What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... and for light, I am going to put a LED light up pn the wall on near the corner to the ceiling... Think its going to be perfect...
~
I've seen some trick light jobs where you install crown molding, leave it off the ceiling by 1/2", then add a rope light into the void. It casts a great light across the ceiling without any glare at all.

Changed my car's front disc pads today. I'd taken the car to the shop and they said it needed new pads and rotors (which they wanted to charge me like $300-500 for), but today I inspected the rotors and they were fine. And in fact the pads had a lot of life left in them too, but I changed them out for new anyway. Time to find a new repair shop, I'm not going back to that scammy place.
I would stand on the side of the road with a sign saying how they are ripoff artists. Of course they would confront me, in which I would tell them they will get a nice official complaint from the State AG if at any point in the future I send one of my friends in to test their pricing policies. Maybe they will also have a camera.

That's just me though, I have zero patience for con artists. I needed a slave cylinder replaced on a car, and the guy tried telling me I needed a master cylinder (because the hydraulic fluid magically travels all the way down the piping from the master cylinder and appears to leak out at the slave cylinder)... Yeah, okay... Not on a planet with gravity... I threatened the same kind of scenario and he changed his mind like MAGIC!

There was an investigator for one of the major News stations in Seattle that would go out with the cameras and confront ripoff artists. Say someone got scammed by the roofer or whatever, the dude would go talk to them with cameras rolling and just flat out ask them why they ripped off the customer... Kind of like Project Veritas, only they knew they were on camera. The end of the segment always had the guy saying how the business gave the customer back $$$$

Redneck... Never lived near IKEA, but have heard about how fun putting their stuff together is with 18 Million parts for a chair!

As far as printer ink, search for your exact model on Ebay, you can probably find knockoff cartridges for cheap. People make them with 3D printers and they work fine. I have a printer that worked for a decade on Ebay knockoffs, probably still works.

PSA for those that haven't used an "Ink Tank" printer... DON'T... My Canon piece of bleep prints in Pink because I moved the printer from one desk 10 feet away to the other desk and all the ink mixed. It's Canon though, so automatically junk and your choice of brand could have been designed by people with brain cells.
That sounds great, I will look about 1/2 way through these cartridges (about 6 months)... But your way sounds a hell of a lot cheaper... Thanks, Buddy...
Changed my car's front disc pads today. I'd taken the car to the shop and they said it needed new pads and rotors (which they wanted to charge me like $300-500 for), but today I inspected the rotors and they were fine. And in fact the pads had a lot of life left in them too, but I changed them out for new anyway. Time to find a new repair shop, I'm not going back to that scammy place.

I always did my own brakes... It would cost a hell of less... But I treat my truck like my body, I always got two references or inspections, then you know where YOU really stand... Curious, whats do they charge for an hour by a mechanic... The average cost here is $105 an hour...

So HAPPY to be back gals and guys, you always have GREAT ideas... Thank you for that!!

Cheers~

Welcome, Redneck... Here's an example for a printer I have... 4 of each color and 8 Black for $20... An individual Black from Brother is probably $20...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273691840654
Yeah, I am going to check it out for my HP... Cuz this boy will never pay $200 again for $%@# ink... Ever, I'll buy another printer before I pay for that again...Thanks, Buddy!
Cheers~

Well I just looked it up... Might be still a little cheaper going through eBay... it was $65.00 from EBAY... plus $45.00 to deliver...and to convert $110 in American will cost me $147... So I will still save $53.00... Still a way better deal than I already paid... Thanks, Buddy!

Last edited:
There's no suppliers in Canada? While you have the 6 months or so, I would research ink prices on Ebay for other printers like Brother or Epson or whatever and find the matching printer as well. There's no reason the printers and ink should be more expensive there.

On trick uplighting, the owner of my house before me did some strange lights here. Buried below my lower crown molding is (3) 4' fluorescent bulbs. The idea is cool, but the starkness of the light is overwhelming.

Attachments

• 16745129044081739883886370139215.jpg
    16745129044081739883886370139215.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 16745129548042244263069704553116.jpg
    16745129548042244263069704553116.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I tried watching the preview, but that little excerpt was completely loaded with spam, ads, promotional material, and crap.
The free Brave Browser may eliminate all of that... it does on youtube...

Also, the top is already damaged, looks like certain places didn't stain properly in the manufacturing. That said, I don't blame Frigidaire as I have never seen a good smooth top range, and the technology is only 60 years old or so...
That and the price was my reason for always staying away from them...

On trick uplighting, the owner of my house before me did some strange lights here. Buried below my lower crown molding is (3) 4' fluorescent bulbs. The idea is cool, but the starkness of the light is overwhelming.
Maybe you can get LED tubes is a light color you prefer...

And one more thing that blew me away today. I needed ink for our printer... Go to the store, look in the lookup book, find it... go to the cash... and Ph....uck.... $207.86... 2 Ph.....uking hundered dollars for ink cartriges for the printer... Ph.... Uck....
They about give the printers away... expecting to nail you on the ink cartridges...

The KIA stories remind me of my Sister's experience with her Jeep Cherokee that was in the shop more than it was out.
My Buddy bought a new '95 Cherokee and same story... the temperature gauge would go to maximum hot and stay there and none of the repairs Chrysler would authorize fixed it... he obviously didn't dare try to sell it used like that... and the dealers wouldn't take it as a trade in knowing it was unfixable... he wanted hot head me to go with him to the dealership to force them to eat it... The sales manager gave him an 800 number to call... in a rare stroke of genius, we asked if we could call from his office phone... he mistakenly said yes... after numerous tries, all we ever got was a busy signal... the manager finally got tired of us tying up his office and gave in... he said he'd handle all the paperwork, just go out and pick out a new '96 Cherokee...

I wuz wrong. I used to think the butcher refolded the ground beef to put the gray in the middle.Turns out the outer part has been treated with CO to keep it red. Is there no end to deception‽

I.got to come home around 330 this afternoon. Echo was great, no blood clots in the lungs. I am going to wear an event monitor (heart monitor) for 30 days and then I will f/u with the electrophysiologist in 2 months. I do have what is called orthostatic hypotension. My blood pressure lowers a decent amount especially going from sitting to standing. I suppose I will need to be more vigilant with wearing compression socks.
I do feel better today. I got a liter of IV fluids to help with my heart rate. I had ordered a chicken salad plate with fruit and some cheesecake for dinner but was discharged prior to dinnertime..... anyways.... one of my friends works on that floor and sent me a picture of her eating my cheesecake !!!

Thank you guys for the thoughts and prayers, its appreciated.

Sorry for your loss @RedneckGrump
Wow! When I was in the hospital a few months ago, all I got to eat was jello and broth. It was horrible! That was my diet because they cut a chunk of my colon out.

Anyway, I’m glad you’re out and I hope you can be fixed easily.

Well, I need to learn how to range cook again. The process of using a smooth top electric is OUT OF THIS WORLD WHACK! It's the complete opposite of Gas, I need more oil to prevent burning hashbrowns, Eggs cook way faster...

Also, the top is already damaged, looks like certain places didn't stain properly in the manufacturing. That said, I don't blame Frigidaire as I have never seen a good smooth top range, and the technology is only 60 years old or so...

Haven't used the oven, need a good day to open the windows to burn off the chemicals they put in the oven for no reason.

#1 on the priority list is punching a hole through the roof and putting in a vent with an Industrial Gas range like a Viking...

3 times, used the smooth top 3 times and I want to get rid of it... If the Air Fry works real good, I'll just grit my teeth and learn the range part.
I would not recommend a Viking range. Lots of problems with our Viking appliances. I would buy Wolf next time.

Yeah, I like that, but just a little brighter than I want...Thinking of using those LED ribbon lights... But that's the effect I want in that room! Thanks, Buddy!

Good Afternoon Ladies, Gentlemen...
Well, we are getting ready for yet another snowstorm... We were supposed to head to the city of Ottawa on Thursday and Friday... But Thursday was cancelled, so that's good... Not that I mind driving in snowstorms, but I would have to leave earlier than I would want to. On Friday we have to leave here at about 5:15 am to be there for a 7:45 appointment... But the snowstorm should be almost cleaned up by that time...

Lorie and I are thinking of joining up at a gym for the remaining of the winter... I have put on more weight than I ever wanted to from quitting smoking. I gotta get at least thirty pounds off, or my diabetic doctor is NOT going to be happy with me... So we are looking for a gym to join...

Gotta go and get ready for a surprise lunch (3 pm) for my brother-in-law... So, not a lot is getting done today... We picked the colours we are going to pick for the theatre room... We are going to paint the ceiling a dark green, and the walls the colour of the forest (dark green)

Well, kids, I hope YOU all have a wonderful Tuesday, and try and stay out of trouble...
Cheers~

Back