What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The batter rises up through the fruit and ends up on top?
Yes. I thought I had goofed as I substituted XXX sugar for granulated. My batter looked kinda thin. I baked it around 55 minutes until it browned. I think it would be hard to make it inedible.

I swept my bathroom floor and went to Walmart to grab some stuff I forgot the other day. Some stuff was added to my list later. Felt a little dizzy after grabbing some feed from TSC and got stuck in traffic because there was a wreck at Walmart. Not sure if it was at the turn-in or in the actual parking lot, but the cops were out stopping traffic and a tow truck was hauling off 2 vehicles & one had its front end completely smashed in. Grabbed some salads for later. Got some cups for my bathroom (the paper ones were in bad shape). Grabbed an HDMI cable for Mom's laptop because her screen stopped working. Friend looked at it and it works with a tv or monitor via HDMI but the computer is not detecting its own screen for some reason. Mom was using it and suddenly it blinked out for no reason. Techs said we'd have to send it back in for repair. It's still under warranty.

The cobblers look good. I wonder if those can be cooked in an air fryer in smaller sizes.

Was surprised to notice a couple years ago that at Walmart 5 quarts jug of regular motor oil was $12.99... and jug of full synthetic was only $13.99... of course, that's now more like $17.99 and $21.99... Would expect to have an oil filter no matter what type of oil?
Also, those jugs of oil all have electronic security devices on them now...
I wish Oil was that cheap here... I buy the biggest container, so it's probably 4liters... and that would cost me anywhere from $30 - $55

So my oil change cost me $743 because I also needed a wheel bearing... So I am going to see the garage that did the safety... Seems they missed the bearing...

Anyways, that is my day...Have a good one...
Cheers~
Mike

I wish Oil was that cheap here... I buy the biggest container, so it's probably 4liters... and that would cost me anywhere from $30 - $55

So my oil change cost me $743 because I also needed a wheel bearing... So I am going to see the garage that did the safety... Seems they missed the bearing...
Why was the wheel bearing so much? 4WD? Did they give you the old bearing?
Here's the oil I use, only in 5W-20 (Imperial Gallon):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Te...thetic-SAE-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5-Quarts/839552658(Don't know why the weird name popped up)

Well, here it is. We'll find out how it tastes tonight.
Well, to be honest, I took one bite, then tossed the rest. I think if some sugar was sprinkled on top, was allowed to cook for 20 more minutes, and adding some nutmeg and cinnamon would certainly have helped. I also think the peach juice should have been added to the batter before cooking. All this would have made this edible, instead of throwing it all in the trash.

Well, to be honest, I took one bite, then tossed the rest. I think if some sugar was sprinkled on top, was allowed to cook for 20 more minutes, and adding some nutmeg and cinnamon would certainly have helped. I also think the peach juice should have been added to the batter before cooking. All this would have made this edible, instead of throwing it all in the trash.

Sorry, mine turned out great. I almost ate it all last night but considered that would be the intake of a full cup of sugar in one evening. I forgot the vanilla but it didn't seem to make any difference. I put a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream on my portion while still warm.

I Made something that didn't turn out as expected a while back and I just poured some pancake syrup over it and ate it as a fritter.

Last edited:
I think people mean different things by "cobbler". I always took it to mean a gooey fruity mixture down below and a crumbly sugary mixture up top, but I have seen things get called "cobbler" that are really more like "wet fruity cake you could eat with a spoon". For those I'd say serving it hot and a la mode is a requirement, maybe over a large fresh (or freshly microwaved) oatmeal cookie, but I'm just describing my own tastes at that point.

Today I swapped out a defective pickup on my guitar for a replacement that was kindly sent to me by the manufacturer. What a difference that makes! Loving that satisfaction of being able to successfully do it myself.

Got a letter from the power company saying my bill has dropped to $96 from $128. That's because I was a sweaty mess all Summer instead of using the AC a lot. That's great that they have to do that because they owe me a couple hundred, but if it's -40 for a Month, I'll end up owing them and they will raise it back up in a few months.

I wish they would just leave it and it wouldn't mess up my budget and they could give me a check if I move while they owe me. Keep it Simple, Stupid.

Sorry to hear the cobbler didn't turn out. I'm not exactly sure what a cobbler is. I just know there were things called cobbler and for some reason I keep thinking of a tree called catobler tree. Had these weird grubs that box turtles loved. They were good for fishing too.

Havasu, I've had bills that high back when the wires on the top of the pole came loose and it was drawing too much power just to use the lights. Had to get it fixed. Old AC used to use so much power that when we got a new AC they sent someone out to check our meter to figure out why the usage dropped so much. LOL.

My friend's bills have been much lower since his gf's mooching family moved out, but the mooching family have consistently had bills around $900 per month. They run AC even when its cold and leave the door open. Leave all the lights on, and are very wasteful. But they can't fathom why they have a high bill. They never contributed to a single power bill when they stayed with my friend and he got hit with some $1200 electric bills while they were there.

I slept until 5pm. Just feeling exhausted. Had some back and forth with CyberpowerPC about sending Mom's laptop back to get the screen replaced/fixed. It's just dead for no apparent reason. They are not organized at all about warranty stuff. Said we have to pay to send it to them. No RMA number, no code or anything to put on it to indicate that we are sending it in for repair... I had to explain to the guy that I want some sort of system where I know we're getting the computer back & not just sending it blindly. He still hasn't given me the address to send it to or which department to address it to. It's like they don't know how to handle returns for warranty repairs. I wish I could have my friend fix it but the replacement part is sold out right now.

Got a letter from the power company saying my bill has dropped to $96 from $128. That's because I was a sweaty mess all Summer instead of using the AC a lot. \
My electric isn't on level payment, varies from about $45 - $95/month... plus gas for heat in winter... kept this big old barn of a house cooler this summer... 75 max instead of usual 77 max degrees... open windows late on cool nights to cool the house down... close them in the morning before it warms up... my electric bill due 2 days ago was $73.49... we have a high electric rate here...
I like my bills on uneven payments because when they get high I scream and do something about them...

Havasu, I've had bills that high back when the wires on the top of the pole came loose and it was drawing too much power just to use the lights. Had to get it fixed. Old AC used to use so much power that when we got a new AC they sent someone out to check our meter to figure out why the usage dropped so much. LOL.

My friend's bills have been much lower since his gf's mooching family moved out, but the mooching family have consistently had bills around $900 per month. They run AC even when its cold and leave the door open. Leave all the lights on, and are very wasteful. But they can't fathom why they have a high bill. They never contributed to a single power bill when they stayed with my friend and he got hit with some $1200 electric bills while they were there.
When I switched to high efficiency gas furnace the gas company kept wondering why I wasn't using much gas any more... why the meter readings were so low...
The things you folks tolerate in YOUR homes I would never allow...

Why was the wheel bearing so much? 4WD? Did they give you the old bearing?
Here's the oil I use, only in 5W-20 (Imperial Gallon):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Te...thetic-SAE-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5-Quarts/839552658(Don't know why the weird name popped up)
I have been dealing with this mechanic for years, he's not one to rip me off... The wheel bearing was around $451, and the labour on it was $155 around... Don't remember the exact numbers... And yes it's 4X4...

My mechanic offered me the bearing, and I said, no thanks, you have never ripped me off before... So yesterday on the way up to my brothers to get our other truck... I stopped at the garage that did the safety... He told me he was going to call the owner, and that he would have my money on Friday... So that was simple...

I wish they would just leave it and it wouldn't mess up my budget and they could give me a check if I move while they owe me. Keep it Simple, Stupid.
Could NOT agree with YOU more... They have finally left my build-up of money there, and if there's a credit, attach to the money I have built up... I pay $120 a month every month... and now have roughly $900 saved up on the account... I want to get it so I don't have to pay for a year... Time will tell, think it's the same on the gas bill and internet... Rather be ahead of the game, than behind the game...

So as I said above, we drove in the new truck to us up to my brothers to retrieve the other truck... So they are both in the laneway now... The sun is shining for the first time this week, so going to try and start cleaning up the property for winter...

One of my customers for scrap just called telling me they got lots more for me, So will probably get it next week...

Had a huge thunderstorm here during the night... quite a few very big boomers... Woke the whole house up... Ah well, we all survived...

Hope YOU all have a GREAT day, Take care of yourselves...
Cheers ~
Mike

Spicoli, when we first started buying from CyberpowerPC they were a good company. They were highly rated but I guess they declined over the years (like many companies). I've never had a problem like this from one of their builds before and never had to return something so I don't know what the deal is. But they really need to work on their customer service.

Stomach & digestive tract are not feeling great today. Got post-nasal drip mucking things up and slight sinus headache. Feeling run down. Probably a cold or something but blech. I'm going to force myself to get up and clean later but I want to nap a little first.

I just checked the prices of wheel-bearings on Autozone site and they range from around $90 to $760 depending on the type.

Spicoli, when we first started buying from CyberpowerPC they were a good company. They were highly rated but I guess they declined over the years (like many companies). I've never had a problem like this from one of their builds before and never had to return something so I don't know what the deal is. But they really need to work on their customer service.
Yeah, companies are dying. The former BOD member of Home Depot, Marvin Ellison went on to become the CEO of JC Penney and burned it down, and now is the CEO of Lowe's, burning it down. He's probably still paid by HD of course...

Amazon, Bed Bath and Beyond, HEB, Kohl's and Wayfair exposed themselves as Fascists among other retailers...

Target, Disney, Netflix and State Farm exposed themselves as Pedophiles etc...

Just thinking about "Name brand" stuff and why it sells. I actually want to know why certain brands sell, and I'll make it as simple as the 30 oz. Coffee Tumblers I use, the Ozark Trail...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tr...Steel-Tumbler-32-Ounce/884332909?athbdg=L1600
I just got an email from ACE that has the Yeti version... IT'S THE SAME THING for $29 more... It's probably made in the same factory.

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...gadgets/water-bottles-and-travel-mugs/8924623
By the way, I fully endorse the Ozark Trail tumbler, drinking out of one now that's more than 8 years old. I have a brand new spare that's collecting dust because this one isn't finished.

The same can be applied to everything...

Back