What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you seen the trick where you staple a zip tip to the wood, place the cord in it, then secure the zip tie, then cut the excess off. It is a really clean hack!

Corrugated tubing with a slit down the length of it, secured to whatever out-of-sight surface by a few screws, is also a good trick. Just feed the cables into that.

That said, the J-hooks probably work fine. Nice job.

Well yeah, but with both of those, the cords would be semi-permanent. I still need to pull them off to move the table to clean. I need bigger J hooks though.

Today we went apple-picking in the morning. The only part that makes it worthwhile is the apples are of a much higher quality than what we can get in stores. And I guess it's fun for the kids. The baby picked her first apple, and it was hilarious because she had to find one that was real low, pull back really hard with all her weight, and when it finally came free she fell on her butt.

Then in the afternoon the baby and I picked up sticks around the yard and also some logs from the firewood rack and used them to restock the "spiderbox" (the box I made, with internal sections and a handle, to hold firewood).

Still haven't gotten a response from my high school buddy in Ft. Myers, Florida... maybe no power for his computer or to charge his phone... since he's dependent on a cell phone down there, he should have a car charger... maybe no local cell towers working... hope he's not in a shelter or trapped in a traffic jam... much of Ft. Myers looks like it was hit by an atomic bomb...
Even SuperBirds weren't spared:
https://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Ian-600x504.jpg

Please keep trying to get a hold of your buddy... It was very much a hard storm through out there...
Had a taste for some real beef... not chopped, formed, glued back together or ground stuff... picked up a beef butt roast and fast and slow cooked it wrapped in foil and BBQ sauce in oven... it's delicious and tender... didn't realize just how much I was craving some...
Went to cruise night across the Maumee River in Perrysburg Ohio last night... about 250 cars there... cool in 60's but OK with flannel shirt on... expecting 68... maybe 70 today...
Currently watching Fox Big Noon College Football KickOff Saturday from Iowa (vs TTUN)...
My Ohio State Buckeyes at home play Rutgers at 3:30...
I also love a good roast, love a good prime rib or a rib eye done on the BBQ (grill) The recipe my wife does is spices and melted butter over it... Seared on a high temp for 15 minutes or so, then turned off and let it cook just with the heat... can cut it with a form whether it was done on the grill or in the oven...Mmmmm good!!
I took the kids to the library, then performed an overdue cleaning of the inside of my car. Tonight I'm grilling that second rack of ribs.
Ribs are my second favourite... Mmmm good!

Well Saturday, went up and got a truck full of scrap, some brass, copper, and aluminum.. which I am taking to the scrap yard tomorrow...

Today we went to the flea market, and then dropped into Lorie's sister's and my brother-in-law's... had a coffee, and here we are at home... So the weekend came and went...

I am not sure where @shan2themax and @zannej live, but hope they are ok... haven't seen them since the latter of last week...

Anyways, I hope YOU all have a great week!

Been tired and taking it easy. Sewer gas smell is coming from my tub but I can't move the stuff (until my back is doing better) to pour water down the drain. There's stuff that will get ruined if I pour it now. Will probably make myself do it later tonight.
Elder Scrolls Online has some sort of event ingame that I've been participating in. Cleaned up the hallway and reorganized some things in my bathroom without having to bend. Got on the floor and took some measurements of the situation where the flooring nears the tub. If the damn mice hadn't chewed the one spot I could slap up some baseboard and be done but nooo. Stupid mice chewed more than 1/2" spot away.

Shan, the people who adopted the redbone dogs from me live in Metaire. I've only been to New Orleans a couple of times and wasn't particularly impressed. It's currently the murder capital of the US.

Redneck, I hope your pain isn't so bad now. Thank you for the links!

I'm struggling to remember what people have been saying in their posts.

Well, it turns out that my Clam Chowder recipe with big Chunks of Potatoes ended up being big Chunks of barely cooked Potatoes... My Mueller pressure cooker is about to go to the scrap heap, but I'm wondering if people have had a pressure cooker that lasted more than 2 years like the Instant Pot?

I didn't buy the Instant Pot to begin with because they over promote it, but maybe somebody can validate it works?

I might have killed my Mueller with 7 Weeks worth of Lentils for that Detox I did...
Farberware 7-in-1 pressure cookers. There's an 8-quart and a 6-quart. We do red beans & meat stuff in the 8-quart and rice in the 6-quart. I make the potato soup in the 6-quart. Pour the stuff in, stir with a whisk, & put it on Soup setting. Robot or human?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Farberware-Programmable-Digital-Pressure-Cooker-6-Quart/46543314
I'm not sure if the inner pot is lined with teflon or not but it is black inside. If you put it on a counter under wall cabinets, turn it so the steam doesn't hit them when it releases pressure or it can ruin the cabinets. It's damaged mine already. I have to sand and refinish them.

We've had the Farberware ones for a few years now I think. Baked cakes and brownies in them. Never tried InstantPot.

I'm still trying to plan the details on further repairs/improvements to my bathroom. Also delaying going to clean Mom's toilet bc nobody else will do it and she said its disgusting. She was griping at me about how the linoleum tore and is sticking up. She wants me to put down those slippery glue-down tiles but I've explained they won't stick to that floor the way it is and it has uneven wood so they won't lay flat properly. She insisted that the floor needed to be scraped with a plastic scraper. She said she would do it herself if I provided the scrapers. I gave her 4 scrapers and will see if she actually does it. I suspect the toilet is leaking though.

Meanwhile, trailer trash-style drama ensued in my friend's neighborhood yesterday. Short version is his gf's brother got drunk & sexted her (his own sister) really gross stuff, went over to fight my friend when my friend told him to stop, shoved his own daughter, attacked my friend, got his butt kicked (but was unharmed bc his son begged my friend not to hurt him), went home & attacked his common-law wife violently & then tore up the house breaking all the dishes, tvs, & wifi router. Sadly, no one called the cops but they should have. Dude needs to stop drinking. He's the type that I think will be very apologetic when he sobers up, but who knows. He is mentally ill & on disability because of it.

I'm ok, I live in Southern Ohio. ZANNEJ LOVES IN Louisiana though.

Thanks for the kind thoughts @RedneckGrump .

I made pork spare ribs, homemade mac-n-cheese and corn for dinner. It was good. However I wasn't really in the mood and I didn't want to have to repackage it to freeze it.

I don't feel good today, don't feel terrible.... just blah.

3 more work days and then my days off will be here. I am excited for those, as always lol

I am considering doing something crazy that most people would say absolutely don't do it. I'm thinking about either taking out a loan against my 403b, or taking out the post tax portion and paying HALF of my house off..... now don't get too excited. I do live in a kinda crappy house in a nice neighborhood, and I only owe about 43.5k on the house.
I was reading a post about student loan forgiveness the other day and it was saying that if you owed more than 60k, the 20 year rule may be changed to 30 years. That would make me 81 before they were paid off; I have to consolidate them by the end of the month in order to fulfill the potential for public service student loan forgiveness, which is BS, because I have worked for a non-profit that qualifies for 14 years. So.... it is what it is, but I won't be able to afford $400+ student loan payments in my 60s, and 70s, even without taking the money out.... because I don't have much in there.
I am a 1st generation college GRADUATE and I sometimes feel like I was better off when I was poor. I know I wasnt, but man was life more simple.
Anyways, hope everyone had a good weekend!

@zannej It was the murder capital back then too.... spooky stuff for a 19 year old with a kid from an are with 60k population at the time....
The grocery stores had actual police and not just security guards in the stores, it was weird to me.

Well, it's official: we have a boxelder bug infestation. The bugs haven't gotten in the house yet but they're all over the deck, and at the base of our nearby boxelder tree they sometimes swarm so thick they look like red lichen from a distance. Short term we will spray around the perimeter of the house and try to keep them away from the other maples; long term I think I'm going to cut down that tree. I never liked it anyway, and it's in a spot where I think a white pine or two would look nice, or maybe some more fruit trees, or a second garden...

I remember the first time I ever went to New Orleans was also my first Mardi Gras. It was cold, people were rude. Some biyatch in a wheelchair grabbed my sister's hand really hard and bent her fingers backwards (on purpose) to pry some plastic beads from her hand. Once my sister's fingers were bent back to almost breaking, the biyatch ripped them out of her hand and in the process they whipped me in the face. My sister was crying & I was about to punch this hag but my dad stepped in between and chewed her out. The lady's son apologized on her behalf and wheeled her away while she screamed at him & us. Said kids didn't belong at Mardi Gras. My dad said it was the closest he ever came to punching a woman. Then two idiots shot each other over some dabloons & the people who brought us there didn't want to stay any longer so we had to leave. It was miserable and I have not liked Mardi Gras or New Orleans since then.

Shan, I hope you can get the loan forgiveness.

Flyover, I have no idea what boxelder bugs are, but I hope you can get rid of them quickly.

I stopped at HD the other day to grab some herbicide to see if I can kill those chinaberry trees that keep growing back every time we cut them down. Been cut down like 5x now and keep coming back stronger.

I'm not sure if the inner pot is lined with teflon or not but it is black inside.
Thanks, but yeah they are nonstick chemical coated. All the brands claim they are "free" of the PFOA / PTFE etc., but they use some other endocrine disrupting chemical at the very least. Just like "BPA Free" means they use BPS, which is worse...

I hate the infomercial type ads where the price is never revealed. I got an email from Glenn Beck saying the business world was mad at him for selling Green Lobster CBD gummies so cheap. I have wasted 15 minutes trying to find what the price is after the free bottle.:confused:

I hate the infomercial type ads where the price is never revealed. I got an email from Glenn Beck saying the business world was mad at him for selling Green Lobster CBD gummies so cheap. I have wasted 15 minutes trying to find what the price is after the free bottle.:confused:

All infomercials are garbage... Here's the Green Lobster one... It's hilarious how it says "HURRY... Only 10 minutes left" and counts down... I waited and reloaded the page, and it's back to 10 minutes...

Then there's 2 Fake Doctors on the page... Doctors have no idea about the Endocannabinoid system because that's the exact opposite of what Pharma wants them to know... I also love the fake testimonials.

If you want CBD and it's legal in your State, go to the local State run or State licensed place and talk to real people, skip the pitchman crap.

https://www.naturesboostcbd.com/new/?AFFID=200074&C2=&C3=&click_id=576972456

Funny thing on the laws of marijuana. Using marijuana in my state has been legal since the 70s, but possessing it is illegal. So, if you've used it, they will say it is proof of possession. I think it is now approved for medical use but only cancer patients can get prescriptions.
Last night I got tired of the sewer gas smells coming out of my bathtub. The stopper plug had been dislodged and was letting gases come in. At first I didnt' see the stopper so I started pouring water down the drain (slowly) but it wouldn't stay in the trap. Then I saw the stopper and plugged the drain again and put the plunger on top to hold it down. No more sewer gas smell but I inhaled enough last night that made me sick and I slept until 5pm today.

I'm about to go to the store to get more cat food and groceries.

I woke up to the cats having a bad fight. Yasuke ran to me for safety but I was asleep. So he jumped on me and Snugglebum jumped on him and I woke up with claws in my arm, somehow contorted so they clawed the crap out of my leg. They ran out of the room and I had to get up and follow to break them up. I pointed to my room and ordered Snugglebum to go back into my room and leave Yasuke alone. He obeyed and then he followed me to the bathroom while I was cleaning up the scratches. Yasuke sometimes picks the fights but I know that I can get Snugglebum to behave if I get them separated.

Morning, Redneck. I think the lentils in the veggie pasta that I ate last night didn't agree with my guts. Tasted good, but I may have to find a different veggie pasta option. I filled another mouse-hole (next to my tub) with steel wool. Still planning trim options and so forth. Cats are behaving today. Five of them are in here. Three are asleep and two are grooming themselves. If my guts start cooperating I'm planning to do some cleaning in the kitchen.

Funny thing on the laws of marijuana.
Wish they would keep marijuana and all other illegal drugs as illegal... and enforce it... tired of dealing with people with murderous drug personalities... and 75 murders daily in this country...
10 Valentines Day Massacres DAILY !

I cleaned this side of the sliding glass door off really well, inside and out, several times. It looks so much better. It is very scratched and the outside of it is nicotine stained.

I ordered some RMR-141 so that I can soak the backporch once it is cleaned off and feel better about it being disinfected. I need to find some primer that will cover all the nicotine, and repaint the ceiling of the porch... it is pretty gross currently. I just filled the dishwasher with a bunch of glassware, I am going to take it to Habitat for Humanity I believe. I picked out a couple of things that I liked to keep, but the rest is going to give at someone else's house. I keep procrastinating taking it because it was gross dirty, so I decided that I would wash it, and the pack it up and take it while I am off starting Thursday.
I'm getting very irritable because I am at the point of not knowing what to do with what is left, so I am trying to be proactive. I still have an 8x10 storage unit to go through also. I will probably just toss everything in the metal building. Anyways..... here's the shiny sliding glass door. Its looking a lot emptier out there.
The piece of trim under the door handle just happens to being it to perfect height to close all the way.

20221004_150705.jpg

Latest posts

Back