What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I build new screens often. As long as you have the spline tool, a flat surface, it takes me about 3 minutes to build one. I like experimenting on different shade cloths, especially to knock out the summer heat.

BuzzLOL, my windows are metal. Most of them won't open or won't stay open (drop like guillotines).
Dropping windows usually need a new sash cord...
I replace the rotten cotton sash cord with 3/16" or 1/4" braided nylon rope... polypropolene rope is cheaper but has little sunlight resistance and ages quickly...

I was walking down the sidewalk the other day and a doe deer came out of the brush and lumbered across the sidewalk right in front of me and then across the street... glad it wasn't an angry buck in full antlers...

Scraping moss off my brick patio. I let it go for several years while I was caring for my wife. Then I decided to let the moss grow enough to be easier to scrape off. I plan to spray with bleach water to hinder regrowth. I am about 25% so far. Here's a pre-moss pic taken about 10y ago;

44853d1381427974-tomas-drinking-water-100_1246.jpg

Interesting timing. The tax credit goes up, and the price rises,HHHHMMMMM!

The sad thing is, the corporations being taxed is a drop in the bucket to them. They are just so incredibly greedy. It's not right for a corporation that underpays employees so the employees have to be on public assistance to pay 0 in taxes. I was ranting to Spicoli about this before. There really is no perfect solution though. So long as corporations are run by greedy sociopaths who bribe all of Congress, they will continue to price gouge like mofos.

Havasu, any other tips on screens? Finding a flat surface that doesn't have animals or clutter is going to be interesting. I had to put all of the cats out of the room to get a safe flat surface in the living room today.

Yesterday I did some mild cleaning. UPS driver arrived with our new TV. She struggles to get it out of the tv, starts to set it down fumbles and drops it. The look on her face was a mix of horror and "oh crap". She said "Did I just... Oh sh**!" I saw that it was a complete accident and she was trying her best to keep the tv upright but there were no handles where a single person could grab. I then said there were handles on the side that 2 people could use to carry. She punched the cardboard in so I could grab one end and we carefully got it up to the door. She apologized for dropping it and I said that if it was broken then amazon would replace it. Fortunately it landed on a corner covered in styrofoam and it was on soft sandy loam.

Got up at 2am and busted my butt cleaning to clear a path to take the old TV off the stand and bring in the new one. Mom hadn't told me her trash bag near her desk was full and she'd been throwing trash on the floor again. I cleaned it all up, filled up 2 contractor bags of trash (water bottles & one use food containers take up a lot of space). I also emptied her little trashcan and put in a new bag. Asked my brother to haul them outside (in the afternoon) because my back is no longer cooperating. He refused.

After a nap I got up and met my friend around 10am to put gas in his car (he hasn't gotten his paycheck yet and needed gas to get to work). I went into Walmart and picked up Mom's rx, some roach traps, a salad for my breakfast, and some other stuff. Got mail, went home and set up the new phone. I had to watch Youtube to figure out how to relink the handsets to the new base. But the base apparently already had 3 handsets linked somehow so I had to just guess what code to put in to remove them. I got it on the 2nd guess. (#131 lets you unregister handsets and #130 lets you register them). Got the phonelines through a surge protector, got the phone itself in a surge protector. Intercom is now working so Mom is happy. At one point I needed to kneel on the bed while she was in it to reach over her. Me: "Hey Mom, can you move your boob out of the way so I don't put my knee on it?" She used to be a double D so there's a lot of extra flesh there to hang down. I hope the new setup works.

I did get my brother to help me carry the TV into the living room and set it down. He left immediately after and refused to help with anything else. I decided to set it up & Mom kept asking if she needed to page my brother to help. But I know he'd just gripe and get in the way and probably fumble something. I had to get a little step thingy that doubles as a laundry basket to be able to reach some stuff on the entertainment center. Unplugged the old TV, set it aside, got new tv out once I figured out how. Misplaced my flashlight, the screws, & several things a few times but found them eventually. I got the tv all set up without help. Sound bar won't fit in front without interfering with the receiver on the TV so I had to set it down lower. Sound on the tv is great. It's a Hisense ULED (Ultra QLED) with Dolby Atmos. Remote response time is fast (unlike my friend's old Roku remote). First thing Mom did was start watching Youtube on it. One snag was getting the coaxial cable off the old tv. It was stuck on there. Even my brother, who begrudgingly came back in when Mom called, couldn't get it loose. I had to use pliers to get it loose. Getting it on the new one was a pain because its on the opposite side so the cord had to reach farther and I had to tug to get more slack and the thing didn't want to line up and kept cross-threading. Finally got it though. No damage to it that we can see. Mom is excited. I'll have to help her find her Youtube login info so she can set up a profile on the tv.

It's not right for a corporation that underpays employees so the employees have to be on public assistance to pay 0 in taxes. So long as corporations are run by greedy sociopaths who bribe all of Congress, they will continue to price gouge like mofos.
Uh... no... autoworkers don't need to be on public assistance (unless wasting all their income on illegal drug abuse)...
Ignore the FAKE NEWS... corporations aren't price gouging, the recent 50-500% increase in prices is from our Govt currently being horridly run by you know who....
If a corporation is paying zero taxes, it's because they have high expenses deductions caused by you know who......

I changed out my car's headlight bulbs today. Spent 40 minutes going back and forth on "do I REALLY need to take out my battery and fusebox just to access the back of my headlights??" and once I decided yes I did, the whole thing took 20 minutes. Funny how that works.

My battery terminals are nice and clean now too. :p

I changed out my car's headlight bulbs today. Spent 40 minutes going back and forth on "do I REALLY need to take out my battery and fusebox just to access the back of my headlights??" and once I decided yes I did, the whole thing took 20 minutes. Funny how that works.

My battery terminals are nice and clean now too. :p
Sounds like you're becoming quite 'HANDY'...

Sounds like you're becoming quite 'HANDY'...
I've been working on my own cars since I was 18 and bought my first piece of junk for $400. But I definitely learned more with each car I bought since then.

I was trying to figure out why my hands/fingers and arms hurt so much and then I remembered that Monday I went out with the electric hedge trimmer thingy and cut the weeds all along the sidewalk. My hands cramped (because I had to hold down two buttons to make it work) and I had to do a lot of bending and moving of stuff. Weeds were growing over the sidewalk and I didn't want them to get in the way of the deliveries.

Today my entire body hates me. Just standing up and trying to walk sucks. But I'm out of milk and I need it for cooking something tonight so I'll have to go to the store even though I really don't want to. Maybe the heated seat in the truck will help my back a little.

TV isn't working with the sound bar for some reason so my friend said he'll take a look when he comes to pick up the old TV.

Flyover, I'm glad you're able to work on your vehicle. They make them so complex now. My brother was telling me about there was something in the Honda vehicles where US mechanics were having to pull the engine to access something and then a mechanic in Japan posted a video of him going underneath the vehicle, removing some bolts and then changing out the part. A bunch of mechanics were watching and saying "son-of-a....." because they'd been putting in way more effort than needed.

It's only 11am here but it looks like it's already evening because the sky is getting dark again. I've taken naproxyn and magnesium. I need to find my potassium because I've been getting charlie horses at night. Will have to see if samsclub has ripe bananas.

Flyover, I'm glad you're able to work on your vehicle. They make them so complex now.
Yes, it is troubling. My current vehicle's an '06, and for my next one (to be purchased in 3-5 years from now) I'm eyeing a 2015 Honda Fit, which I'm pretty sure I can still do basic maintenance/repairs on myself. But the next vehicle after that is likely to be one I can't work on at all -- unless I'm so fabulously wealthy by then I can buy both the 1980s Tercel wagon of my dreams (to be found somewhere in the SW where the desert will have preserved it in great condition) and hire a machinist to fabricate parts.

Is 2015 the best year for the Fit or did you choose it for price point? The specs are attractive and MPG similar to my 1996 Geo Prizm. My Prizm only has 142K miles but a fender bender could total it and we have one roundabout, another almost completed and two more planned all within a half-mile radius.

2015 has the best mpg so far as I can tell. Also it's available with a standard transmission...not sure if newer models are but it will also give me the price point of a 10 year old used car.

Back