What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ophthalmologist is a nice guy but he's into the 'style'. I'm like you guys I dress for comfort and utility. BTW the knot for my single loop drawstring served me well all day. I tried the other one as my practice rope is long enough to use as a belt. It works well when I figure out where to pull.

I have moved on to only buying men's pants because they are less likely to be super tight-- for some reason they make women's pants to be tighter and I like loose pants. Another issue is women's pants have smaller pockets-- if they actually have pockets at all. The worst ones have fake pockets. Those enrage me. Men's pants have larger pockets so I get those now.

I'm up because mom's computer crashed and I was trying to fix it. I discovered it was covered in roaches. I put on some gloves, disconnected it, pulled it out. Took a shop vac to the outside of it, took compressed air to the inside. Spread roach poison on the inside of the chassis. Turned it every which way I could to get roaches out. Cleaned the table I set it on. Put it back in place. Got stuck for a couple of minutes because I had to climb under the desk to reconnect stuff. It booted when I turned it on but it shut off before Mom finally got out of her room and it won't boot now. It had gotten up to over 127°F (53°C).

I feel like my skin is crawling. I've been trying to get her to clean up her desk to no avail. I even got her a thing of drawers and some plastic bins to put stuff in but she won't do it. The roaches are spreading. I've been trying to get them with diatomaceous earth but the humidity here doesn't help. I'm trying to get my brain to settle down so I can sleep but I keep feeling itchy from just thinking about roaches. I used two cans of canned air (not bc they ran out but bc they froze). Gonna have to see if my friend can help when he gets back. Can't take it over to his house though. Not bringing roaches over there.

I read that cedarwood oil is safe for cats & dogs and repels roaches. May try that next.

Zannej, when I moved in with my then-girlfriend (now wife) and started really seeing how they design and market things to women, it made me angry too! The no pockets/small pockets/fake pockets thing is terrible, as is most women's clothing design in general. The way the makeup aisle has its own special lighting and signage. If you buy a nail clipper, the one packaged and marketed to men is half the price of an identical one made by the same company packaged and marketed to women, only the women's one doesn't have knurling on it, so after paying twice as much for them, ladies can also be assisted in dropping their nail clippers behind the toilet. Same pattern applies to breakfast cereals and other foods, workout equipment, anything marketed to women. Don't even get me started on women's shoes. It's outrageous. I don't know why women put up with it. And there's no hiding behind "well women are willing to do all this because men find it attractive": ask any straight man if he thinks women look good in t-shirt and jeans & no makeup, and most straight men will say "sure", and some even prefer that look. I've heard it's mostly women and gay men who design women's clothes.

Doctor today says the Body is a slave to the Mind... If you have an illness and want to fix it, you have to fix the Mind first.

Recommends the book "As A Man Thinketh" by James Allen...

I'm getting a copy on Ebay, like 4 bucks

Made yeast pancakes for supper which turned out well. I will definitely have them again.

Doctor today says the Body is a slave to the Mind... If you have an illness and want to fix it, you have to fix the Mind first.

Recommends the book "As A Man Thinketh" by James Allen...

I'm getting a copy on Ebay, like 4 bucks
Seems to me it's a two way street. The mind definitely affects the body. I notice this intensely when I'm lifting weights: how much I can lift and how many reps is influenced by my thoughts. As soon as the "that's good enough" voice enters my head, I can't do another rep, at least not in that set. If I want to lift more, then hearing the drill sergeant voice in my head usually helps. But going the other way, we know for example that our gut biomes affect how we think, and how well we think.

When I was in the 82nd ABN we went on organized runs before breakfast. When we thought we were winded Sarge would run us through the WAC detachment.

Seems to me it's a two way street. The mind definitely affects the body. I notice this intensely when I'm lifting weights: how much I can lift and how many reps is influenced by my thoughts. As soon as the "that's good enough" voice enters my head, I can't do another rep, at least not in that set. If I want to lift more, then hearing the drill sergeant voice in my head usually helps. But going the other way, we know for example that our gut biomes affect how we think, and how well we think.
Yes, I know what you're talking about from when I could lift free weights. Then there's the stories of people that generate enough adrenaline by thinking about lifting a car off someone and doing it. I think there's probably 4 or 5 guys there at the same time, but still...

As far as the gut microbiome, that's why they say there is a second Brain in the gut.... They have also found a "little" Brain in the Heart. Everything is interconnected.

When I was in the 82nd ABN we went on organized runs before breakfast. When we thought we were winded Sarge would run us through the WAC detachment.
I have experience with 82nd guys. Nothing nice to say, so I won't. Different generation than you of course.

Here's a pic of my practice rope with the beginning of a gym shorts knot. The rope is perfect for practice. It is soft nylon from the cant side of a 4'x6' flag. It originally had a metal eye in each end. I have one I use for yard work that I left the eyes in place

0401231134.jpg

Last edited:
Made yeast pancakes for supper which turned out well. I will definitely have them again.
I just took a bite of leftover yeast pancake. It's good, I may be into something here, fried (almost flat) yeast bread. Far better than injera.

One of my fellow cop partners was from the 82nd Airborne. He was a real idiot. Only military guy I and most of my department disliked.

I saw a lot of those and often used it to my advantage!

The other day I did a quick visual inspection of my old broken sump pump to see if maybe something had simply gotten jammed in there and if, by dislodging it, I might have a working backup. (I was following the suggestion of someone here, I think @68bucks but I could be misremembering.)

I couldn't tell; the intake holes were small and there was some dried rusty stuff blocking my view. It was rusty and gross and I didn't have time so I set it aside for another day.

That day was today. I decided to partially disassemble it, thinking maybe I could get the cover off the bottom and get a good look in there.

I located three screws (really long threaded metal poles) holding the main part onto the bottom and loosened them. I heard a "gas escaping" sound and figured that was because of a pressure difference or something. Then once those screws were out I tried to jigger the body out of the base, and a kind of sheath came loose. It was full of water of course, which spilled out everywhere.

Only--April Fools!--it wasn't water, it was oil! All over my (osb-surfaced) workbench and my garage floor. So I got to spend a significant portion of my morning cleaning that up.

I did eventually get the base off to check for obstructions and there were none, so that increases the odds the thing is just plain broken anyway, but I didn't think I could get it back together and, uhh, properly lubricated again even if it wasn't.

For a second I considered taking it apart even more in case there's cool stuff I could salvage from it, but it was such an oily mess and I was kind of annoyed so it's back in the box waiting for trash day.

I got bored with standard Solitaire, so I decided to mix it up... I could now stack the cards 5-4-5-6-5-4-3-4 as long as the color was different... I didn't play that way very long, but it looks difficult...

I also tried that with no color requirement, but that seems impossible unless all 4 Aces were out.

Started working on the plumbing infrastructure for our new bathroom yesterday. I’ve put it off as long as I can but now is the time. It starts at the toilet and runs to the building drain line (which goes to the septic). Along the way, the shower and the vanity connect to it.

1AEB4A5F-5369-4CD2-8D4F-07398DB58B7B.jpeg

I built a wall next to the toilet, a little for privacy but mostly so I have a place to run a vent line up to the attic.

1D8800AF-BFA2-4C60-933A-AA63B162EA8D.jpeg

This is the plumbing plan.

50542F77-DA76-4EC1-BBA8-C2D77746E28D.jpeg
The toilet is at the top of the drawing. The shower is on the left. The vanity is on the right.

When I was building I didn't know anything about plinth blocks. Here's a way to avoid coping those baseboard inside corners. They could be used for outside corners as well with a little more thought. These were made (not by me) using table saw and router,

1680451961787.png1680452049020.png

Last edited:
When I was building I didn't know anything about plinth blocks. Here's a way to avoid coping those baseboard inside corners. They could be used for outside corners as well with a little more thought. These were made (not by me) using table saw and router,
Is the point of those so you can stub your toe more stylishly?

Latest posts

Back