What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son had a treat he saw a Ford GT40 on the street a few days ago. I didn't ask for details if it was rolling it may have been a GT nonetheless a treat.
Could have been a VW-powered GT40 kit car, a GT40 (unlikely), or a Ford GT... Ford doesn't own the name "GT40" and can't use it on those cars it has made since the '60's... also, the Corvette since 2020 looks like a Ford GT... main difference is one has a much bigger ugly hole in the side than the other... I forget which one...

He said it was prettier than a Corvette.I don't know if he saw it rolling or parked. Something passed me in town the other day that was about 40" high but I didn't get a good look at it. I wasn't paying attention until I heard the V8 rumble. By the time I looked over my view was partially blocked by anther car. I'll have to remember to ask him the color.
I would like to see the Daedalus.

Well, my younger cat killed my second pair of Shoes to go along with 2 pairs of Boots. Absolutely worthless animals. Sure, Puppies pee and chew stuff, but they LEARN AND ADAPT... Not Terrorists.

I hope EVERY Cat that is taken into shelters is fixed, and all owners fix their Cats and eventually the species goes extinct.

Not all dogs learn though. Those puppies we had chewed my door. The people who adopted them had to get rid of them bc they kept destroying stuff. Someone on a sister forum to this one had a dog that would tear up her own crates, chewed up couches, laptops, and everything in sight. At least my cats sometimes catch mice and they keep me warm when its cold and purr for me when I feel cruddy. Also, none of my cats ever killed my goats. Someone dumped a dog out here back when I was younger and it went into our barnyard and started killing our goats.

I asked my brother to do 2 simple things before he left for work this afternoon:
1. Haul out the trash bags I filled
2. Get his new monitor out of the front passenger seat of the truck so Mom could have somewhere to sit.
Of course he didn't do either of those things. He also drank all the milk and didn't buy any when he went to the store. So, I had to haul stuff and take the monitor out. I'm thinking of returning it to my friend and telling him that my brother is too irresponsible to have it and if he grows some sense of responsibility he can go get it himself and not dump everything on me.

Went to State Farm to sort out a bill. We have autopay but they didn't take out the $ after raising the premiums again and sent us notice that they were going to cancel our insurance if we didn't pay. Premiums went up by $100 a month. It sucks that it is mandatory to carry insurance on vehicles bc our annual premiums are getting close to more than we'd get for the vehicles if they were totaled.

Went to Walmart and Mom was mad that they didn't have any riding carts. She pushed a cart around and decided her back hurt so she went to sit in the truck while I checked out. Fastest shopping trip I've ever had with her in the store. She needed the exercise though. Stopped by TSC to get hay and feed for the cows. Had to unload that and cut open the bags for the cows and then unloaded groceries and got food for Mom.

I'm about to take a nap. I slammed my shoulder into the doorway while carrying stuff in so my shoulder is throbbing.

Unfortunately, those who forgo car insurance force those like us to pay higher insurance premiums because we need to pay for "ininsured motorist" coverage. In California, half the driver's don't even have driver's licenses, therefore even if the car is insured, the insurance is no good.

Putting a vacuum on a liquid will simply cause it to low temperature boil until the vacuum is filled in... although that may be OK to keep it fresh...
I never thought about the repercussions of putting wine under vacuum but you’re right! Pressure and the boiling point of a liquid is directly proportional. The lower the pressure, the lower the boiling point. The opposite is true as well and that’s why your cooling system in your car is under pressure…to allow the coolant to boil at a higher temp so your engine can run at 240 degrees F. So, when you take your radiator cap off and the pressure is rapidly reduced, the coolant instantly boils and erupts.

An interesting fact…Lewis and Clark used this physics law to determine their altitude as they explored new places. They would boil a pot of water and measure the temperature of the water as it boiled. They had a chart to tell them how high they were based on the temperature of the boiling water because as you go up, the pressure is less and water boils at a lower temperature. That’s also why you have to cook your Top Ramen longer at higher elevations.

I never thought about the repercussions of putting wine under vacuum but you’re right! Pressure and the boiling point of a liquid is directly proportional. The lower the pressure, the lower the boiling point. The opposite is true as well and that’s why your cooling system in your car is under pressure…to allow the coolant to boil at a higher temp so your engine can run at 240 degrees F. So, when you take your radiator cap off and the pressure is rapidly reduced, the coolant instantly boils and erupts.

An interesting fact…Lewis and Clark used this physics law to determine their altitude as they explored new places. They would boil a pot of water and measure the temperature of the water as it boiled. They had a chart to tell them how high they were based on the temperature of the boiling water because as you go up, the pressure is less and water boils at a lower temperature. That’s also why you have to cook your Top Ramen longer at higher elevations.
I don't think you have to worry about boiling your wine due to low pressure. Even if you did soon as the air space reached equal pressure it would stop.

The boiling point of water varies by what is in the water (minearla and whatnot, so I wonder how accurate those altitude calculations actually were. For the day that's a pretty cool way to figure it out. Never knew they did that.

In 7th grade science class, we did an experiment with a beaker of water and a vacuum bell (which was a glass dome that sealed against a plate on the bottom). We put an ice cube in The beaker of water, then put the glass dome over it and sucked out the air creating a vacuum (not sure how much vacuum because we didn’t have a gauge). Sure enough, pretty soon the water started to boil with the ice cube in it.

In 7th grade science class, we did an experiment with a beaker of water and a vacuum bell (which was a glass dome that sealed against a plate on the bottom). We put an ice cube in The beaker of water, then put the glass dome over it and sucked out the air creating a vacuum (not sure how much vacuum because we didn’t have a gauge). Sure enough, pretty soon the water started to boil with the ice cube in it.
I remember one where you boil water in a flask take it off the heat and put a stopper in it and flip it upside down in a ring stand and put an ice cube on the bottom. Once the air cooled and the pressure dropped it would start to boil again. I loved all that nerd physics stuff.

We use the wine bottle pumps weekly on partially consumed bottles. 5-6 pumps reduces the oxygen level within the bottle, and will keep a bottle of wine tasting fresh for about a week or so. Of course, you can inject with the inert gas through a needle, but that system costs about $250, and honestly are dangerous if you aren't paying attention.

Pressure pump caps are sold supposedly to keep fizz in but they fail to take into account the law of partial pressures .
If you pump air into a keg of beer it will spoil in a week from the impurities in the air... but if you pump CO2 in it will keep fresh for months...

Latest posts

Back