What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RedneckGrump, $2/sheet is an amazing price for drywall. Even sodas (which I don't drink) just about cost more than that these days. Glad you have your garage fixed up.

Flyover, that's a great solution for rags! I'm trying to make out what sort of container that is. Did you cut the lid or was it cut like that already?

I went down to the workshop early this morning to look around for scrap wood pieces. Dug in the bin and couldn't find any round pieces or any chunks small enough to fit inside the door bore hole. Made sure I found the hinge pins for the door I painted so it can be put back on more easily. I really need to get measurements taken and get the hallway cleaned up so I can put in a proper header and take the old door frame out and put the new one in.

Sat back down and cats piled on me and their purring lulled me back to sleep. Just woke up from my nap. I rescued a lizard from the hallway and set it outside up high on a plant leaf in the sun (it was cold-- but it moved so I know it was alive). Hopefully it will warm up and move along. I might eat something before I go grab the shop vac. My balance is off today. And I still need to clean up the broken glass from the lower door window my brother broke.

Yesterday I got myself a bigger trashcan for my bathroom since it was on sale (the can, not my bathroom). I showed the lady at checkout that it was empty and had to show again that it was empty when I was leaving the store & they check the receipt, I made sure to scan it last so it would be easier to find on the receipt. The employees that recognize me never check my receipt but ones that don't usually check if I have something out of a bag. I still hold up the receipt to show the ones that recognize me just so they don't get in trouble.

I'm thinking of being lazy today and resting unless I have to go up to samsclub for some reason. It's my brother's day off. Might see if I can get him to help me unload stuff that got left in the truck from our last trip. Will probably have to do it myself though. He's either sleeping or playing video games.

The container was from dishwasher detergent nuggets. I cut the lid myself.

Oh nice! The lid looked like it was factory cut so you did a great job.
I went to post office and picked up prescriptions at walmart. Was almost out of my thyroid meds. They really have been helping lately. Didn't clean up the broken window yet because my back was bugging me too much. Just ate and will let my stomach settle before I star vacuuming. Tomorrow we'll go to Samsclub.

Making Chili again... I tend to get in a rut and make 6 batches in a row of Crock Pot stuff like Chili and Clam Chowder and Beef Stew. I really ramp that up in the Winter when I'm stuck inside for 6 Months.

This Fat is from 8 pounds of Grass Fed Beef. I'm going to ditch it soon, but am waiting for the dump run. I only saved it to just think back how my folks never drained anything. It was all added for flavor... I'm just of the complete opposite mindset, but they lived into their 80's, so as far as my lineage goes, Beef Fat doesn't affect us. I can't eat Pork very much at all.

On a separate note, I keep a bottle of Evan Williams on hand because people tend to like it... Or they only show up when they know I have some... Or they can't stand me period, but love to drink...

Has anybody tried adding a Shot of Whiskey to a Chili cook?

Attachments

• Fat.JPG
    Fat.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
As I ate my gourmet burger this evening I arrived at a conclusion. The burgers I like best are the thin caramelized burgers cooked on a griddle topped with cheese after they are flipped. I think the reason I like them is less grease and a better ratio of beef to lettuce, tomato and mayo. And I guess to bun as well as it always mashes down. Another plus it's easier to chew and less messy.

As soon as I make a small (scrap wood) tabletop for my pedestal I can use my small George Foreman grill, my induction burner or my Benihana griddle on the deck or patio and only use my wood fired grill when I want a flame seared steak. I use a cast iron fajita plate when I want to sear or grill with the induction burner.

Last edited:
Has anybody tried adding a Shot of Whiskey to a Chili cook?
I'm guessing the main effect will be adding that "cooked alcohol" flavor (which I associate with dishes like Beef stroganoff). Usually alcohol is added while deglazing, I think, but maybe if you added it later during the Long Simmer some of the whiskey flavor would go into the chili? Depends how dark the whiskey is I guess. And maybe you'll need more than a shot.

But in general I would advise against. I think with whiskey flavored stuff people are going for the woody, smokey aspect of it, which you can get with other things. I think the alcohol wouldn't taste good in it.

Oh and why are you dumping the beef fat?? I save all my fat like your folks did, and for the same reason. Transfer it to a plastic tub with a lid (old yogurt containers work for this; I always keep the clear tubs I get when I order wonton soup from a take-out Chinese place) and then store it in your fridge. Then use it for sauteeing onions and other vegetables, or for cooking eggs. I also use bacon fat in stews and roasts, or let it soften and then add it to the ground beef mix when I'm making burgers. It's good in basically anything savory.

Last edited:
I took my weedeater apart today trying to find a replacement head that had more oomph to it.... I ended up putting zippers on it..... ohhhh mmmyyyyy gooooodddnnneeeesss..... its a.tad irritating because the break, but I am going to try something different tomorrow. I figured out why my rider wouldn't start 🧐🧐..... sometimes, I need to video the things I do so that I can go back and watch. Long store short a couple of months ago, I lost one of the nuts (its rectangular and goes inside the battery terminal)... so to start it, I ended up using a set of hemostats to clamp it down..... but I also forgot that I did that. So..... some where in my jungle of a back yard are hemostats. Now..... both of the back tires are flat, so I need to drag my air compressor out back and try to inflate them. Do they make no flat tires for riding lawn mowers? I need to look.

I thought about hiring someone to help me get my moms stuff gone through and then my stuff gone through and organized.... I'm tired of always having to think about what I need to be doing, instead of relaxing. Its dumb.

I have not found a rescue that will take my moms cats, so, Idk what to do about that.
My dog had half a rabbit in his mouth this morning.... praying that it wasn't a poison bait. The rabbit was cooler than the temp outside and there was only back legs and mid section. He seems to be ok so far.

I finally got my moms death certificates, so I need to try to do probate stuff tomorrow, and take care of some other things.

I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow and am looking forward to that.

I'm grumpy enough about all the "stuff" that I could consider getting rid of all my tools and stuff also..... I'm not going to, because I know that that is a silly response, but I just need some peace and quiet and empty brain space!

I decided to try boiled potatoes in white sauce. My mom used to make it and I like it far better than mashed taters. Basically boil taters until tender, drain and add milk with a bit of flour mixed in.
Other than flour, looks like mashed potatoes... do you mash them or cook until mush?

I'm guessing the main effect will be adding that "cooked alcohol" flavor (which I associate with dishes like Beef stroganoff). Usually alcohol is added while deglazing, I think, but maybe if you added it later during the Long Simmer some of the whiskey flavor would go into the chili? Depends how dark the whiskey is I guess. And maybe you'll need more than a shot.

But in general I would advise against. I think with whiskey flavored stuff people are going for the woody, smokey aspect of it, which you can get with other things. I think the alcohol wouldn't taste good in it.

Oh and why are you dumping the beef fat?? I save all my fat like your folks did, and for the same reason. Transfer it to a plastic tub with a lid (old yogurt containers work for this; I always keep the clear tubs I get when I order wonton soup from a take-out Chinese place) and then store it in your fridge. Then use it for sauteeing onions and other vegetables, or for cooking eggs. I also use bacon fat in stews and roasts, or let it soften and then add it to the ground beef mix when I'm making burgers. It's good in basically anything savory.
Well, the alcohol would evaporate.

Some people can get away with using Beef fat. I'm convinced I can't and opt for Butter / Olive / Coconut Oil.

Not sure what part of Montana you're in but is there any truth to what's portrayed in the Yellowstone series?

Around 120 miles away from the filming based on casting calls for extras. I have not seen it, but people in other states have asked me / told me I need to watch it.

A "Western" is about as close to being watched as an NFL game in this house...

I have always been intrigued by Rhode Island because it's so tiny...

My County is 3 times as big, and 121 Rhode Islands would fit in MT, but RI had 13,000 more people last Census...

I don't understand how that many people can fit in such a tiny place.

Get Off My Lawn!!!

Other than flour, looks like mashed potatoes... do you mash them or cook until mush?
They are fork tender boiled potatoes. I don't care for mashed (or creamed) potatoes as I prefer to do my own chewing. I used to have my wife take my potatoes out of the pot before mashing. Potatoes with white sauce are best with new potatoes or gravel potatoes but OK with cut potatoes. I mistakenly thought what my mom made was creamed potatoes until my buddy had creamed potatoes on his menu and they were just what we called mashed potatoes.

I don't understand how that many people can fit in such a tiny place.
In his stories, Kurt Vonnegut had a lot of fun with ideas about overcrowding.

I saw this infographic not long ago:
human-cube.jpg

The caption indicated that the whole world's human population could theoretically fit into that blue box. (Spicoli, I don't know if they'd let you in. :D)

Well, Good Morning Fellow House Repair Talk Folks... Sounds like everyone had a busy day...What colours does the Rag dispenser come in @Flyover

We always had a bit of Forty Creek Whisky in our Chilli and ribs... Just gives it that extra snap... Sounds very good @Spicoli43

Yeah... @zannej, Great price on drywall... Some sheets are nothing but garbage... And any with cracks, or missing a corner... Easy to patch.. and make usable... But It will be enough for me to rip down the panelling, Run some electrical wire... Some plugs every 4 - 5 feet... It's already insulated, so don't have to worry about the walls and then drywall... So yeah, that should work out great... Then thinking of putting up some french cleats... like that idea over peg board... My last shop, I did the peg board, and ran out of room all the time...Not sure if I have a picture of my last shop on the computer, I will have to have a look...

20201010_164731.jpg20201010_164738.jpg

20201010_164809.jpg20201019_164253.jpg

I didn't see any with the peg board...

20210915_115044.jpg

That there is the garage which I am also converting into part of the shop, It's already drywalled...

20211016_183706.jpg

I will probably have to start another message about it... The last two pics are garage and new workshop

In his stories, Kurt Vonnegut had a lot of fun with ideas about overcrowding.

I saw this infographic not long ago:
human-cube.jpg

The caption indicated that the whole world's human population could theoretically fit into that blue box. (Spicoli, I don't know if they'd let you in. :D)
HAHAHA... Not only wouldn't I go in the box, I wouldn't live in the Giant Sardine Can that surrounds it.

Back