What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The quiche was a bit bland so I topped the portions I ate with pancake syrup. What's left for later will be topped with Mexican salsa.
A woman from church gave us two quiches but since our son and DIL's flight was canceled today, Ruby froze the quiche and we will revive it on Wednesday when they finally can get here. The airlines are a mess right now.

We are going to have two Christmases, one tomorrow with my BIL's family and another on Wednesday when our son gets here.

I am on the mend. I NEVER want to experience that again. I was positive again at day 5. Looking back at day 5, I should not have driven myself to the testing center. I mean, I was fully awake and oriented, but I also wasn't.... if that makes sense. My brain definitely wasn't working at capacity.

I am thankful for alot this Christmas, but especially Thankful that my mom passed prior to me getting Covid. I still don't know where I got it. I guess I never will.
I definitely don't want it again though.

I hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas!!! Stay healthy.

I am on the mend. I NEVER want to experience that again. I was positive again at day 5. Looking back at day 5, I should not have driven myself to the testing center. I mean, I was fully awake and oriented, but I also wasn't.... if that makes sense. My brain definitely wasn't working at capacity.

I am thankful for alot this Christmas, but especially Thankful that my mom passed prior to me getting Covid. I still don't know where I got it. I guess I never will.

Was this your first bout with Covid? It seems the first is the worst, then it’s like a cold the second time…at least that’s my experience.

Hope everyone is feeling well today.

Insurance in my state is very high. It's almost $1k for six months for two vehicles. The rates keep going up even though the vehicles are depreciating. The thing insurance companies don't like their customers (or the commissioners of insurance) to know is that they put the $ away in high interest bank accounts and are making tons of $$$$ in their savings and such. And the commissioners are not allowed to consider the reserve profits in the banks when assessing whether or not its ok to raise premiums. So, they are rolling in $ but claiming poverty to get $ from the government and raise premiums.

Truck was a little over $1k total for the "fix". Except, the wheel is still squealing like there's a bad bearing. They also didn't deal with the "check emissions" message that I asked them to look at. They did mark on the diagnostic that something with the engine needs "critical" repair and timing belt is critical but they didn't say it to me verbally. I'm a bit miffed about it, but its the only Honda place within 100 miles. This state has very high income taxes on lower income brackets & middle class, very low taxes for millionaires, asininely high sales tax, not sure on property taxes, and then the high insurance rates. Medical costs are very high but the care is substandard.

I was flossing my teeth when a chunk of tooth broke off last night. Guess I'll be having to setup a dental appointment to make sure it doesn't get infected.

The only outside hosebib left (feeding the automatic water trough for the cows) ruptured when it got down below 20°. Some of the insulation had been torn off & it is the one thing that does not have a shutoff. The shutoffs in the pump house are jammed. None of the cold weather PVC cement is available in the area and the stuff they sell won't work under something like 45°F but it didn't get above 38° yesterday. I'd shut off the pumps at the breaker to stop the leaking pipe and went to get repair supplies. The cap to the PVC cement did not want to come off and I could no find my adjustable wrenches anywhere. Brother couldn't get it off either. I finally found a rubber work glove and got it loose. But water kept coming out of the pipe when I was trying to put the glue on to attach a shutoff valve to the hosebib pipe. I had that problem before and the only way to stop it is to shut off the main waterline. But, as I mentioned before, shutoffs were jammed and wouldn't turn. I lost my balance and fell on the pipes & broke them. Broke from below the tee to the pressure tank, just before the tee to the outside areas, and under the ground where it goes to the house.

I made a run to HD (as local hardware stores were already closed) to get repair parts. One problem I have is that dirt fell into the pipe underground so I will have to figure out how to get it out. No working outlets to plug in a shopvac in there & I don't have an extension cord long enough to run to an inside outlet. By the time I got home, it was already too cold to use the PVC cement and banged my shoulder into something so my arm isn't cooperating. I'll have to hope it warms up enough tomorrow to fix it.

Meanwhile, my best friend's shower valve froze over and something inside it broke. He had heaters running in the bathroom but somehow the valve froze. He may need a new valve.

But, we're still alive and he made his ex get ALL of her crap out of his house today & told her she's not welcome back ever. She doesn't know he has a new gf already.

@zannej This Arctic blast is bad and it is a terrible time to have things go wrong. Especially since it’s Christmas! I have had multiple problems too but you just have to plug away and handle the problems. I pray you can get your water back on soon!

The timing belt is critical. Most belts call for replacement at or before 100k miles. If it gives up, there likely will be major damage since most engines these days are made with an interference fit, meaning the piston will strike the valves if they are out of time. If that happens, your Honda will be toast. I replaced one on my youngest son’s Mitsubishi. It wasn’t hard but I’d consider it a mid level repair job.

Good to see you're over it, Shan... Not to make light of your suffering, but you MUST remember you can knock any viral infection out in a couple of days max with huge amounts of Vitamin C...

8 grams a day at the first hint of symptoms, and you won't have a day 3. It's virtually guaranteed. It's Orthomolecular Science.

http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n04.shtml
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BulkSupp...owder-1g-Immunity-Booster-250-Grams/591905143

Hope you get your plumbing issues fixed, Z... Hope your tooth is saved as well.

As far as Millionaires, I don't get the low taxes part, and I don't get how you aren't one with 18 Cats, 6 Dogs, 6 Cows, 14 Chickens, 13 Parrots, 6 Oxen, 13 Horses and 15 Lizards!

Hope you get your plumbing issues fixed, Z... Hope your tooth is saved as well.

As far as Millionaires, I don't get the low taxes part, and I don't get how you aren't one with 18 Cats, 6 Dogs, 6 Cows, 14 Chickens, 13 Parrots, 6 Oxen, 13 Horses and 15 Lizards!
· · · and a partridge in a pear tree.

Made a batch of Chocolate, around 4 lbs. probably. I think this recipe will end up being 3 Gallon sized Ziplocks because I added so much stuff to it... I like to keep it around 65% because I don't use straight up Sugar. I could increase it to 75% Dark if I used Sugar, but I don't think that would work with the Fruit Sugars. The variable is Maple, first time using it.

65% MAPLE VANILLA COFFEE MILK

CACAO, CACAO BUTTER, CASHEWS, COCONUT MILK, COFFEE, CRANBERRIES, DATES, HEMPSEEDS, MAPLE SYRUP, PUMPKIN SEEDS, RAISINS, SEA SALT, VANILLA, WALNUTS

ALL ORGANIC

PRODUCED IN A FACTORY THAT PRODUCES OTHER STUFF

I put in 50g of Maple to start, but after 4 Hours I couldn't distinguish it, so added another 50g. I haven't tested it since, so I don't know how good it turned out. The refining process filled the room with Vanilla / Maple scents, so I thought it would be all good. I ran the refiner for 24 Hours.

The recipe will be good no matter what because of everything I add, but getting Vanilla Beans is hit and miss, so I will have to find a reliable source if it's something I do moving forward. Everything else is readily available.

Attachments

• CHOCO.JPG
    CHOCO.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
You know you lose all credibility when you quote the Fake Fraud Fauci organization called the NIH, right? They are single handedly responsible for Millions of Covid deaths alone.

"Vaccination is the best protection against getting the flu."... Yeah, NO... Most Covid deaths post vaccine are seen in vaccinated people. That's proven. It isn't a vaccine, it's a Bioweapon.

And from now on, you can die of Massive blood clots because the Covid Death Shot will be included in all Influenza vaccines!!!

They didn't even do trials with the Covid Death Shot, do you seriously think they will do trials with Vitamin C?

Well I had a bizarre and hilarious evening. I told myself I'd stop thinking about it because it'd drive me crazy, but apparently I'm not ready to stop thinking about it yet. Let's just say that 2 months ago I thought I remembered doing one thing but actually did a different thing, such that it made this night a Christmas we will never forget.

(Before you ask: nobody is dead, pregnant, or in jail; it was just a mix-up in some recreation plans that cascaded into a lot of unnecessary driving and dinner in a crappy Chinese buffet instead of as a family around a warm table.)

My shoulder was not cooperating with me at all today. Went out and started trying to dig up the pipe that broke off underground but legs & back gave out on me so I got ahold of my friend. He needed a sitter for the kids so I brought Mom over and he came back with me. Pipe was broken off at a union so he had to lift a large cinderblock that had the holes filled with dirt and move it out of the way and dig all around to be able to attach something. I misjudged bc I only looked at the pipe going in to the pressure tank and didn't realize it reduced to 3/4". I have a ton of 1" fittings and not enough of the 3/4" to reconnect everything. So, for now we only have the house water connected (but the other ones were off). Going to use PEX to hook the other ones up when it isn't so cold. For now the water is running-- although the cistern was very slow to fill. There is a very small drip coming out of a pipe before where my friend fixed stuff, but I suspect it was there before and its minor. I'm using a heating pad on my back to recover a bit before I go out to put insulation on the pipes. It's not at freezing temps yet but I will go out before it gets freezing. At least I had a 3/4" shutoff and I was able to take parts off a broken hose bib line to get the last elbow we needed. Will keep the 1" stuff just in case and will get more 3/4" stuff later.
When I took my friend back home the toddler was fussing so my friend put on some Geoff Castellucci music and he calmed down. Took my friend to grab some food and then waited for his new gf to be back in town. He went to pick her up (she was borrowing her grandmother's car and she dropped it off and he picked her up from there) while we sat with the kids. It was great to see her. She and my friend get along great, she's a great friend, and everyone is so happy for both of them-- and they are happy. I've told her I will go help her get her stuff from her old place whenever she wants-- but she doesn't want conflict with her ex. He already went around lying and saying she cheated on him. But she's happy to be out of that situation now.

I'm exhausted though and hoping to get some sleep soon.

Merry Christmas everyone... I'm all for celebrating the Birth of Little Baby Jesus, but it wasn't in December.
Yes, I think most people agree He was not born in December but I’m glad we celebrate it then because December is a dark month that needs more cheer and more lights. Merry Christmas!

Latest posts

Back