What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you believe "voting third party is throwing your vote away" it means you should also believe that if the candidate you voted for gets elected, then you are partly responsible for everything he or she does while in office (because without your vote none of it would have been possible).

You'd think this would make people who insist on voting for mainstream candidates a lot more picky about who they will give their all-important vote to, but instead it seems to have the opposite effect.

So when people say "voting third party is throwing your vote away" what I hear is "you should vote for a scoundrel who doesn't share your values so you can take the blame for the mess he will make if he's elected." Maybe that's persuasive to somebody out there, but not to me. If someone's going to insist that I vote (and someone does) then I'm voting for the person I think would do the job least worst, even if I have to write that person's name in letter by letter.

I made the initial cuts on my newest woodworking project today. This involved using for the first time a bandsaw, a scroll saw, and an edge/belt spindle sander. I took pictures but my phone died before I could get them onto this computer.

Last edited:
I agree the system is really flawed. But honestly, has a third party ever even come close to making any difference?

So long as we are stuck with a 2 party system where 3rd party people can't even make it on the ballot in every state, we will never have a 3rd party president.
and the DNC and RNC choose who their candidates will be and block anyone they don't like so we end up with crappy candidates. I wish we could have a 3rd party person win, but so long as we have the current system, it won't happen and that is sad. But, I also believe in voting for who you think best fits your views and who you want to have as president. My vote always gets nullified by the EC anyway so its a throwaway regardless so voting 3rd party changes nothing for me.

has a third party ever even come close to making any difference?
I would turn the question around: given the long history of disasters the mainstream parties/candidates are unquestionably responsible for, why would anyone want to associate with them?

Either you believe your vote makes a difference, in which case you're responsible for those disasters too, or you believe your vote doesn't make a difference either way, in which case why not vote for someone who actually represents your views?

Ross Perot came close back when as a 3rd party candidate. There is still hope for a 3rd party. I voted for Jo Jorgensen last election. I believe she was on the ballot in every state for the Libertarian party. There is usually a Green party candidate on all the ballots too. There is a new party on the horizon, the Forward party. Maybe they can offer something to the people, like me, that think the 2 main patries have been co-opted by the extreme elements of their parties.

Forward Party

Well, Good Morning Foks... A lot of talk about politics here, maybe we should have a politics thread and a general talk thread...

Thought this was for what you did today, and maybe yesterday if you didn't get on here...

Yesterday, was the first day in a while that didn't rain... So we were able to take Carl for his walk down on the river walk... and got to see a couple of ships go by... Love watching the ships, and am amazed by something that big, 435 feet long, and probably 25" from water to the railing of the ship can stay afloat...

Came home, cut the front of our house and my neighbour, always thinks it looks better if you are to drive by...

Then cut the back acre and Lorie pulled the veggie garden out since it was hit by frost the other day... and all the green peppers we didn't get cut off turned black, so yeah frost hit it. She also cut all our hostas down in the back... and a few other perennials.. After cutting the grass, I had a gin and tonic... Then I built a leaf composter with the skids I collected over the year. It's 12' long, 5' wide, and 4' deep... So the wife put all the hostas and garden cuttings in there... I have 4 huge maples on our property, that drop a lot of leaves

Now it's supposed to rain for the next three days, so I guess it's indoor jobs... So I guess, I will be working in the basement, and the workshops...

So, that's what's going on in Brockville, Canada the remaining part of the weekend... I hope YOU all have a wonderful day and an even better week...
Cheers~
Mike

20210809_085123.jpg

Your right about the politics, we get side tracked from time to time. I've been nursing a back strain for several days, lots of pain. Did it washing the windows outside last week, just turned and tweaked it. Man it's tough getting old, but I say it's better than not getting old. Supposed to go up to Lake St. Clair starting Tuesday for a fishing trip but not sure I can take it in the boat all day for 5 or 6 days. 6 other guys going and everyone is sort of waiting for me to decide if I can do it since I have 1 of the boats. Don't want to let everyone down so I'm trying to heal faster.

I love to watch the freighters too Grump. My wife went on a trip on a freighter about 4 years ago. Went with a 4 other women one of which won the trip in a raffle for the Great Lakes Ship Museum. They were on the Paul R. Tegurtha, a 1000 footer. I believe it's the largest on the lakes. The left East China, MI and went to Monroe, MI and unloaded coal. Then went to Duluth, MI and picked up iron ore. Then went to East Chicago, IN. Took about 10 days I believe. I was very jealous.

Your right about the politics, we get side tracked from time to time. I've been nursing a back strain for several days, lots of pain. Did it washing the windows outside last week, just turned and tweaked it. Man it's tough getting old, but I say it's better than not getting old. Supposed to go up to Lake St. Clair starting Tuesday for a fishing trip but not sure I can take it in the boat all day for 5 or 6 days. 6 other guys going and everyone is sort of waiting for me to decide if I can do it since I have 1 of the boats. Don't want to let everyone down so I'm trying to heal faster.

I love to watch the freighters too Grump. My wife went on a trip on a freighter about 4 years ago. Went with a 4 other women one of which won the trip in a raffle for the Great Lakes Ship Museum. They were on the Paul R. Tegurtha, a 1000 footer. I believe it's the largest on the lakes. The left East China, MI and went to Monroe, MI and unloaded coal. Then went to Duluth, MI and picked up iron ore. Then went to East Chicago, IN. Took about 10 days I believe. I was very jealous.
Hope YOU feel better @68bucks Hope the back begins to feel better... My Buddy suffers from a bad back... Lay on the floor several times today, and put your legs up the wall... It will hurt to get there, but once you get there it will feel much better, stay in that position for 15 - 20 minutes...

Yeah, I love watching the ships... they say 10 years ago St. Lawerence looked like a highway with these ships... That would have been awesome to see... It'll be ending in a few weeks to spring again...

Well Buddy, Hope your back feels better...
Cheers
Mike

So..... my daughter came over yesterday to "work" for gas money, because the Bank of Mom has officially been shut down due to loan payments not starting on time related to her job change ( 🤣🤣🤣🤣). I layed the tarp down up against the fence with hate that will be closer to dumpster when it arrives. She piled all the bags we already had, and then she put probably 8 more out there. We put the empty foot lockers close to my broken 🔥 barrel, made a pile of electronics, put a extra wide "chair" (almost love seat size) out there as well as extra couch cushions, and an ottaman. Over.... I'm pretty sure the yard is a bigger mess because of the piles, but...... for the first time since I can ever remember since 2007, I can look out the sliding glass door and into the backyard. I'm sure I could see out it in 2008, I just don't remember it. Then I did a load of laundry. I watched TV for a bit and then decided it was time for bed... so I folded the dry laundry and tossed towels in the washer. Started looking at the washer because it hasn't been level for more time than I care to admit. So I pushed the dryer partially in the doorway (very small laundry room) and attempted to lower the feet on the right hand side and they wouldn't budge in either direction. I tried to use some chennel locks but that didn't work. So...... I scooted the washer part way behind the dryer and tilted it, reached for the feet and they were gross.... so then I had to yell for help, so that I could get a rag and the broom and dustpan.... got the mess cleaned up and the feet cleaned up and turned them a few times each. Put the washer and dryer back and stood by and admired my work with no level (it was in the garage). Looked pretty even. Took the towels out earlier and they felt more dry. Hopefully they dry better. Another project off the to-do list. Now, earlier in the week, I changed out the dryer end cap thingy to a new one, shortened the hose because it was way too long, emptied out the hose and such..... fast forward, I noticed condensation inside the dryer and now I am annoyed because I had just cleaned out the dryer hose and changed the outside portion of the dryer vent. So.... I was going outside to take the riders battery off and close my window and decided to check the outside vent. I knew condensation meant a blockage somewhere and I wasn't looking forward to dragging the dryer out of the laundry area so that I could see if it was blocked inside, so I reach down and pulled the bottom piece (cage) off the dryer vent and it was way beyond FULL. I was shocked since I had just cleaned the dryer vent tubing out and the end of the dryer like 2 or 3 days before that. There was a solid 1/2" of damp lint on there. I have been checking it daily since then and there hasnt been hardly any on there. I am an avid, pull the filter out before and after every load (incase I have forgotten) person. I do have a long brush that I put down the vent fairly often, so maybe I shouldn't do that as often. I may get my endoscope out and shove it down the back of the dryer one day before I go back to work.....

See what I do to myself? I decide to go to bed, and then I get overly involved in something because I had the energy to work on it.

My pieced together bookcase in my bedroom closet fell apart yesterday. I have a new bookcase in the garage to replace the one that broke.... so I may do that this evening... we shall see what the day brings.

Although, today is supposed to be the one day a week that I only read, do a Bible study, or just lay around. I didn't wake up till 1045 this morning and only because my daughter called me. I never sleep that late!

Hope you all have a good day today!

Shan, does the Dryer have a warning / error code that the ducting is blocked? How far from the outside is the Dryer?

Most places I have lived, the Dryer is right up against the outside wall, so the duct is about a foot long if that, but here it's about 40 feet and I have to take it apart twice a year to vacuum it out, but it goes down through the crawl space.

Its about 2 to 3 feet max. No error codes and I just did another load, no moisture this time, just dry towels thank goodness.

I am going to keep an eye on it for sure though!

I took some pics of my piles earlier and the back porch, so I could see the progress. I will post them later.

Currently putting that book shelf together since mine broke, and my leg went numb so I had to get up off the floor for a few.

So much for ready today right? Lol. I can't seem to help myself.

RedneckGrump, that's a nice view! My father and his brother sometimes used to take us fishing down near some barges. I think a separate thread for politics would be a good idea. I've seen people leave forums over political discussions in general threads. People have strong opinions on it.

68bucks, sorry about your back. I've been there so I know how it is. Found a Conair vibrating heating pad at Walmart that has actually helped. Stays on a long time and you can adjust it up and down on your back to hit the right spot. It came with velcro straps you can use to secure it.

Shan, I'm glad you're making progress and I hope your daughter's "work" helped. Glad you can see out the sliding glass door now. Those leveling feet on machines can be a total pain to adjust. Especially the back corner ones. Dryer duct thing sounds like a pain, but I'm glad you got that sorted as well. My dryer duct isn't even connected anymore. An opossum got in and shredded it while trying to escape from the dogs. My brother rarely cleans the lint filter. I went to clean it after he did his laundry (I always have to check before doing mine) and discovered pretty much a whole cat worth of fur/hair/lint. I need to find my brush thingy and clear it out and get a vacuum with a small enough attachment up in there for anything that gets missed. I know I can take part of the panel off if need be. Also need to clean inside my washing machine's rubber gasket.

I cooked, picked stuff up, tried to remove a stain from my vinyl sheet to no avail, and then pretty much rested today.

you should also believe that if the candidate you voted for gets elected, then you are partly responsible for everything he or she does while in office
True and I'm responsible for him making USA great again, gasoline down to $1.25/gallon, ISIS destroyed, wars ended, no more US Troops dying in Afghanistan, Putin blocked from attacking or taking any countries, also read the riot act to Putin and Kim in person, scared the shiiite out of China, didn't hide in his basement, had lots of press conferences, created the Best Economy and most jobs the USA had ever seen, low food and other prices, store shelves full, etc...

Ross Perot came close back when as a 3rd party candidate.
Ross Perot did a good job at pointing out what was wrong, but, the other 1/2, when he said what he would do instead, he scared the hell out of everyone! For instance, as a $Billionaire, he didn't see any problem with doubling the price of gasoline... etc...

Love watching the ships, and am amazed by something that big, 435 feet long, and probably 25" from water to the railing of the ship can stay afloat...
Drove down the Henry Hudson Parkway in NYCity past the Air Craft Carrier USS Intrepid in the Hudson River, "The Fighting I " of 4 wars, and was surprised there isn't much to see... just hull... the deck is about 100 feet above the water/roadway and up on there is where everything is...
Modern carriers are twice as long...

I love to watch the freighters too Grump.
I think we have old 8mm movies of the ill fated freighter Edmund Fitzgerald passing right near us while fishing in the Toledo Channel on Lake Erie... I need to dig them out... back in the day I had a small Japanese projector but it bends the films too much and would destroy old films, I need to pick up a used full size Bell & Howell or Tower brand projector to work with.

I just did another load, no moisture this time, just dry towels thank goodness.
If it's a rainy day and 100% humidity, it can take longer to get clothes dry and also to dry your body and hair after a shower... my hair was still a little damp when I got to the dentist Wednesday... I even drove with the windows down and the wind blowing through it... went into rest room in dentist's office and combed it best I could...

I think we have old 8mm movies of the ill fated freighter Edmund Fitzgerald passing right near us while fishing in the Toledo Channel on Lake Erie... I need to dig them out... back in the day I had a small Japanese projector but it bends the films too much and would destroy old films, I need to pick up a used full size Bell & Howell or Tower brand projector to work with.
You should get the old film put on DVD to preserve the images. My mom did that with some old film of my dad racing. There is also some old footage from the Indy 500 back in the mid 60's. It pretty cool to look at how the track looked back then and there were both front and rear engine cars. I don't think it was too expensive.

Back