What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old microwave is sitting on its back in my garage. @RedneckGrump you said you harvest batteries out of these. Can you recommend a tutorial somewhere?

I wish I could refurbish my old 3cubic ft convection microwave. It's ugly as sin with the fake wood look, but that thing was great for cooking larger stuff. Lasted 22 years. Power surges finally killed it.

I cleaned up the hallway and started cleaning in the kitchen but felt awful and decided to sit down. Went into the bathroom and made a mix of baking soda and vinegar. Got to watch it fizz when I added the baking soda. Made a paste and tried to slather it all over the inside of the sink. I think I need less liquid and more powder next time to see if it will stay. Letting it sit for an hour and then will go scrub it off. If it works on the spots where it actually stuck I'll try to find a way to get it to stick to other spots as well. Didn't need the lemon juice as the smell from the white vinegar wasn't so strong.

My old microwave is sitting on its back in my garage. @RedneckGrump you said you harvest batteries out of these. Can you recommend a tutorial somewhere?
It's the two donut magnets that you harvest. Also I think there are plans available to make some kind of welder using the transformer. The only caution would be to discharge the capacitor.

It's the two donut magnets that you harvest.
Yes, that's what I remember RedneckGrump saying. Where are these magnets, typically?

The only caution would be to discharge the capacitor.
What does a capacitor look like, where is it located, and how do I safely discharge it?

????????????

What are you powering, a Costco?
In California, with one energy provider (So Cal Edison), they charge what they want. They also were sued for power lines falling in a wind event, so this lawsuit was tacked on to our bill. Finally, the Public Utilities Commission, elected by our governor, are in bed with our governor, so what Edison wants, Edison gets. Combine this with 14 days of 100 degree heat, the electric cars our governor is pushing, the constant threat of "Brown Outs", and most bills run between $500 - $1000 a month.

Fish Mox cleared Tomas' respiratory ailment. I have stopped dosing his food as he is getting 2 loose.

No batteries Buddy, Magnets...
It's the two donut magnets that you harvest. Also I think there are plans available to make some kind of welder using the transformer. The only caution would be to discharge the capacitor.
Yeah, One of these days I am going to build a welder, have quite a few BIG transformers... But also great copper in them... But have kept the bigger ones for a welder I am going to make one of these days...
This may be a good tutorial, if not just try another.

Great video, shows you everything you need to do Flyover... Great magnets in microwaves... also copper spools, aluminum fins... There is quite a bit to scrap out of a microwave...

Didn't do a lot today... took Carl for his walk...Went and got some round batter board, wanna put it in the gaps of my doors in the shop, and then spray some foam to fill up the gaps...

That's about all I did today... Tomorrow going to drive to the city of Ottawa to go to a cement distributor, and see if I can find something close to my brick, and a cement sill... But have to wait and see how the wife feels...

Well, that's everything for today... sitting here, sipping on my Forty Creek whisky over some ice...

Will check in tomorrow... Hope YOU all have a GREAT night...

Cheers~
Mike

@zannej if we lived closer, I'd help you clean so you can have some piece. Buy a shed for 2 of you and turn them into individual homes.... 😆🤣... you'd get some peace and quiet.

Also... those are called catalpa trees. They sphinx moth larvae are what you are talking about. My ex husband and I used to drive around a couple of neighborhoods that had them and check the larvae to go fishing with.

My electric bill is on level payments, its between 220 and 250 a month. I keep it 70 to 72 in the summer and 66 to 68 in the winter. I also let it get colder at night in the winter and set it to start warming up about an hour before I think I will get up.

I am going to attempt to do the courthouse stuff tomorrow. Hopeful that I have figured out all the right forms.

Its funny. I am first generation college graduate (not counting my other half of DNA because I have never met him and don't know if he finished or not). I do not know one person who has had a parent pass and own nothing, that can help me figure out how to file the Summary for release from administration. I find it difficult to believe that noone I know, knows how to do that, or has gone through it..... yet here I am.

I went to my massage therapist today, it was a great massage. I'm hopeful to not be super stiff and sore tomorrow. She found super tight knots in my hips and worked them out.... ended up "adjusting" my back trying to loosen up the muscles. She tells me she doesn't see how I get out of bed some morning with how tight my muscle/ligaments/fascia are..... I told her I didn't realize I had a choice lol. I just do what I do when I can do. When I can't.... I complain about it till I do it anyway. I didn't get to cut grass today it rained. I haven't looked at forecast for tomorrow since I have things I have to do.... but maybe I will get lucky and be able to later in the day.... or at least maybe wewdeat..... although if I weedeat aRound the perimeter of the back yard, I will definitely get poison oak/ivy/sumac.
I will try to remember to take pics in the morning because I forgot to today.

Hope ya'll have a blessed night's sleep.

Hey @shan2themax, hope that back pain disappears for you... I know pain oh so very much... Have you ever heard of a thing called the TENS machine... does miracles on pain, especially the back, shoulders, and glutes... Should look into getting one

They suggested we get one after our car accident... and we use it to this day... Helps a lot...

Red, I have used one in the past. However I can't reach the part of my back that acts up the most. However...... my back has gotten tremendously better. I had to go part time for a year. I worked 2 days a week, 12 hour shifts. I just can't do the lifting, tugging, pulling on patients anymore. It just is too hard on my back. I have fibromyalgia (🙄) also, so when I feel good, I try to cram a whole lot into that day. I'm gonna be miserable the next day with much physical activity anyways, so I try to get 1 or 2 packed days into my 7 days off so that I can have time to recoup. It bites me in the butt anyways sometimes, but I give it a go anyways......
I drank entirely too much of my international delight mocha/caramel macchiato iced coffee this morning..... WhY aM I AWakE lol

I Almost forgot to mention I made a meatloaf with mashed potatoes and greens beans for dinner, tossed some crescent rolls in the oven too. It was a good meal!

Last edited:
Thanks, Shan. I hope your back gets feeling better.
I had ramen noodles in chicken broth for dinner.

Havasu, sounds like my friend's power company. A truck hit a power pole and damaged it. Cleco passed the repair bill on to the customers who were affected by the outage. They also keep sending my friend disconnect notices claiming he owes for a previous month when he's up-to-date & they send him these notices before he even gets the bill or on the same day he gets the bill. If he doesn't pay almost immediately they cut his power off, charge him a reconnect fee plus a $300 deposit fee. And they have cut his power off more than 5x in the past year even when he actually paid on time and there was only $2 owed because of some BS fees they tacked on. I'm not even sure what they are doing is legal.

I didn't have coffee but I'm awake. I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about how my sink needed to be cleaned. It still needs more cleaning, but it looks better.

I'm going to try to get some sleep now though. Power outage yesterday threw me off.

In California, with one energy provider (So Cal Edison), they charge what they want. They also were sued for power lines falling in a wind event, so this lawsuit was tacked on to our bill. Finally, the Public Utilities Commission, elected by our governor, are in bed with our governor, so what Edison wants, Edison gets. Combine this with 14 days of 100 degree heat, the electric cars our governor is pushing, the constant threat of "Brown Outs", and most bills run between $500 - $1000 a month.

There's one provider here, but there's no Communism. We got rid of our Commie Governor after he mandated masks. I remember PG&E turning off the power to "prevent" fires... I'm an outsider, so I don't understand why people keep voting for the Commies in CA... I do know I can't drive to the store without seeing CA, OR or WA plates.

Newsom will probably be picked as VP by "President" Kamala soon... Then Kamala will resign and Newsom is "President" It will happen before November because it has to happen before then. We are all Kommiefornia soon.

I just checked the prices of wheel-bearings on Autozone site and they range from around $90 to $760 depending on the type.
I checked the prices of "wheel bearings" on RockAuto.com and they ranged from about $3 - 25... now if you're talking the whole "hub" plus bearings that's more money...

Tesla... $120,000... Perfect...

New battery in 8 Years... $45,000... Excellent...

Waiting 24 Hours in public to charge it... PRICELESS!
And here I am thinking the gasoline cars they make these days with a million sensors and other doodads that keep going bad make horrible 'used cars'...
The Govt/taxpayers subsidized the batteries for $10K when the cars were sold new and now the Govt will prolly subsidize the batteries another $40-60K for replacement for used car buyers...
These EVs should be made to stand on their own like gasoline cars are instead of subsidizing them before the technology, quick change universal batteries, power station generating capability, and charging infrastructure are ready for mass usage...
Spend those $Trillions on reducing the Democrats' beloved junkies CRIME WAVE of 75 MURDERS DAILY and MILLIONS of OTHER DAILY CRIMES !!!
Ditto for the $Trillions more and massive energy amounts they want to waste on impractical space travel! Use that to solve current out of control earth problems!

I don't know how that happened, edit it twice, and it only shows one v ideo, but when I post it, I get the same video posted... Go figure...
I occasionally have the same weirdness happen on this site... sometimes copying what you want and then deleting all the extra windows/duplicated text that pops up and then pasting only what you want back in works...

Back