What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turns out I did something productive on the home/DIY front today, by going around and sawing off a bunch of small tree branches I was tired of getting smacked in the face by when mowing the grass.

I know the 8th amendment doesn't have a lot of bumper stickers dedicated to it, but it still exists.

But also, just using your brain for half a second suppose it was legal to shoot thieves. How many murderers would simply tell the judge "Uhh, the guy was trying to steal something"?
Nothing "unusual" about shooting thieves/murders... been happening ever since slings and bows/arrows invented...
Thieves usually get salt in the butt the first time... buckshot the second time... solid lead the third time...

Have a nice burning smell coming from the dishwasher during the heated dry portion... It didn't trip the breaker, but I unplugged it and aired out the kitchen. Nothing was near the heater element, so I'm drawing a blank. I'm going to call in the Warranty service... Just before my extended warranty ends in Dec... Just in time for me to remember to ALWAYS get the extended warranty for ALL appliances... (Can't buy appliances at Costco because they don't offer them).

So, back to the Caveman days for a while, washing by hand.

I started cooking some Ground Beef for Chili, and looked up to see my younger Cat looking down at the Beef from the cabinet above... She isn't supposed to be up there, and she knows it.

I looked at her and said "This is a Kitty Cat that didn't behave."... Her head retracted a little bit, she jumped on the fridge, long jumped to the recliner, and ran away into her room.

There's nobody telling me Animals don't understand whatever language people speak. They understand it perfectly.

Yup, that's exactly why the Framers decided to write the constitution!
And didn't include anything about not shooting thieves/murderers/Brits... those crafty modern framers/farmers...
but did include guns for protection of property and family... from junkies-run-Govt...

Tell that to the drunks/addicts/junkies/thieves/murderers on their forum...
I'm not afraid to discuss the hard stuff with drunks/addicts/junkies/thieves/murders/pedophiles/adulterers/gluttons/sloths...... whatever you want to call them.
You have to meet people where they are and be the change you want to see in the world.

@Spicoli43 I am glad you were home just in case it had actually caught fire or something.

My rectangular bolts for the rider got here finally. Its sat there long enough to not be charged enough.
Ironically... my charger isn't charged enough to charge the battery (say that quick 3 rimes). It says It can take up to 41 hours to charge it 😳🙄. I found a trickle charger for a decent price, so it will be here later in the week. I will use it to try to charge the battery in my son's truck also. If it doesn't work, I will just exchange the battery. I wish he would sell the thing so I didn't have to look at it.

My other son had oral surgery earlier today, so.... I haven't gotten anything done. Might try here shortly to unload and load the dishwasher one more time. I was planning to get some legal stuff done tomorrow, but I think that I am going to stay home and get some stuff around here done and make a list of all the things I need to take care of while at the courthouse.

Just relaxing for a bit watching YouTube before I call it a night.

@BuzzLOL frustrating as those with addiction problems can be/are..... I'm forever grateful that I have not had to experience it first hand. Can you imagine what it must be like to be so out of control that you put yourself into the same situations over and over again and expect a different outcome? Thats the definition of insanity..... and then, your all one in the world with only other addicts that consistently communicate with you. I tell every subtype of the aforementioned people how proud I am of them, even if its only been 1 day since they used. To see that twinkle in their eyes or a small sparkle of hope is worth the time to really listen to them. I literally have nothing to offer but an ear and it makes a big difference. Is it tiring? Well of course it is..... but there are "normal" events in life that are equally as tiring and leave a much less positive seed of hope.

I am too tired to get into any in depth psychological or philosophical discussions. LOL.

Love the pi joke, Eddie.

I got up and mopped the bathroom floor. It wasn't cleaning well enough so I got down on a Kobalt kneeling mat and scrubbed every single damn square. Discovered there was a hard lump (turned out to be a screw) right in the middle of the vinyl stuck underneath it. I had to pull the vinyl up and get the screw out then try to get it to lay flat again. Wouldn't go as flat as I'd gotten it before but at this point I don't care. I mopped it as smooth as it would go, then continued cleaning. Screw did make a small puncture but you can't even see it. I then set down a thick paper I got for free from Samsclub (the associate who was responsible for getting rid of it overheard my brother saying I was tempted to take it and he said "Take it! Take them all! Please! You'll make my job easier!" so I took the whole stack (the papers had been on a pallet under some stuff that had been cleared out). Grabbed my toilet base and had my brother pull on the box so I could get it out. Set it on the foot of my bed and scrubbed it (cats had torn the cardboard and it had chunks of cardboard and cat vomit all over it). Got it all clean, set it on the paper, went and brought the tank in and set it down. Took a pencil to trace the base of the toilet (template for when I make a small platform). I had my wrench to remove the pex fitting, the pex cutters, better than wax seal, etc.

Went to go pick up my friend but he was at a doctor's appointment. While I was waiting I had a 3-bag laundry hamper thingy made of plastic pipes that I assembled. He rolled up as I was pulling the last loop of a bag over the button on it. He put it in his laundry room and took a 5 minute break before I took him to the house.

Friend was surprised I had the toilet in the room and near where it needed to be set. He did a dry fit before putting the flange on and made sure the tank wouldn't hit the wall. No problems. I complained that the last time the toilet tank on mom's toilet wobbled so he made sure this one didn't. I turned off the water pump but water kept running. I had to go to the main shutoff in the well shed. That worked. Then friend said "Ok, where's the toilet supply line?" Derp. I knew I had it somewhere. Looked all over in my bins, under the sink, everywhere. Then I said "I'll have to go buy one". And he moved on to installing the new ball latch and dummy knob. While I was looking for a tool in my bag I found the supply line. LOL. I'd cleverly hidden it from myself. Friend finished getting the dummy knob on and then got the supply line on (I kept crossthreading it when I tried).

So, toilet is flushing well, no leaks. I got my new trash can put in there. I still need to cleanup the supplies, repair the toilet seat, and get rid of the cardboard boxes. The plug that was used for the closet flange was absolutely disgusting btw. Looks like sewage had backed up and coated it. Pipe looked pretty gross inside too. Hoping the water that went down cleared it out. But now we have a 2nd working toilet and I'm happy. At the very least, now my brother doesn't have to go outside to pee if someone else is in Mom's bathroom.

@Spicoli43 I am glad you were home just in case it had actually caught fire or something.

My rectangular bolts for the rider got here finally. Its sat there long enough to not be charged enough.
Ironically... my charger isn't charged enough to charge the battery (say that quick 3 rimes). It says It can take up to 41 hours to charge it 😳🙄. I found a trickle charger for a decent price, so it will be here later in the week. I will use it to try to charge the battery in my son's truck also. If it doesn't work, I will just exchange the battery. I wish he would sell the thing so I didn't have to look at it.

My other son had oral surgery earlier today, so.... I haven't gotten anything done. Might try here shortly to unload and load the dishwasher one more time. I was planning to get some legal stuff done tomorrow, but I think that I am going to stay home and get some stuff around here done and make a list of all the things I need to take care of while at the courthouse.

Just relaxing for a bit watching YouTube before I call it a night.

Yeah, I don't run any appliance or charge anything when I'm not home. A neighbor lost the top of their house when a Lithium battery sparked and caught the curtains on fire. Granted, charging a battery is different than running the Dishwasher, but I still don't do it.

What brand of Electric Mower do you have?

Its not electric. Its the troybuilt 30b? I believe. The battery was only about 65% a couple of months ago when I thought I broke the rider. I took it to autozone and they are who said 65% . So, I wanted to trickle charge it before I decided to go buy another one.

Its not electric. Its the troybuilt 30b? I believe. The battery was only about 65% a couple of months ago when I thought I broke the rider. I took it to autozone and they are who said 65% . So, I wanted to trickle charge it before I decided to go buy another one.
Oh, Yes... Gas powered riding mowers, much like Gas powered riding cars, have batteries...

HAHAHA WOW... I don't need Coffee or a Brain jolt or anything!

I forgot to report back but my tea bag repair job (Apr 25th) on my right pointer finger nail was successful. The nail has grown out with no recurrence of the split. Should it recur repair is simple but so far so good.

I mentioned how yesterday I sawed off some of the smaller tree branches that I was tired of getting slapped in the face with. Today my plan is to saw some medium-sized ones that have reached the house.

I do all this with a hand saw of course, so it takes just a few minutes to get each branch down, but then a lot longer to clean them up and cut them into sections. I'm looking forward to it anyway, and I'm looking forward to using it as firewood in a year and a half. (This is all maple.)

Well, so much to write about... Our oldest son was addicted to meth... He went through some very hard times... It got to the point, I had to tell all family members not to give him any money... He was coming to us all for loans for food, and bills, but figured it was for more meth... One day after about 3 years of using, he went to his cousin, my wife's niece... and she sat with him for over 30 hours. He went through the shaking, scratching, and sweats, he went through a complete hell. He had done this a few times prior to this, but it never lasted, and I hated myself having to say no to him. It drove me crazy, I never say NO to my kids or grandkids.

But this time, he made it, he beat it... and he's been off it now for 4 years, went to college, got his diploma in accounting. He is now in charge of 5 apartment buildings. He collects the rents and sets whatever needs to be repaired. and is doing very very well in life, and we are so very proud of him. He has paid back a lot of the money that he borrowed from family and family friends. He is doing excellent.

As I said in other threads, I have lived in rural areas all my life, and don't seem to see the crime everyone speaks of... Sounds very scary. There was a cop in Toronto, shot dead in the head. God Bless his family and friends, and his children. Now here in Canada, we have the young offenders act, and I am 100% for getting rid of that law. Most kids today getting conned, or joining gangs, know that if they do a crime, it will be gone when they turn 17. I believe, if they are old enough to shoot, stab, or beat someone, then they are old enough to go to jail for the time they deserve to do the crime. I think all the laws need to be changed for all young people.

Have a nice burning smell coming from the dishwasher during the heated dry portion... It didn't trip the breaker, but I unplugged it and aired out the kitchen. Nothing was near the heater element, so I'm drawing a blank. I'm going to call in the Warranty service... Just before my extended warranty ends in Dec... Just in time for me to remember to ALWAYS get the extended warranty for ALL appliances... (Can't buy appliances at Costco because they don't offer them).

So, back to the Caveman days for a while, washing by hand.

I started cooking some Ground Beef for Chili, and looked up to see my younger Cat looking down at the Beef from the cabinet above... She isn't supposed to be up there, and she knows it.

I looked at her and said "This is a Kitty Cat that didn't behave."... Her head retracted a little bit, she jumped on the fridge, long jumped to the recliner, and ran away into her room.

There's nobody telling me Animals don't understand whatever language people speak. They understand it perfectly.
I understand going back to cave days. That is another thing I need to di, is install a dishwasher. Since we moved here a year ago, we have been doing dishes by hand... Not something I enjoy.. So hopefully by winter, we will put in a dishwasher. @Spicoli43 sounds like your heater is dying, and it's great you have an extended warranty on it. I never believed in putting warranties on appliances, but they are all computerized now and know they don't last as they did in the days of our parents...
Good Luck with that... Not a hard job to do, but a pain... but you have a warranty...
I have a John Deere, which I take the battery in every season, store it in my basement, and baby my tractor... I even wax it every year when I change the oil... But now I have to put a trickle charge on the battery after every use for the next use... They just don't make things like they used to... I'll have to buy a new battery for next year... and as you probably know, they are not very cheap in price...

Well yesterday, we went to Kingston to get introduced to the new drug... So got the 1st one yesterday, get 2 more in the next two months... and then a shot every 2 months... Took Carl for a walk in Kingston, and another one down on his river walk when we got back to Brockville...

Not very happy, Carl has not been doing too well for the last few weeks, he loves his walk, but he has had diarrhea for the last two weeks... We tried the chicken and rice, but he's not eating too much anymore... He's got a very bad smell to him... so we are heading to the vet this afternoon... I don't know what to expect... but upsets me, cuz he and his brother (littermate) were my best Buds over the years... we lost Lenny two years ago... and Carl is starting to be like Lenny now... he's 15.5 years old... But I don't want him to suffer in any way or form... So time will tell... I hope YOU all have a GREAT day... God Bless YOU all...
Cheers~

I never say NO to my kids or grandkids.
Hope you realize that almost cost you a son... and your niece had to fix it...
A junkie I know got forced into 90 day rehab by his kids last Tuesday... that will prolly cost us taxpayers $100.000.00... because our Govt. does the wrong things but is generous with our hard earned money... to fix their same blunders over and over...

Back