 16626563559424526506509064818043.jpg

After using it a few times, I discovered (see last picture) that when refilling it, one needs to avoid orienting rags inside it side-by-side and go more for one-on-top-of-the-other, but fortunately it doesn't need to be done any more neatly than that.

(The XJ stands for "extra-genius")

Back