What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Post formed Formica counter tops fail because they don't seal the particleboard under the front edge. I think all Formica post formed counter tops use particle board. I sealed my original counter top front edge with wood glue so spills and drips couldn't wick into the particle board.
Also seal the sink cut to prevent water wicking in there.

Son, DIL and her Mom all have Omicron variant. They had shots and boosters but I believe Omicron hit them harder than it did me with no shots or boosters.
How do you know what strain they got? Wife and I are just getting over it. I had 1 day of bad body aches but mostly just stuffy head and a cough.

I went to get a curbside pickup order and get mail. I'm letting my body rest today. My mind is all over the place but my body is aching so I need to let it rest to catch up to my brain. The HDMI cable for my monitor went out (it was an old cable)- so I had to put in a new one (had a spare lying around). I couldn't figure out why it resized everything on my screen and then realized the old one was in HDMI 2 slot and I put the new one in HDMI 1 slot. When I switched to 2 it had more resolution options. So my screen is no longer stretched and messed up.

I was worried that I put the cement board on with the wrong side facing out, so I looked it up and it said it doesn't matter. One side is better suited for "mastic" and the other for "thinset" but both will still work equally well. Either later today or tomorrow I will work more on squaring out and leveling the walls. I've got a hot glue gun and a powered stapler now.

How do you know what strain they got? Wife and I are just getting over it. I had 1 day of bad body aches but mostly just stuffy head and a cough.
When I got it after returning home from a trip to Greece in June I could only assume it was Omicron because that is what was going around at the time. It would certainly take something more sophisticated than a home test to narrow it down. Since all I had was a sore throat for a couple of days and no fever I never went to the doctor's office. They advised if it got worse to call back. Several of my fellow travelers got the COVID treatment and faired worse than I did. But they were all older than me and not as fit as I am. I biked over 6200 miles last year, including while I was testing positive for COVID. Not minimizing what others went through but for me it wasn't even as bad as a summer cold.

They went to urgent care and the PS mad a guess due to the 3-4 day incubation time. My symptoms last December were milder than a cold (shorter duration too).

Bad news today my son's MIL was admitted to the hospital due to pink traces in phlegm. DIL is already resting negative.

Today I cleaned up my basement after the sump pump incident, mopped the floor, and reorganized/decluttered my basement workbench. I also made a hook for my backpack of music-related gear to hang on so it doesn't have to sit on the floor and risk getting wet should something like that ever happen again.

We got our cabinets at Cabinets to go. They are real wood not particle board.
Talking about cabinets: I've been wanting to refresh our kitchen for some time but I wanted to replace the hinges, slides, and cabinet doors and drawer fronts. The cabinets themselves are in very condition. Do you all know of any place that sells the doors and drawer fronts only?

Talking about cabinets: I've been wanting to refresh our kitchen for some time but I wanted to replace the hinges, slides, and cabinet doors and drawer fronts. The cabinets themselves are in very condition. Do you all know of any place that sells the doors and drawer fronts only?
Google Cabinet door replacements and you'll get lots of results.

My buddy's 60" smart TV died and the repair man wisely told him that with current TV prices he could replace it cheaper than purchasing/installing a new board. He brought a 37" TV (w/o HDMI jack) that he wasn't using from a BR into his den but was told that he couldn't use his soundbar w/o a smart TV and internet connection. Over his adamant objection I convinced him to get the soundbar out of the closet and let me try it. I ran an auxiliary cable from his Dish receiver to the soundbar and he said 'how did you do that?' I have a wye ordered for the auxiliary cable so it can feed both a whole house FM transmitter and the soundbar. He keeps Cirrus XM music playing when he's not watching TV. He may eventually get another big screen TV when he comes to the realization that it will work with Dish Network w/o an internet connection (just as his old TV did).

37" is 4" bigger than my tv that I bought 12 years ago, and which I always thought of as plenty big. The kids and I sit 10-20 feet away from it and have no trouble seeing (even back when I wore glasses with a weak prescription). Why do people need these giant screens? Genuinely curious. The huge ones take up more energy and space and are harder to mount/move plus if your blinds are open the whole neighborhood can see what you're watching. What's the appeal?

I don't recall what size my TV is, maybe 55". I found when streaming Blue Bloods (the only network series I follow) and mirroring it on the TV that I was looking to my Chromebook for detail. Now I no longer mirror I just watch it on the Chromebook. I stream it as I am doing other things during its air time. I guess a larger screen helps with multiple watchers but for a single person or a couple why not just sit close enough to the TV to get a life size image perception and save some real estate for other purposes. My friend has macular degeneration and watches a lot of golf so a larger than life image may benefit him. Actually I prefer to read, only a minuscule portion of a book ever makes it to the screen. I guess big game parties need large screens but I have no interest in games or game parties. My TV is just a big dark screen until the Saturday night PBS music programs come on. It's amazing how many people pay in excess of $100/mo for TV.

Last edited:
I read that chamomile tea before bed is touted by some to soften hard belly fat and make it easier to lose (convert white fat to brown fat). It may be imagination but my belly fat seems more squishy than before I started drinking the tea. Exercise and intermittent fasting result in overall weight loss but seems to have little effect on belly fat.

I decided to get some Blue Light blocking glasses to see if they would do anything. They came with a test card and a little finger push blue light like the little keychain flashlights. When the light is shined on the card alone, it creates a Purple dot. When shined through the glasses, there is no dot... Ok, they work for that, cool...

Then I shined the light through other glasses...

Outdoor Amber Blue Light Glasses... No dot

Regular $9 Sunglasses... No dot from an inch away, up real close barely any mark.

Regular clear Shop safety glasses... Complete failure

Now, lets test the blue light coming off my devices...

Both computer monitors, card laying against them... No mark

Against my phone... No mark

Against my TV that is from before Smart TV's existed... No mark

Against my Projector lens... No mark

Up close to a regular Incandescent light bulb... No mark

Up close to a LED light bulb... No mark.

So... I don't know where all this indoor Blue Light is supposedly coming from, leaving the only source as the Sun, which apparently even the cheapest of Sunglasses protects against... I will wear the Blue Light blocking ones outside anyway, though. So unless you have naked eyes, maybe Prescription glasses, or regular safety glasses in the Sun, you are probably protected.

I read that chamomile tea before bed is touted by some to soften hard belly fat and make it easier to lose (convert white fat to brown fat). It may be imagination but my belly fat seems more squishy than before I started drinking the tea. Exercise and intermittent fasting result in overall weight loss but seems to have little effect on belly fat.
You burn fat whenever you aren't eating, unless you are constantly feeding the body it's preferred fuel of Sugar. Intermittent fasting works for me, but I do 23 Hours. I don't need the 6 hours or whatever to eat... True water / herbal tea fasting for 2 days or more really kicks in Autophagy, especially in the middle of the night, which is where you see fat loss.

Every time you "Break Fast", your body stops and has to process the food, so it goes from 100mph to 0 and has to wind back up. That's why I do at least a 36 Hour water only before beginning an Intermittent cycle. Everybody's different with most of that, but everybody is the same when it comes to Autophagy and how it kicks in.

Door & Drawer Front Styles sells just the doors. Never used it though. I wonder if Build.com has just doors and drawer faces.

My brain isn't kicking in to gear this morning. Mom woke me up last night wanting me to watch something on Youtube and then wanted food and I couldn't get into a restful sleep. Then my brother woke me up this morning to tell me UPS dropped off a package for me and left it on my truck's tailgate in the rain. Package was completely soaked through but fortunately the product inside was wrapped in plastic. Still ticks me off.

I might have to go to the store today to get more groceries. They didn't have the salads for my curbside pickup order yesterday.

Door & Drawer Front Styles sells just the doors. Never used it though. I wonder if Build.com has just doors and drawer faces.

My brain isn't kicking in to gear this morning. Mom woke me up last night wanting me to watch something on Youtube and then wanted food and I couldn't get into a restful sleep. Then my brother woke me up this morning to tell me UPS dropped off a package for me and left it on my truck's tailgate in the rain. Package was completely soaked through but fortunately the product inside was wrapped in plastic. Still ticks me off.

I might have to go to the store today to get more groceries. They didn't have the salads for my curbside pickup order yesterday.

I don't know how you do it... I would lose my cotton pickin mind.

Mom... Watch the video yourself and get yourself some food, let me know if the video is good in the morning WHEN I wakeup.

14 Year Old Brother... GO GET the package... Move yourself for once in your life.

Spicoli, I thought blue light glasses were so you can look at screens without them giving you eyestrain and causing sleep problems. Anyway, maybe those glasses are fine, but the testing protocols sure sound like garbage!

23 hours is an impressive daily fast BTW. Nicely done! I do 14-15 hours on a typical day, 18-21 on a long one. Usually not on purpose.

Spicoli, I thought blue light glasses were so you can look at screens without them giving you eyestrain and causing sleep problems. Anyway, maybe those glasses are fine, but the testing protocols sure sound like garbage!

23 hours is an impressive daily fast BTW. Nicely done! I do 14-15 hours on a typical day, 18-21 on a long one. Usually not on purpose.
Well, I have seen something about the 20 rule or something like that, where if you stare at the screen for 20 minutes, you look away at something else for 20 seconds. I don't understand why I would look at a screen for 20 minutes at once.

Why is the testing protocol bad? The card either registers Blue light or doesn't.

I don't do 23 Hours every day, just cycling like during the Summer if I'm working on a project and don't have time to eat. I might have a TSP of Coconut Oil for fuel, but don't eat solid food until evening, then it's something light.

These days, around 16-17 daily.

Latest posts

Back