What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks nice! I really like the can lights in a room. They really brighten things up and most are dimmable. They make the space look modern and new.

Does that plastic light box straddle that 2x4? Are the lights LED? I know the LED lights are so thin you can put them under a joist because they are only the thickness of a piece of sheetrock.

PS...Don't forget your tape measure up there!

View attachment 29718
LOL, I removed the tape measure Yes, that is a full ceiling/fan light box. Half is wrapped on either side of the 2x6. His office is going to have an aviator theme, including a refurbished 1940's desk. He wanted the wall switch for his (4) pendant lights to highlight 4 huge pictures, and wanted full power for his propeller blade ceiling fan, so I tied a constant hot leg to his ceiling box. He collects art, and loves Peter Lik. He loves these pictures, primarily the aviator theme, and is up to 25 inside his house. Too rich for my blood, but with he and his wife making big bucks, I guess if you have it, buy it.

The Aviation Collection by Peter Lik

I would be concerned about fiberglass in the air with one of those.
Modern fiberglass doesn't have that itchy dust... I was more concerned about all the dirt on the filter that I changed yesterday... glad it caught it...

Z, hope your Mom recovers fine... Remember my reason that I can't even smell Shrimp, Lobster and Crab without almost hurling?

Yeah, food poisoning sucks!
Thanks. My brother and I are still feeling blech from it too. Didn't get nearly as sick as Mom did. Thus far she's kept her medicine down and kept down the toast and milk I got her. That was all she wanted to eat/drink (aside from water). She canceled her appointment for tomorrow so I'll have to get her rescheduled or swap appointments or something. She said she felt like she'd feel to cruddy to make it to the truck to go to the appointment. I have one on wednesday to follow up on my shoulder progress.
Ruby used to get a lot of stuff from Craig's List but since we moved to Alabama, it's Facebook Market Place. The mirror on the dresser she found in California. It was in a shed and a little rough but we saw the value immediately and bought it. Ruby refinished it and I mounted it on an existing dresser using 1/2" electric conduit and galvanized clamps on the back. It has held up very well even during the 2,400 mile move from California to Alabama.

That is a Hope Chest and it does open. Ruby stores memorabilia in it like her cheerleading outfit, our kids baby stuff, etc. but you could put blankets and spare pillows in there. Normally, I think people would put a hope chest at the foot of their bed but we don't have room enough to do that.

Food poisoning happens occasionally but if it is a regular occurrence then something needs to be done. Your mom probably isn't going to want fish for a while. I hope she feels better soon but she needs to be careful at her age.
I never would have known that the mirror didn't come with that dresser. Ruby did a fantastic job of fixing it up & getting it to match!
Ah, ok, so the chest is what my mother calls a "blanket chest". It is very nice looking. Mom has a big trunk at the foot of her bed but its so piled up with boxes in her room that you can't see it. Once I get feeling better I need to do some major cleanup and clearing out of stuff. Spicoli keeps reminding me how unhealthy the house is and I keep procrastinating.
I got the new air fryer in place-- had to bump the fridge over more. I have to leave it unplugged because I can't seem to find an off switch for it just yet and it has all sorts of stuff on a display when it is plugged in. I still need to organize more since I had to move things out of the way. Right now I'm feeling exhausted from lack of sleep and being sick from the food poisoning. I'm glad I didn't get hit as hard by it, but I hate seeing my mom feeling so awful.

I went into town to get mom's prescriptions for nausea and some antibiotics. They said her white blood cell count was elevated. The notes on the paper mentioned "kidney injury" or something. But they didn't say anything to either of us about it. I was supposed to get my baker's rack back from jacka** but he ended up saying he was out of town and then complained that I haven't tried to talk to him in years and now I'm suddenly talking to him again. Like, the dude didn't try to talk to me for years and whenever I was over to see his gf he would ignore me and play video games. I told him it goes both ways & I'm not going to feel guilty when I've actually made more effort to communicate with him than he has with me. But he's a narcissist and likes to play those sorts of games. Fortunately, I saw it coming and will not fall for any bs.

Meanwhile, I've been making image collages and playing with graphics in my boredom.

On the washable filters, we got them before and they were awful. Since it is humid here and rains a lot, there was no good place to get them to dry and there was no filter while it was drying. Need to have 2 that can be swapped out or something in order for it to work, but the filters I got were not easy to clean. So, I get the disposable kind. I do wish I could figure out some use for the metal stuff inside them, but I can't just keep a bunch of dirty filters around hoping to use the metal someday. Reminds me I probably need to change the hallway filter again.

I buy my a/c filters by the case when they come up on their "deal of the day" online specials. I take a 14"x25" and need two per change. They are merv(? ) 10 and I pay about $8 per filter when I buy them by a case of 12. I also need (2) 10"x10" filters, since I have 4 intakes in my unit, but them little guys are special order and about $20 a piece, so instead, I purchase a few 10"x20" merv filters for $12 a piece, and cut them in half.

Havasu, we get a discount on the filters bc we have a subscription. They send packages every few months. The hallway one has to be changed 2x a month and the one in my brother's bedroom once every 2 months. 21x21 size. I need to vacuum the grilles. I'll have to change the on in my brother's room after he leaves for work in the morning.

Ron, that is a very cool headboard and seat thingy.

Just before 3:30am my mother paged on the phone's intercom. I answered and she was slurring her words & babbling gibberish. She was pausing and having trouble getting words out. What I gathered was she was insisting that I called her. I went in to see her bc I was worried and she kept babbling about how I woke her up from a dead sleep by calling her and saying something took the silver off the buns. She didn't seem to understand that what she was saying made zero sense. Normally she'd laugh or give some sign to let me know she was messing with me, but she seemed genuinely confused. My brother had just come out of the bathroom and was worried as well. He let me have one of his blood sugar test kids (after I googled what could cause hallucinations & high blood sugar was an option). It took some time and a bathroom break in between but she finally was able to test her sugar. It was 380 so she took some insulin. I started having arrhythmia and chest pain (first one from being worried & second from gas). Went away after I took some alkazeltzer gas relief and let out some good belches. She complained of a headache so I got her some naprosyn. I have a mild headache but not enough to take something for it. Haven't been able to get back to sleep since. It was totally bizarre. She's had higher blood sugar before. She stopped slurring her words at least but she seems somewhat out of it. Could be meds, or from being sick, or from having been half asleep. I hope it was just her having a weird dream and not something more serious. I will mention it to the doctor on wednesday that it concerned me.

I guess I'm going to be working on image collages for the next hour or until I can get my brain to calm down enough to let me sleep.

Watching the first episode of the web-documentary series "Absolute Healing" that has to do with the clot shot / long Covid.

The first episode and the bonus episode are only available until tonight, then it's taken down for tonight's episode... The length of the first day's episodes is a little over 3 Hours.

The host just talked about how Doctors are realizing that Intermittent Fasting is a great remedy for the shot side effects, but I haven't got there yet.

https://absolutehealingseries.com/

Moved the furniture over to the new section. What happened to the circuit breaker box? It disappeared! Now I have to finish the other side of the room.
Looks super! I was going to suggest a matching breaker box cover for the other side

Ron, that is a very cool headboard and seat thingy.
We have a foot board that matches but not enough room for it. We had a much larger bedroom in our old house in California. This house actually has an even larger primary (Formerly called Master Bedroom) but Ruby and I elected to give it to Ruby's mother ...The family Matriarch. The reason for giving my MIL the larger bedroom wasn't actually as noble as it may seem...The primary (largest bedroom) is way off in a corner of the house that's pretty remote with it's own small kitchen and living room. So she is pretty much in her own house but connected to ours . . .So she's near but not up our butts all day. Here's what her bedroom looks like.. (She has a hope chest too)!

IMG_3685.jpg

Her bedroom is 18.5' X 21.5'. The closet on the left, runs the entire 21.5' and has three sets of bi-fold doors. The door on the right is her ensuite bathroom. She has a little deck too.

IMG_3688.jpg

So, Ruby and I are trying to make the best of our little bedroom. Someday, if we outlive my MIL (which isn't guarantied), Ruby and I might have the good view.

Ruby and I have some of our clothes stored in her room right now because we don't have a closet right now (yet) . . .

IMG_3687.jpg
Just before 3:30am my mother paged on the phone's intercom. I answered and she was slurring her words & babbling gibberish. She was pausing and having trouble getting words out. What I gathered was she was insisting that I called her. I went in to see her bc I was worried and she kept babbling about how I woke her up from a dead sleep by calling her and saying something took the silver off the buns. She didn't seem to understand that what she was saying made zero sense. Normally she'd laugh or give some sign to let me know she was messing with me, but she seemed genuinely confused. My brother had just come out of the bathroom and was worried as well. He let me have one of his blood sugar test kids (after I googled what could cause hallucinations & high blood sugar was an option). It took some time and a bathroom break in between but she finally was able to test her sugar. It was 380 so she took some insulin. I started having arrhythmia and chest pain (first one from being worried & second from gas). Went away after I took some alkazeltzer gas relief and let out some good belches. She complained of a headache so I got her some naprosyn. I have a mild headache but not enough to take something for it. Haven't been able to get back to sleep since. It was totally bizarre. She's had higher blood sugar before. She stopped slurring her words at least but she seems somewhat out of it. Could be meds, or from being sick, or from having been half asleep. I hope it was just her having a weird dream and not something more serious. I will mention it to the doctor on wednesday that it concerned me.
That would have me worried.

Last edited:
A Doctor on the documentary series is talking about the use of Nicotine on Glioblastoma, the Brain Cancer... First, researchers created the Tumor with Snake venom, which is in the clot shots. Then they figured out how to get rid of it...

When the researchers used less than 1mg of Nicotine per 1kg of body weight, there was no effect. When the dosage of Nicotine was increased, the entire Tumor dissolved in less than 72 Hours.

If you register to see the series, that part is at the 1:40 mark... Remember, you only have until tonight to watch the first episodes. (Unless you buy the series)

Back