What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes me wonder if you also have a dedicated truck just for going to the movies, another one just for going to the doctor, another one just for the post office...

Hey Folks, How are we all doing... I am hoping I get this written before Lorie calls me for supper, she's making butter chicken, We spent the day in the city of Ottawa today... Had to go and see the diabetic doctor this morning... I just finished my weight, and waist thing, when Lorie txt my truck is dead... So I finish up my check-in appointment before seeing the doctor... Well, I turned the lights on when I drive the 4 lane highways... just a habit I've got into... Got to my appointment... Got out of the truck, it was dinging, but thought, keys in the ignition... Well after an hour of lights on and the door not completely shut, killed the battery... So got a boost, and that was that... Anyways CAA came, gave the truck a boost and we were on our way... Stopped in the town we used to live in to give my B-I-L my old sound bar for his new TV... I bought the good sound bar.. came on Saturday, and wasn't supposed to be here till tomorrow... But I am not complaining... Man oh man, what a difference... Sounds so awesome... The one I used to have sounded great, but this one, wow, sounds like they are spinning tires behind me, or bullets sailing behind my head... What a wonderful sound... Just made my theatre room so cool...

Now, You are all probably thinking of our new dishwasher, all installed and works perfectly. @Ron Van, I put the pipe up behind the dishwasher with a cheat vent... Under the floor, I put the trap... and then ran the drain over to my main drain over to the septic line... The dishwasher is very quiet and runs perfectly, so my hands will never be rough from doing dishes again... (lol)

@shan2themax and @zannej I hope YOU both feel much better soon... Horrible time to be feeling odd... Just hope YOU both feel better before Santa gets here...

@BuzzLOL Welcome back, great to see YOU...

Zanne, they are just burgers made with 15% pea protein added into the mix.
Hey, @Eddie_T Lorie now and then makes hamburgers out of all kinds of beans... Very Very good...and have lots of protein...
Try the red potatoes with butter, garlic and Rosemary. Good stuff!
How are you doing @havasu Love potatoes with butter and garlic...
I think there is such a thing as blue potatoes but I've never tried them. I think my uncle grows them up in Virginia.

Potatoes and white sauce sound good.

Never heard of Blue Potatoes, Heard of other things blue, but not potatoes... But I am going to look out for them...

Well, Folks, think I am all caught up...and I think YOU all feel better and are all getting ready for Christmas...

Oh, has anybody have a recipe they might be able to put in the recipe section for Baileys Irish Cream Fudge...

Well, I hope YOU all have a great night, Hope I didn't ramble on too much... Just got called for dinner... Till Later...

Cheers~

I just looked again at my bill. The Cad doesn't have an oil plug gasket. It is my Toyota pick up that has a gasket. This is just for the drain plug.
Back to the truck, I bought it for my daughter new in 2003. In 2018, when I bought my Cad, I offered my used Lexus to my daughter, since it also had low miles and way more comfortable. Since she names her vehicles, she asked that I give "Dave" a nice retirement, and not sell him. I keep it for the range and as a way to haul big things, and just as a spare vehicle in case of crashes, being broke down, allow family to drive in an emergency, etc. So there you have it. You now know the saga of "Dave", the range truck! He sits in his own covered carport, behind the gate, on a trickle charger. Here he is...
Oh, BTW, you can see the sign over my "Shootin shack" on the left.
Screenshot_20221220_203340_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
I just looked again at my bill. The Cad doesn't have an oil plug gasket. It is my Toyota pick up that has a gasket. This is just for the drain plug.
Back to the truck, I bought it for my daughter new in 2003. In 2018, when I bought my Cad, I offered my used Lexus to my daughter, since it also had low miles and way more comfortable. Since she names her vehicles, she asked that I give "Dave" a nice retirement, and not sell him. I keep it for the range and as a way to haul big things, and just as a spare vehicle in case of crashes, being broke down, allow family to drive in an emergency, etc. So there you have it. You now know the saga of "Dave", the range truck! He sits in his own covered carport, behind the gate, on a trickle charger. Here he is...
Oh, BTW, you can see the sign over my "Shootin shack" on the left.
View attachment 29351
That a nice looking mountain range that you have for a view...

The tall mountain is Cucamonga Peak.
Cucamonga Peak is one of the highest peaks of the San Gabriel Mountains in San Bernardino County, California, with a summit elevation of 8,862 feet. It is within the Cucamonga Wilderness of the San Bernardino National Forest. It is named after the 19th-century Mexican land grant, Rancho Cucamonga, that was below it. Wikipedia

I wish the bill for my truck was under $100. Dealership called this morning to say my wheel bearing was bad. What pisses me off about that is that I took the truck to the local tire place 5x and asked them to check the wheel bearings but Jose (one of the employees) kept giving me attitude and either didn't check or he's incompetent and couldn't tell. My best friend said it sounded like a wheelbearing & Jose said "Then why doesn't he fix it?" Jerk. Anyway, the estimate (not including tax & other fees) is $810 & my truck is supposed to be ready tomorrow. That is when I have to turn the rental vehicle in. There are good and bad things about the vehicle and some that are a mix of both.
The good-- great turning, brakes are very effective & take very little pressure, shows speed limit digitally, shows cruise control speed setting digitally, has radar range detection to detect vehicles ahead of and next to it (and slows down speed during cruise control if another vehicle is too close in front), good backup camera with lines to show the size of the car, good screen for the backup camera...
The bad-- cruise control doesn't always go the speed you set it to for some reason, the car randomly beeps and flashes some warning that I don't know wtf it is, it tells me to put my hands on the wheel in a certain way while my hands are on the wheel that way, the blinker sound is annoying, no heated seats (I thought they were but realized it was just from my own body heat), no exact temperature given on climate control & hard to cycle through settings, inside windows fog up fast, you can't speed up and click to lock in cruise control speed (which I can do in my vehicle)-- you have to toggle cruise off and on again and it doesn't show the speed limit digitally while transitioning, the seats have these side pieces that come forward to hug the body but poke in & are annoying. They really aggravated Mom.
Don't know what year it is (its a Rav4) but it's not too bad. But I prefer my truck. Wish my truck could turn like that though. LOL.

Oh man Havasu, I didn't realize you were a Californian! (Maybe you mentioned it and I forgot.) That means you're paying California insurance on all those trucks! Ouch!

I didn't do much with the house today, aside from the get the ladder out so my wife could refill one of the bird feeders that hangs from an out-of-reach branch. One of the things on the "get it done before the giant snowstorm at the end of the week" checklist. @bud16415 You're in Erie, right? Isn't someone else here in that area too? You'll probably get dumped on like crazy.

I pay $1150 a year, full coverage for both vehicles. Since I've lived here all my life, is that a good or bad price?

Oh man Havasu, I didn't realize you were a Californian! (Maybe you mentioned it and I forgot.) That means you're paying California insurance on all those trucks! Ouch!
Ruby and I moved from California to Alabama in 2020. Our auto insurance is about the same but our property insurance is way higher now. Sales tax is higher too. State income tax is less in AL and house prices are much less in AL.

I pay $1150 a year, full coverage for both vehicles. Since I've lived here all my life, is that a good or bad price?
Compared to mine, those are very good.
Insurance rates are regulated by the states. Because of the crazy hikes in car parts, labor, and the car market, I heard that insurance companies are deep in the red and having to increase rates. If they don't, the ones that actually offer any protection will go out of business or won't pay the claims. I also heard that California is so behind on updating their rates (something like 2 years), that several insurances companies are refusing to sell insurance in CA moving forward. I don't know how they'll dig themselves out of that hole...

With my low mileage, it costs about $300 a year for full coverage for the truck. I would only have PL/PD on it, but for $60 more a year, I have full coverage.
Registration is what sucks big bananas here in this state. This '03 truck is $197 a year, and the Cad is now about $440 a year. Good news though, I got gas for $3.79 today. Yeah me...

Insurance for me is around $900 for 2 vehicles...
Registration is $25 each with the Military discount.
If the vehicle is 12 years old, the registration is a one time forever fee of under $100.
No State Sales Tax
Income Tax around 3%

Sounds great, Move to Montana, Eh?

Temp supposed to be -60 Wednesday night.

Continental US record temp -70 in the 1950's... Guess which State.

Well, love the state but hate that cold! Shorts and tee shirts are the dress of the day. I hear Christmas is going to be 80 degrees. Nice!

Good Morning folks... Well, in a few more days, Santa will be hitting each of our doorways... Not sure where the time went... Have to get out, and get a couple more for Lorie... Today or tomorrow... The weather is supposed to get ugly Thursday...

Thursday is supposed to get a high of 12 during the day, and then a deep freeze in the evening... Time will tell...

I pay $52 a month for the 08 Ford F150, equalling $654 a year and when I had both, I was paying $32 a month for the 06 Ford F150...and 384 a month equaling $1068 yearly, But just paying $654 a year now, that I sold the 04...

Well, that's about all I have since I wrote yesterday afternoon...
Cheers~

Redneck, is that some weird Canadian thing? Here in America Santa hits the chimneys, not the doorways.

Havasu, I thought I remembered CA insurance being notoriously high, but maybe I'm misremembering. It's been ten years since I lived there. I do remember finding it astonishing how anyone could have a normal life in that state just with the general cost of living, unless they were rich. (I was very poor and had very little at that point in my life.)

I used to keep a truck as a second vehicle but now with a quick calc of how much per mile it would cost me I just cancel the urge. I considered a small short bed Takoma as an only vehicle but they have become a cult vehicle. The custom boys trick them out and call them 'street Tacos'.

Last edited:
Back