What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HAHAHA... Not only wouldn't I go in the box, I wouldn't live in the Giant Sardine Can that surrounds it.
Sardine can is pretty close. I spent a couple days last weekend in NYC. There is a lot of interesting stuff to do and see but it is sooo busy. I could never live there.

Sorry Guys, Got off topic... Hate when my brain doesn't work, or work properly... Again I apologize for going way off topic...

Yesterday my wife and I finished painting the shutters and garage doors in the front of the house. We just have the back of the house to paint the shutters.

Also, we have to waterproof the cement porch I have put in, and also waterproof the wooden gazebo Lorie and I put in over the summer, along with the deck it sits on...

Not 100 % sure what I am doing today... Been a very slow start... Also been looking up how to do the bodywork on my 2006 Ford F150...

Anyhow, Folks, I will have something to write about tomorrow...

Oops! Poor inventory control, I ran out of BP supplement (hawthorn berry). I am drinking hibiscus tea as a substitute until resupply from Swanson arrives. Change is gradual rather than a cliff but it was a goof on my part.

Per the news more pets are in surrender but adoption is still restricted beyond common sense. If anything cropped up locally all the crap could be waived but so far nothing.

Last edited:
I lived and worked in NYC for a couple summers when I was a teenager. Worked in Manhattan one of those summers, Queens during the other one. NYC didn't feel crowded to me exactly, not like being in a small space with lots of people anyway, more just that any time I was outside I always felt like I had to be "on", ready for anything, always watching what was going on and where I was stepping, knowing I was visible to lots of people. It felt very "busy" more than anything, in a way a city like Los Angeles, for example, did not.

Back then as a scrappy young buck who felt invincible, I quickly adjusted to that pace of life, and it was invigorating and fun. (Oh, and for whatever reason there are always lots of very good looking women walking around.) But I returned briefly a couple times to visit family in more recent years and found the place annoying, exhausting, and uncomfortable. On top of smelly and loud and insanely expensive, which it always was.

Aaaanyway, today I finally got those climbing handholds out of the tree. Many came out just by tugging on them because either the wood was rotted or the screws sheared, or both. Thank goodness no kids got hurt. I'm thinking about how I can reuse the hardware to create a horizontal climbing wall in my basement...

Shan, sorry the tools have been giving you trouble and hope you get things working.
Nice job, Redneck!

My brain is not wanting to retain the messages from the previous page very well.

Listened to some sea shanty song to help myself wake up this morning. Went to Lowes to pickup an online order. They didn't have it at the front yet so I had to wait awhile. Went to Samsclub after that. While there my brother got a message that our friend's useless co-worker straight up quit bc he didn't want to have to actually do his job. He'd been no-call/noshowing, calling in, leaving early, clocking in then going outside to get high & coming back in and just sitting on his keester doing nothing. Barely did any work at all. Friend was coming in and finding all the work this jerk was supposed to do was not done. He would miss work to do another job (completely violating his contract-- aside from just not actually working). Friend had been trying to get him fired for months. Guy was giving BS sob stories to the boss to not get fired. Friend finally set the boss straight. They had a zoom meeting & the guy lied to the boss for an hour straight and boss said he was tired of excuses and laid out what the jerk's responsibilities were from that point forward. This morning around 9 the jerk called in and quit. My bro submitted his application via my friend & the boss said he's pretty much hired. Just need to finish up some paperwork and make sure they find a replacement for my brother at his current job (which is in the exact same place). So my bro gets a $4/hr raise and has an easier job where he can sit down when he wants to.

Grabbed food from Wendy's then dropped stuff off at friend's house and went home. It's hot out and I have to get up and cook for mom now. Barely had time to cool off.

Flat or Punctured? You could try Fix A Flat...
I'm really not sure. I had planned to look at it in more depth tomorrow, but it is supposed to rain the next 3 days.

4 55 gallon bags, 2 45 gallon bags, and 2 33 gallon bags of stuff removed from the back porch yesterday and today. My back is killing me, and I actually got a massage today at 2pm.....
Its looking better, there is still so much to do out there. Waiting on my dumpster so it can be filled and dumped and filled again and again and again..... and maybe one more again.....

I found a ton of correlle ware today. This is half of it. It would be great if I could find one person to take it all. received_622213515936258.jpeg

I have a headache from being out there even though I had a mask on.
There is a picnic table behind this, but here is the pile so far.

To say that I am tired is an understatement and my son is the one carrying the heavier bags for me
20220909_185954.jpg20220909_185936.jpg20220909_185929.jpg

Good job, Shan... Cleaning up is always rewarding, when I get all my tools in their place in the garage to the point I could park a car there, I go look at the garage multiple times a night just to get a "satisfaction bump"... It's rare because I'm always pulling out the saws and now I have 7 bales of Hay, etc...

You should list your dishes on Ebay, here's an example of sold stuff... People collect it... An ex of mine had a small kid's room full of dishes, don't know what they were, but she constantly bought more.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Man, I wish I was in your area because I would take all the Corelle stuff. I love Corelle stuff. That is a LOT of stuff and I'm glad you are getting things done and that you have help. I can empathize on the back thing and hope you let your body recover enough for it to stop hurting.

I never got my second nap in but I probably will in a few minutes-- if I can get my brain to settle.

I'm really not sure. I had planned to look at it in more depth tomorrow, but it is supposed to rain the next 3 days.

4 55 gallon bags, 2 45 gallon bags, and 2 33 gallon bags of stuff removed from the back porch yesterday and today. My back is killing me, and I actually got a massage today at 2pm.....
Its looking better, there is still so much to do out there. Waiting on my dumpster so it can be filled and dumped and filled again and again and again..... and maybe one more again.....

I found a ton of correlle ware today. This is half of it. It would be great if I could find one person to take it all. View attachment 28404

I have a headache from being out there even though I had a mask on.
There is a picnic table behind this, but here is the pile so far.

To say that I am tired is an understatement and my son is the one carrying the heavier bags for me
Hey Sha, great job... and I know it's a tough job... It's too bad, you can't set up a table at the end of the laneway, and sell some of that stuff... Find a kid to work it for you...

Anyways I wish you a GREAT job, and good luck at finishing it up!

I prefer to do my own chewing.
Mashed potatoes are just 1 of a 100 different ways to prepare potatoes, so an occasional treat.
Being part Irish, I love the taste of potatoes...
Some people like a few lumps left in their mashed potatoes so they know they aren't boxed instant potato glue...
My usual method now is clean and nuke the potatoes whole, mash them leaving skins on (depending on eaters), mix in some milk and maybe some butter if don't mind 'yellowing' them, top with homemade chicken gravy(rare... even at 'chicken restaurants')...

Last edited:
The caption indicated that the whole world's human population could theoretically fit into that blue box. (Spicoli, I don't know if they'd let you in. :D)
Let's see... if average person takes up about 2 square feet of floor space... times world population of 8 billion... that's 16 billion square feet... a box 24 miles by 24 miles... (no stacking allowed)
I think we're going to need a bigger box... (with apologies to "JAWS" )

In my house we always put a depression in the top of our mound of mashed potatoes for either gravy or Lesueur baby green peas.

I knew growing old was inevitable but thought it would take a lot longer.

Last edited:
Went to Lowe's to pickup a dirt roller that I'm going to use to flatten areas for new grass, and will probably use on the whole lawn. When they cleared the land, they didn't level it at all. I'm tired of mowing over a bunch of speed bumps.

While there, I noticed a recall on my Dewalt Miter Saw, so I will have to get it fixed... They are cute in the recall, saying "posing a laceration hazard" instead of "you could saw your hand off".

I thought it was cute.

My Delta sawn is on the recall also. I filled out the form online and they said they will ship parts. That's been a few weeks now and nothing yet. Of course they tell you to just stop using the saw....riiiiight.

My Delta sawn is on the recall also. I filled out the form online and they said they will ship parts. That's been a few weeks now and nothing yet. Of course they tell you to just stop using the saw....riiiiight.
I got a new handle assembly for the saw from Dewalt in less than a week, so hopefully they are quick. I don't know why I care, with the lumber prices still insane, I don't plan on using it.

I knew a guy that cut half his hand off with a Table Saw, so if they say no use, I no use.

Oops! Poor inventory control, I ran out of BP supplement (hawthorn berry). I am drinking hibiscus tea as a substitute until resupply from Swanson arrives. Change is gradual rather than a cliff but it was a goof on my part.

Per the news more pets are in surrender but adoption is still restricted beyond common sense. If anything cropped up locally all the crap could be waived but so far nothing.
Hey Buddy, that tea you drink, does it help our aging bodies? or is just good... I got onto some tea year ago, my sister introduced me to it, I forget the name, but it mushrooms from Dead birch trees, Man did it work... gave me tons of energy... I have to get started on it again... My problem is I have to make everything a habit, or I forget about it...

That's a shame about the adoption of animals... I think people who adopt animals are not going to abuse them... Unless they are checking for other things...

Well, I gotta go and watch YOUTUBE, to see who won the Federal Conservatives' election...

So, I hope YOU have a GREAT evening... and oh, Yeah didn't do anything today, except take Carl for his walk...

My mom always preferred mashed potatoes with no lumps. Super creamy texture. She added milk and sometimes eggs to them (not sure why eggs) to make them creamier. So now when I make mashed potatoes for her I add a little splash of milk.

Glad you noticed the recall before getting any injuries, Spicoli.

I just finished flattening, trimming, and taping the vinyl sheet in my bathroom. It's a total mess in there now bc of all the tape backings, cut off pieces, etc. I'll go clean it up after I cool off and my body stops protesting. I almost couldn't get back up off the floor. Thumbs hate me from using them to pry up the carpet band and shove the vinyl under. It didn't want to stay up and the vinyl didn't want to go under. Used a putty knife to shove it under. Also had to pry up bits of old carpet (the carpet from before we had new carpet in-- ugly beige crap that was in the bathrooms, closets, and all over.

I'll be taking pics before and after cleanup. Not sure if my knees, hips, and back will cooperate with mopping the floor, but if they do, I'll get it all cleaned up nicely. Floor isn't perfect but it will be fine. One crease I couldn't get out of the vinyl in front of the vanity will be covered with a bath mat so I don't care.

Back