What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But if my wife wanted Christmas decorations to go up while Halloween was barely over, I would indeed ask why she has that preference because to my mind it is bizarre, and there's even something slightly pathological about it that I can't quite put my finger on.
Putting up Christmas decorations less than two weeks before Thanksgiving is bizarre and pathological? You realize Thanksgiving is only a week from tomorrow? You may be too rigid on your timelines. Whoever made the rule that you can't put up decorations until Nov 25th is a fun sucking Grinch. There are a lot of things going on these days that is Bizarre and Pathological but putting up decorations doesn't cross the line for me.

As long as it's good and not evil, I say, go with the flow...especially when the flow brings happiness to others.

Last year, more than one neighbor told me they really liked the decorations in the yard. Especially when the sun sets at 16:37 tonight and doesn't come up until 06:48

I took me way too long to realize this but it is much easier and way more satisfying to do little things that make Ruby happy rather than question or "discuss" them. You could say that I have "given in," but I'd say, I want to have a happy life for me and Ruby. I've found that most of her ideas and desires are good ones. I like the result of the decorations too. Light is good.
Now that my wife has passed how I miss doing doing those little things that made her happy. My DIL likes to decorate and she can't wait for one holiday to end so she can prepare for another. True love is not paint by the numbers.

As for wasting calories my wife once asked me why I was making so many trips bringing groceries in. I said it ensures that I don't drop and break anything or fall plus it burns calories w/o going to the gym.

Prolly my best gift to my wife was that I didn't make her a football widow we spent our holidays together.

Now that my wife has passed how I miss doing doing those little things that made her happy. My DIL likes to decorate and she can't wait for one holiday to end so she can prepare for another. True love is not paint by the numbers.

Prolly my best gift to my wife was that I didn't make her a football widow we spent our holidays together.
Eddie, I'm sorry to hear about your wife...I can't even imagine that. It makes me want to put more decorations up!

Yeah, that is rough. I'm sorry to hear this Eddie.

As I get older, I wonder what life would be like if "she" wasn't in my life.

Shan, 45-55? Dang girl, you going for the "young stuff"

Can you say "cougar", or is it, as mine would describe as a "saber tooth tiger?"

As for wasting calories my wife once asked me why I was making so many trips bringing groceries in. I said it ensures that I don't drop and break anything or fall plus it burns calories w/o going to the gym.
As far as weight loss, I know everyone is different and some lose weight easier than other so my experience may not relate to anyone other than me, but... Here's the picture that caused me to get serious about weight loss. It was taken in 2014 or maybe 2015.

IMG_1862 - Copy.JPG
I am 6 feet tall but have a slim frame. 207 pounds doesn't look good on me. I bought a 6 pack of Slim Fast and it said this on the label.

1668615279945.png
A 500 cal meal plus two 180 cal meals plus three 100 cal snacks equal 1160 cals. A person actually needs more than that. I shot for 1600 - 1800/day. a woman would be less. I followed this plan using a calorie counter on my phone and lost 60 pounds in around a year. Ruby asked me to gain some weight back because she is borderline Bizarre and Pathological (just kidding) and I am still minus 35 pounds today.

For me the secret was having a snack available and handy that is low cal like Orville Redenbacher's smart pop individual 120cal bags (It only takes 1 1/2 minutes to pop one of these in my micro).

Or a Fuji apple cut into slices (100cal). I think slicing it makes the snack more purposeful and enjoyable.

Pickles and olives are very low cal. Sliced and put into a special small bowl as a snack.

I discovered through the process that I will never have the body that I want but I have the body God gave me. Losing weight makes everything easier.

BTW. when comparing exercise and diet....diet has way more effect on weight loss than exercise.

Some pickles burn more calories than they contain. Unfortunately my favorite pickle is sweet hots which are 33 cal per two chunks but maybe in moderation. Tony Packo's is too expensive but should be easy to DIY. I have been tossing other pickles into the jar with good result.
1668617084505.png

I have a neighbor who has had their Christmas tree up for about 3 or 4 years now. I asked her why once and she said it was too much work putting it away and getting it out so ahe decided to just leave it up. Whatever.

Had an MRI on my back today so I hope they can figure something out. It is better though. Walked a couple of miles yesterday for the first time. Even jogged a little. I was running 8-10 miles a week until about 6 weeks ago. Had to pay for the MRI myself since the insurance company would not approve it. I have a high deductible policy so I was going to pay it either way but it would at least go towards my deductible. I'm sure the insurance company knows what I need more than my doctor does.

Tony Packo's is too expensive but should be easy to DIY.
Tony Packo's is, of course, from here in Toledo and made kinda famous by Max Klinger/Jamie Farr in M*A*S*H TV show. My uncle who died in a car accident in 1954 was a friend of Tony. Haven't been in Tony Packos restaurants for a while but they are pricey. Years ago a Hungarian Hot Dog in a bun was $3.50 and the sausage link was sliced in half lengthwise and so you only got 1/2 of it for that price. Most local people don't even know the original Tony Packo's that Jamie Farr (Jameel Farrah) went to was in downtown Toledo and has been long gone for decades. Most think of the big Tony Packo's in the Hungarian neighborhood of East Toledo now where famous (Hungarian) singer Teresa Brewer (Breuer) grew up . They have also added about 4 smaller ones now including one back in downtown across street from Mud Hens Baseball Stadium (also mentioned on TV by Max Klinger).
BTW, it was proven long ago that any food that tastes good has more calories than it takes to eat them... celery was the usual example...
Salads work for dieting because they fill your stomach with roughage so that you know you ate 'something' and your stomach is 'satisfied' for a while... of course, you can add meats, cheeses, veggies, and salad dressing for a 'chef's salad' for more flavor... but you have to be careful not to add too many calories in the process...
Adding weight usually took a long time and losing it takes just as long... or longer... unless you go on a dangerous crash diet...
I figure the best way to keep weight down is to keep busy doing things... it takes your mind off food, gives exercise, burns calories, and GETS THINGS DONE!
We tend to snack watching TV or being on the 'puter...

Last edited:
I think the Tony Packo's pickles run 8-12 dollars per jar. They were gifted to me so I don't know the price, but they were good.

Last edited:
No.... could you formulate a list of men 45-55 who feel the same and send them my way? 🤣🤪🤣🤪🤣🤪🤣🤪. (There are other requirements, but this is a start lol)
You could try the largest free dating site in the world, larger than all the pay ones combined, it's at PoF dot com... (I'm on there under the same name... but I'm 74)

I have a neighbor who has had their Christmas tree up for about 3 or 4 years now.

Had an MRI on my back today so I hope they can figure something out. Had to pay for the MRI myself since the insurance company would not approve it. I'm sure the insurance company knows what I need more than my doctor does.
One year I left my Xmas tree up until September... just got used to seeing it and didn't take it down... can't remember now if I then took it down or just gave up and left it up for Xmas that year... I now keep the tree fully decorated in large garbage bags, so it's quick to put up or take down... it has a string of popcorn on it that a tenant strung for it in about 1982... popcorn lasts an amazingly long time... There are year around Xmas shops here and there... one locally here... one of most famous in tourist town Frankenmuth, Michigan...
You may need a different health insurer, unless tied into one by a job... I'm fortunate to get MRI's, X-rays, and most other such free via VA... and my new Medicare provider pays for dental including tooth implants(which are wonderful. like real teeth)...

Latest posts

Back