What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish they would keep marijuana and all other illegal drugs as illegal... and enforce it... tired of dealing with people with murderous drug personalities... and 75 murders daily in this country...
10 Valentines Day Massacres DAILY !
Yeah we should re-prohibit alcohol so we can get some murderous liquor personalities too. Don't ya just miss that sweetheart Al Capone?

Went fishing for a few days on Lake St Clair and the St Clair River. Great time, weather was good, fishing was OK. Went with 6 good friends. 5 of them guys I worked with 30 years or longer. Saw lots of freighters too. 20220930_160146.jpg20220930_151306.jpg57277.jpeg

Tried a small London Broil roast on my rocket stove grill. It looked like a thick steak charred on both sides and medium rare. Of course it was a bit tough so I sliced as thin as I could with a sharp fillet knife and ate as half sandwiches on buttered loaf bread. The flavor was super and I ate about half of a 2.56 lb roast. Maybe some steak biscuits tomorrow.

Shan, don't be hard on yourself. You only recently lost your mother and she left you with this huge mess. I was a complete mess when my dad died and didn't get anything done for over a year. I think Killz will cover the nicotine stains. What you've done thus far looks good!

68bucks, that is beautiful scenery.

Eddie, that sounds delicious.

I'm about to try to get to sleep for the night. Woke up sneezing and needed allergy meds.

Yes, @shan2themax, YOU are doing the best YOU can, and so far have done a wonderful job...Love watching those ships on the St. Lawerence @68bucks, I think they are finished flowing down here now till the spring... I cannot remember if they stop the beginning of October or the ending... I think if you cook it slower, @Eddie_T it would have been tender but does sound delicious...@zannej I hope YOU begin to feel much better soon...

Have a GREAT day everyone...
cheers~

Good Morning everyone!
Thanks for the encouragement @zannej and @RedneckGrump and others.
So, I can't go to work today because I have to be retested because I still have symptoms.... I guess I should be happy that I have gotten extra days off..... but I'm not lol.
I woke up this morning with a thought... it might be delusional 😕 lol.
So..... in an effort to not worry about this sliding glass door.... if I took the screws out of the left hand side (and bottom) and put a brace up with the door open and pound some 2x4s into each side of the wood i hose to brace the top with, could I leverage that up a little to fix the rotten spot underneath it? I was thinking putting a piece of 2x6 running under the slider and that should give me enough width to be able to screw new subfloor down, if I can get wood wedged under the bottom......
Idk, I come up with crazy thoughts sometimes..... but if that would work.... I could just quit thinking about the door until spring or something.

I have to go be retested this afternoon, won't have results for 24 hours.

I think I will clean the back of my car out and take the few things in my moms storage unit that are my oldest sons and put them in the car, and then take them to him this evening and drop them off in front of his garage.
If I wait for him to do it, it will never happen.... so, I will do it instead.
I'm patiently impatient, does that even make sense?

@zannej have you ever tried Flonase (fluticasone) nasal spray? It may help you with all the allergy problems.

I soaked that white plastic tall divided bin thingy, that was in front of the slider in the pic I posted on my sliding door post. I am going to spray paint it to cover the stains that the bleach water and dawn didn't get off after soaking for 10ish hours and then me scrubbing it. I'm going to spray paint it Navy I believe, then the drawer fronts I think I will put contact paper on the fronts. Once that is finished, I will be able to use it in my Office (once it is put together after the cats are gone).
I ****might**** try to mow again today, we shall see about that. I would kind of like to start emptying stuff out of the metal building, I might do that for a little bit also.

Anyways, hope everyone has a great day!

I cleaned the back of my SUV out, loaded his stuff up and took it to my sons, he unloaded it and put everything in his 2nd garage. I also spray painted *most* of that tall plastic organizer..... I have 2 more pieces and maybe some touch ups, but I ran out of paint and the other 2 cans were a different color. Sooooo, I will finish that tomorrow after my groceries (and another can of spray paint) are delivered. I am supposed to get a massage tomorrow, however.... idk if I will have my test results back in time before the appt, so I may need to reschedule that.
I got some more things cleaned and packed up to take to habitat for humanity restore, I'm not sure when I will do that. I'd like to make as few trips as possible, but I am sure there are more glassware items in the storage unit.
I made some calls about my moms cats today, and that got me nowhere, just frustrated and upset.

If I get results in time for massage, I plan to go to the courthouse (same direction), if not.... I will probably just work around the house tomorrow.

Hope everyone has had a good day!

Morning, Redneck. I think the lentils in the veggie pasta that I ate last night didn't agree with my guts. Tasted good, but I may have to find a different veggie pasta option. I filled another mouse-hole (next to my tub) with steel wool. Still planning trim options and so forth. Cats are behaving today. Five of them are in here. Three are asleep and two are grooming themselves. If my guts start cooperating I'm planning to do some cleaning in the kitchen.

Lentils play a part in detoxing your guts. That's why I ate them for 7 weeks in a row.

I am experiencing a bit of morning nasal congestion. I think it's time to rejuvenate my pillows with a high heat dryer cycle. Rejuvenates and eliminates dust mites.

My well water is murky again. If I let it sit in jug for a couple of hours it clears. I have purchased a spin down filter and a sediment filter to hopefully get installed over the weekend.

Last edited:
So.... let's start with the good stuff....

Its installed. It actually wasn't hard to install came with some brackets for ease on installation.... one of the least annoying installations ever..... however:
20221006_165904.jpg

When I took down the old one, I nearly pooped my pants/cried/threw a fit..... none of that was going to fix the PROBLEM:

20221006_150033.jpg

What are those 2 holes you may be asking yourself..... well you see, the old range hood was ventless also.... so I assume that mice came through the opening in the attic, and ATE MY FLIPPING DRYWALL..... A.T.E. I.T. A.L.L.!

SO THEN, I had to figure out what in the world I was going to do..... I looked around the house, trying to find a solution..... how can I cover this stupid hole, because I AM NOT going up in the attic today.... thinking thinking, pick up an aluminum paint tray..... hmmm..... tins snips.... hmmmm.... cut a big square out of it to cover the ventilation and used the left over to cover the holes..... as well as some ducting tape..... I

I AM LIVID!!!20221006_150505.jpg
Paint tray for effect.
I screw some metal screws in a few places and filled the paint tray with big gap filler in a circle prior to screwing it together.

Now, I am going to worry about the effects of doing that. The fan works on the vent hood, but I forgot to buy an appliance bulb, so idk if the light works or not... although it is getting electricity.

Its not a perfect fit since it was so banged up, but I did only pay $40 for it instead of $130, so I am ok with it.

20221006_152912.jpg

I took me 3 hours, which was unnecessary, but I did have a bunch of obstacles. I was going to change the outlet to the left of the stove, but whoever wired it punched the wires through the back and I couldn't get them undone, so I just left it for a different day. I was planning to try to install a ceiling fan in the dining room today, but I used up all my energy messing with fixing that cluster of a mess!

The moral of the story is..... don't own too much stuff! And.... don't try to fix someone's elses life problems but letting your property be taken over with there stuff.... I am so very sick of mice, mice poop and the thoughts of it all.

I also pulled the linoleum up to get a better look at the floor in front of the slider. I filled that in with gap filler for now to keep mice out of there also. That linoleum looks muddy.... lol, I promise it isnt.

20221006_143626.jpg

My kitchen is an absolute mess now, so I am going to run to Wendy's (for dinner) and kroger (for an appliance bulb).

I'm relaxing for the rest of the evening I think. I did get some HUGE holes filled under the sink (plumber made a huge hole) and behind the stove, so hopefully that will help keep mice out, especially with so much stuff gone. I did put some bait under my sink and behind my stove.... I pray that my dogs don't try to catch a rogue mouse after it has dinner there.

Hope everyone has a blessed evening, as aggravated as I am... I have had a blessed day!

Last edited:
Thanks, Redneck. I'm feeling a bit better. Still run down.
Shan, that is a hot mess & I would be aggravated about that too. If you don't have cats, Mice supposedly hate peppermint oil. I've been told that steel wool will keep them out of places too. They sell special spray foam that is supposed to repel bugs & mice.

I got up and did some cleaning in the kitchen (nothing major), went to the store for groceries, picked up cow feed, fed the cows, put away groceries, sauteed some mushrooms, cooked some rice, cleaned in my bathroom. Found some stains I hadn't noticed before. Trying a new approach with vinegar and less baking soda. Put saran wrap over it to seal it in. I'll give it at least 24hrs.

The toilet flanges I ordered from E-bay arrived today. That was fast. Got an e-mail from Cyberpowerpc saying they received the laptop. They've had it since the 29th of Sept but just logged it in to their system.

I was going to say something but got distracted because the forum was down.

I've tried the Flonase stuff but it doesn't help.

I'm about to take a nap.

Ford is raising the price of their Electric F-150 again.

Remember when they raised it last time... er.... last month?

Maybe they just want to reignite the conversation about how EV's will never work... Unless they create Rivers all over the place, Build Dams, and find a bunch of Water out of thin air...

Side note... I didn't know AOL still existed...

https://www.aol.com/finance/ford-hikes-price-f-150-193451980-122618383.html

Last edited:
Good job, Shan... Just wondering though, is there a reason you didn't put a Microwave there and take advantage of the vent?

Shan, that's crazy, but nice job doing an emergency patch. Very resourceful. Hope you get your kitchen back to normal soon.

I wish I had a proper vent in my kitchen, for either a hood or just the microwave. I never understood the point of just sucking up smoke and blowing it back into the kitchen. Oh well. It's what I've always had to do. I try not to let things get smoky in the first place, though sometimes it's impossible to avoid, like when pan-searing.

Today I made a rather elaborate middle-eastern style meal: hummus from scratch, tabouli from scratch, beef kofte kebab, and chicken shishtawook. (If I'm going to grill one thing, I usually come up with at least one other thing to grill too.) It was extraordinarily delicious, to where I was still groaning about how tasty it was hours later. The tabouli stole the show, it was probably the best I've ever made. My wife said the hummus was the best I ever made, though I'm not sure. I didn't serve the hummus with pita because my wife's watching carbs but we just dolloped it onto our plates and mixed everything together. Very tasty.

I think we're probably just in the growing pains of EVs. It's an old technology in absolute terms (electric cars have been around for...what, at least 150 years? way more?), but its popularity is recent thanks to some recent revolutions in battery tech, maybe combined with gas prices that don't look like they're going to go back down ever. But a lot of kinks are still being worked out. The people buying Teslas and Lightnings and Rivians and so forth are basically subsidizing R&D, which needs economies of scale, and in a few years/decades I expect EVs will emerge dominant.

So, no hate either to people who've lined up to be guinea pigs, but also none to people who aren't excited about it. I'm personally in the latter category. I like being able to work on my car, and I like a manual transmission.

Back