What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Morning Everyone...
@shan2themax haven't forgotten your recipe... Just gotta time it right with the wife to sit down and get the recipe to post here for you... I will get it very soon for you...

Not a lot planned for today, probably relax, I know my pup Carl is sound asleep on the couch, now that we drove Fisher home yesterday... Stopped in to see the Brother-in-law after his gallbladder surgery... He's doing 100% better than I thought he would be doing... the Very first time in the hospital for surgery... he's doing GREAT...

Other than that, and driving 245km yesterday... I think today will be a relaxing mode... I have lots of little jobs I can work on today... We will see...

Anyhow, I hope YOU all have a GREAT day...
Cheers~

We do a wreath on the door, the fake tree in the living room, stockings over the fireplace, and that's it. Always after Thanksgiving. I don't get why people put their decorations up so early. Why wait until Halloween then?
two reasons we decorate early…

1. The lights counteract the lack of daylight due to the short days thereby reducing Seasonal Affective disorder (SAD as a type of depression in which “people experience feelings of sadness and low energy, especially around the winter months when the days are the shortest)

2. And most importantly, It makes Ruby happy.

Those are two really good reasons to decorate right after the time change. Halloween has it’s own decorations … you don’t want Christmas up then.

two reasons we decorate early…

1. The lights counteract the lack of daylight due to the short days thereby reducing Seasonal Affective disorder (SAD as a type of depression in which “people experience feelings of sadness and low energy, especially around the winter months when the days are the shortest)

2. And most importantly, It makes Ruby happy.

Those are two really good reasons to decorate right after the time change. Halloween has it’s own decorations … you don’t want Christmas up then.
My wife and I used to drive around neighborhoods enjoying the view of Christmas lights. However, 5 hrs 17 min is too far to drive so thanks for posting.

Vet was closed yesterday so we took Namir in this morning. He had gotten worse overnight. They said to leave him with them for about an hour while we ran some errands and to check back later. Got a call that he'd started having seizures, had swelling inside his head and there was nothing they could do for him. Shipped the Grogu to my sister, grabbed groceries, skipped breakfast and went in to pay them The $140 for the exam, euthanasia, and internment. My brother is devastated. That cat was his baby. He was hugging one of the other cats and sobbing into her fur when we got home. With this vet, even if we had taken him in sooner I think the result would have been the same. They weren't willing to try any treatment because he was biting while having seizures and they were worried he'd bite someone. I can understand that, but it still sucks. So we are down to 14 cats now. :-( I wish I'd known he was that bad bc I would have said goodbye before we left him there.

I never heard of Christmas lights doing much for SAD. I thought you needed special high temperature lights to treat it.

I enjoyed seeing Christmas lights as a kid. Back then I also used to care about which baseball and hockey teams were winning, and which movies were coming out. I drank a lot of cola then too. Ha, I became less like an American the longer I lived here!

Last edited:
I don't get why people put their decorations up so early.
There are 2 reasons to put up decorations early, weather and whether. If you hit a decent window in the weather it's nice to put up (or take down) decorations when it's not stupid cold or crappy out. The second reason is, as Ron indicated, whether your wife will be happy you did. Simple. We only do a little bit of decorating. We're back in the woods so nobody can really see the lights but us and when people come over. Even if they are up early we don't turn them on until after Thanksgiving. We do have some lights in a couple trees by the pond that come on at night all year. My wife likes them soooo....

I kinda miss going into the stores and malls around Christmas time. Young Israelis would be working the kiosks and I would carry my shofar as a conversation starter. They would always ask if I knew the four calls. People would stop and watch as I sounded the calls. One Israeli asked if knew the blessings. I said them in Hebrew and my wife said "He didn't get them right, did he?" The Israeli replied, "Yes, with a southern accent", and we all had a good laugh.

I wish one could get international street foods in the malls such as Ethiopian injera and wat.

Kinda gloomy today so I popped some corn and am reading. I timed the popping 2:10. Another plus, the poppers is flexible and easy to tuck into my side so I just eat out of the popper.

Last edited:
The second reason is, as Ron indicated, whether your wife will be happy you did.
This just kicks the question back to why your wife wants decorations up early.

I would carry my shofar as a conversation starter.
I have to admit, that would probably get me to start one with you too.

People would stop and watch as I sounded the calls. One Israeli asked if knew the blessings. I said them in Hebrew and my wife said "He didn't get them right, did he?" The Israeli replied, "Yes, with a southern accent", and we all had a good laugh.
Ha, that's great.

A neglected can of sliced pineapple blew its pop top. I was looking for a can of broth on a base cabinet lazy susan in the utility room when I saw a can with the pop top fully opened. I picked the can up it looked empty but had dessicated pineapple slices in the bottom. No telling how long ago the event occured.

I was an honor guard bugler and somewhat of a trumpet player. The shofar was a bit more difficult but I heard the four calls when the Promise Keepers had their event at the Washington Mall in 1997. Nowadays you can find the shofar calls on youtube. The blessings came from a TV program called Jewish Jewels via a couple of friends.

I bet the shofar would sound good over Ron's lake.

Vet was closed yesterday so we took Namir in this morning. He had gotten worse overnight. They said to leave him with them for about an hour while we ran some errands and to check back later. Got a call that he'd started having seizures, had swelling inside his head and there was nothing they could do for him. Shipped the Grogu to my sister, grabbed groceries, skipped breakfast and went in to pay them The $140 for the exam, euthanasia, and internment. My brother is devastated. That cat was his baby. He was hugging one of the other cats and sobbing into her fur when we got home. With this vet, even if we had taken him in sooner I think the result would have been the same. They weren't willing to try any treatment because he was biting while having seizures and they were worried he'd bite someone. I can understand that, but it still sucks. So we are down to 14 cats now. :-( I wish I'd known he was that bad bc I would have said goodbye before we left him there.
@zannej, I am so sorry for your loss... losing any pet can be heart-wrenching... Something I can't handle too much anymore... Thoughts are with YOU!!!

Not a lot was done yesterday... Starting to have some of those symptoms again... Another sleepless night...

Well, we got our first snowstorm today, suppose to get about 5 inches... Yahoo... NOT...
Going to the dump this morning... That's about all I have to do...

But first I am going to try and get some sleep... I feel exhausted...

Have a GREAT day all...
Cheers~

I think the sheet metal and carcass will be given away for free on Craigslist
Do you have a Steel recycling center locally that pays? You might be able to save it and take a truckload to get some cash. The local joint here takes everything metal based on the commodities market prices. I haven't done it because I haven't saved up enough to do it, but I think about it every time I have a bad worn out nail or screw in my hand...

This just kicks the question back to why your wife wants decorations up early.
I took me way too long to realize this but it is much easier and way more satisfying to do little things that make Ruby happy rather than question or "discuss" them. You could say that I have "given in," but I'd say, I want to have a happy life for me and Ruby. I've found that most of her ideas and desires are good ones. I like the result of the decorations too. Light is good.

IMG_3061(1).jpg

Spicoli, I'm having the same problem sticking to the diet and cutting back on stuff I know I shouldn't eat. I make the mistake of shopping while hungry and buy stuff I want to eat right then. Shopped with my brother and got donuts and regretted it. I have been eating more salad though but I don't think it balances out.
I have never heard anybody report that "Salad" worked in any way shape or form for dieting. For me, it's about the most boring thing I have ever eaten. I'm going to do a cavity healing diet soon, which includes a lot of greens, but I'm hoping to get away with only Broccoli, as I can eat that everyday... Kale, no bleeping way...

Last edited:
No argument against making your wife happy, Ron. I do what I can to make my wife happy and would encourage others to do the same. But if my wife wanted Christmas decorations to go up while Halloween was barely over, I would indeed ask why she has that preference because to my mind it is bizarre, and there's even something slightly pathological about it that I can't quite put my finger on.

Of course at the end of the day it's all opinions and taste; if someone wants to just keep their house decorated like Christmas year-round that's their right, and equally defensible. I do think about energy waste (not just electricity to light things up but also human calories lugging stuff around), but that's its own thing.
Do you have a Steel recycling center locally that pays? You might be able to save it and take a truckload to get some cash. The local joint here takes everything metal based on the commodities market prices. I haven't done it because I haven't saved up enough to do it, but I think about it every time I have a bad worn out nail or screw in my hand...
I'm sure there's one in my metro region, but I have no idea how close it is and doubt it'd be worth the trip just for the contents of one microwave. I don't have dollar signs in my eyes...if the stuff isn't gone by recycling day I'll just put it on the curb.

Vet was closed yesterday so we took Namir in this morning. He had gotten worse overnight. They said to leave him with them for about an hour while we ran some errands and to check back later. Got a call that he'd started having seizures, had swelling inside his head and there was nothing they could do for him.
It's sad....Ruby had 8 outdoor cats 2 years ago. She feeds them out on the patio and they have beds there. Outdoor cats don't last long around here. The rational was that they keep the mice out of the house...which they do! Out of the 8, only 3 are left but it looks like maybe a black cat has adopted us. They were just kittens in this picture.

IMG_9182.jpg
We also have two Pitties we are fostering until we can find them a forever home.

IMG_1995.jpg
They are big love bugs! And of course, our 3 dogs...

IMG_3071.jpg

Latest posts

Back