What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I referred to onions as a super food for health I forgot that there is a world of powdered foods out there called superfoods. I don't do any powdered foods. I eat for enjoyment first and nutrition second. Onions seem to fit both for me. I will slice some later to eat with a little salt or maybe blue cheese dip.

I picked up a small pkg of boneless beef ribs that were marbled nicely. I will get several meals of steak and eggs using them. I noticed on youtube raw onion rings being used to contain eggs when fried. I am not sure I would like that but it would make flipping with a spatula easier.

I was just seasoning one of my cast iron skillets today (my 12", not the 9") so it's funny you mention it. Pretty sure it's made in the USA but I haven't checked.

DD = dirty dishes? Due diligence? Double inDemnity? Dunkin donuts? Dastardly deeds?

Eddie that onion egg trick sounds neat, I'll have to try that if I ever have an onion big enough.

I was just seasoning one of my cast iron skillets today (my 12", not the 9") so it's funny you mention it. Pretty sure it's made in the USA but I haven't checked.

DD = dirty dishes? Due diligence? Double inDemnity? Dunkin donuts? Dastardly deeds?

Eddie that onion egg trick sounds neat, I'll have to try that if I ever have an onion big enough.
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap while Doing Due Diligence.

Looks like a Strat-style Cort that gets plugged into...is that an amp head on the floor under the desk with no cabinet??
Yeah, that’s my practice guitar. I play acoustic at church but this guitar makes less noise and I can use headphones. The amp head is actually a Spark amp. It has a little speaker in it but I run it through the sound board on the desk and then through headphones. They were all the rage for a nanosecond.

See here

442E2BBD-D845-4F59-A68C-99B7D5625EC6.jpeg

Nice Ron, I saw the mixer on the desk and figured it was for recording.

My new buddy who moved into the house behind me is a drummer and we're supposed to jam tomorrow for the first time. I am very excited...

Here's a webinar, about an Hour and a Half from an Ayurvedic Doctor that's also an expert in Traditional Chinese Medicine. He talks about Teas and Supplements to help lung health as well as how to knock out a Cold / Flu in a day.

Some of you remember the 7 week Detox I did that completely healed my 22 year gut problems the first week of the program. This is the same Doctor. It's well worth your time to listen to it and to stock up on specific teas / supplements.

Of course, you have to figure out if there is interactions with any drugs you take.

You want to watch this, even if it takes a few days. If you don't and you are in day 5 of a Cold / Flu later this season, you will remember reading this!

https://go.internationalintegrative.com/holistic-help-for-healthy-lungs-video/

Some of the facelift slab door covers are interesting.
View attachment 29269
I wish I would have known about these 5 years ago when I changed out 6 interior doors from flat hollow core doors to raised panel doors. I had to buy a template for the hinge mortises and the door knobs and all that.

Nice Ron, I saw the mixer on the desk and figured it was for recording.

My new buddy who moved into the house behind me is a drummer and we're supposed to jam tomorrow for the first time. I am very excited...
What do you play?

Yes, the mixer was for recording. In my old house, I had a studio setup that was pretty nice. I have an Alesis HD24 recorder which is a digital hard drive recorder. But mostly I just used a 16 channel analog to Digital interface into a computer running Sonar to record. I recorded a song once that ended up having 52 tracks and Sonar handled it really well.

The band I used to be in used In-ear monitors with Aviom interfaces to control the mix on stage, which worked really well. We also used an Aviom analog to digital converter on stage to send 16 channels of sound via a digital snake to the sound board. Being a traveling band, it was nice to have a cat5 (or cat-6 now) cable rather than a big snake but 16 channels is very limiting especially when you consider the drums have 8 (or more) channels alone. So we "Pre-Mixed" the drums on stage with a small mixer and sent the mix as 2 channels to the board. Later we switched to Roland V drums (electronic) which made life easier in many ways. V Drums have a stereo signal needing only 2 channels and the volume is easier to control in smaller venues. Normally, the drums set the volume of the rest of the instruments. However loud your drummer is, that's how loud your instruments have to be. I can't tell you how many times someone would ask us to turn down the volume a little. Asking a drummer to play quieter (softer) never works. The V drums sound really good but a lot of drummers won't use them. I don't know why...I'm not a drummer but Roland says their mesh head drums feel like regular drums and they sound better amplified than real drums with mics. Here's a link to a video with my old band and the V Drums

HERE

The church I play at now uses an app on your iPhone (m32-Q) to control the mix for your in-ears. They are pretty progressive. They use a click track and prompts. It's what all the pros do these days. What that means is, you better be able to play your instrument without thinking about it much because there's a lot of stuff going on.

Last edited:
I hand pick my lumber at Lowes. I think the last time I purchased a couple of whitewood studs I had maybe 20 lying in the floor just to find two that were acceptable.
It seems Lowes has different qualities of 2x4s. One pile is sketchy but cheap. The next pile is better but more expensive. Use the cheap ones for temporary braces, etc, and the more expensive for building stuff that matters.

I got a little done on the flooring in the landing project. I bought some baseboard at Lowes last night because the old baseboard is not salvageable. I’m going to paint it today even though it’s supposed to rain and then install the pieces that go behind the curio cabinet so we can move the cabinet back into place. Then I can finish the space.

5476C0F8-F493-4683-BE14-A3CFC46B21AC.jpeg

A friend gave me several bottles of tart cherry to try for hip pain. Her hubby tried it for gout and it didn't help him. I don't know why he didn't keep taking it at least til he used it up. It's a good antioxidant.

She also mentioned a product called DermaWound saying that it's pretty close to a miracle for fast healing her hubby's diabetic foot ulcers. I think it's based on sugardine.

I got a little done on the flooring in the landing project. I bought some baseboard at Lowes last night because the old baseboard is not salvageable. I’m going to paint it today even though it’s supposed to rain and then install the pieces that go behind the curio cabinet so we can move the cabinet back into place. Then I can finish the space.
Do you have to level the tile grout to prevent print through or is the LVP thick enough not to print?

Here's a link to a video with my old band and the V Drums

HERE
Hah, I love that song. Was a it a coincidence half the band was wearing football jerseys, or was this for some kind of tailgating event or something?

I play guitar, bass, and some other instruments but generally when I'm jamming with people I'm playing guitar.

Do you have to level the tile grout to prevent print through or is the LVP thick enough not to print?
Here's what the manufacturer says:

ADURA®Max can also be installed over most existing hard surface floor coverings provided that the existing floor surface can be made smooth.
• Ceramic tile should be made smooth by applying a cementitious overlay such as patching or leveling compound (filling grout lines not required).
• Existing grout lines can be laid over.
• Existing floors should be non-cushioned, fully adhered and not exceed one layer in thickness.
• Do not install over carpet. • Floor should be flat, smooth, dimensionally sound and free from deflection.

In the beginning, I was filling in the grout lines and filling in anywhere there was tile lippage. I did the kitchen, dining room and desk area 8 months ago and it still looks good.

When I did the Livingroom, I did very little leveling because the tile was pretty good in that room and I decided not to fill the grout lines. So far so good. I did the living room 3 months ago and it looks good.

The area I'm doing now needed some leveling but I didn't fill all the grout lines. I think it will be okay because there is very little traffic in that area. It is the hallway leading to my mother in laws area.

The Mannington Adura Max planks are 8mm thick with a 1mm pad attached. The wear surface is 20mil. It's supposed to be pretty good LVP.

Flyover, the meat sounds good. We eat less beef with prices so high. Good thing I like pork chops and love chicken. Although, even chicken has been going higher.

Shan, that is very sad about the co-worker's house burning down. Also sorry you got screwed out of $5k by a contractor.

Ron, flooring is looking good! I like the stair treads. Adorable doggies. I have some doors with the glass panes like that.

Spicoli, it is so frustrating trying to find lumber that isn't bent or cut crooked. Apparently nowadays people need some sort of jointer to square up boards because quality control has dropped. One good thing with Lowes is if you find some gouges on boards and stuff you can sometimes negotiate a lower price. James Cameron is a jerk. I still remember footage of him years ago of him violently grabbing his (now ex) wife, Linda Hamilton, by the arm and trying to forcibly drag her away at some public event. I know a lot of cast and crew have said he's a nightmare to work with.

Eddie, other than color I don't know the differences in onions- but then I can't eat them so I just avoid them. I've got some cast iron skillets but can't use them bc my arms/wrists are weak. I can barely lift the aluminium ones with stainless steel on the bottoms. LOL. Mom was looking at some pots online that weighed like 12lbs and I told her no way in hell would I be able to lift one that was full without hurting myself.

My brother is still feeling dizzy & not up to helping out with anything. He griped that he couldn't get over the old microwave that I set on the floor to put in the new one but wasn't willing to help me move it. Said it was in his way & he couldn't do laundry. I've been stepping over it to get to the laundry room, but I think he wanted an excuse. I tried picking it up, but left arm wouldn't cooperate. I ended up grabbing it by the cord and dragging it across the floor. Bethesda hopped on for a ride but was too heavy so I had to push her off. She chased after it as I dragged it to the double doors. I lifted it up onto a bin and hope they don't knock it down. But I couldn't get it any further than that for now without hurting myself.

Been hot the last few nights and I keep waking up drenched in sweat. Still no callback from AC guy. Gonna have to call again.

Rupert has decided that I'm his best friend (or maybe just buttwarmer) so he's sitting on me right now. The other night he kept reaching up for my brother to pet him. So my brother picked him up, rolled him on his back, and held him like a baby. I could hear him purring from across the room.

My shoulder & arm are still giving me grief. Feels like I pulled a muscle. Anytime I tense up at all, my whole bicep starts throbbing like I'm having a charlie horse. I keep doing the exercises for the shoulder and hoping the arm will mend too.

Need to get some more stuff from Walmart at some point, but might not be until later today or even tomorrow. My brother's boss has taken him off the work schedule until he's recovered enough to go back-- fortunately, they are being very understanding with him having to miss so much while recovering. Not many places like that these days. There was a report that of all the top thefts going on in the country, the theft of wages committed by corporations is more than the rest combined. $15million in wage theft annually.

Meanwhile, I think I've found an acceptable shower surround for my bathtub. I've got a flangeless cast iron tub and plan to put up either cementboard or purple drywall and then have a glue-up surround over it. I'm thinking of using instatrim in some of the corners, getting a tension rod shelf thingy for one side, and I already have a grab bar corner shelf for one corner. Might trim out the top with waterproof chair rail strips. I'm thinking of adding aluminium L stock as a sort of flange on the hidden edges of the tub to direct water into the tub should any water somehow get behind, but also want to do some Instatrim or something along the perimeter. I will probably post about this in one of my threads....

I'm getting ready to re-caulk the shower in my master bathroom. It's got tile walls with a resin or some kind of plastic basin (I don't know if that's what you call it...the part you stand on, with the drain in the middle). The existing caulk has a lot of black stuff, presumably mold, and I figure it's probably time to redo it. I haven't looked but assume caulk requires 24 hours to cure or something, so I'm trying to figure out when it will be least inconvenient. Otherwise I figure this is simply a matter of scraping off the old stuff as best I can, cleaning, and re-applying?

Back