What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I microwaved the leftover strip of cooked turkey bacon for 33 seconds and it made it crisp enough to eat but it had less flavor.

There are so many spammers hitting my forums that I really question new VPN's. Best bet is to use your non VPN IP address when joining, then revert back to a VPN.

There are so many spammers hitting my forums that I really question new VPN's. Best bet is to use your non VPN IP address when joining, then revert back to a VPN.
I had my VPN on when I first navigated there, but then I remembered to turn it off before pressing the "Register" button. I think the site already associated my computer with my VPN IP though.

Usually, there is a way to let the forum owner know you are real and only use the VPN for your confidentiality.

Spicoli, I used a ziploc bag for seasoning once. It left too much seasoning stuck to the oily sides of the bag. When I air fried potatoes I put a little oil in a salad bowl, turned and brushed until potatoes were covered with oil before seasoning. After frying I put them back into the bowl for eating so I used potatoes to sop the residue out of the bowl (minimal waste). I was thinking of misting the potatoes with oil thus less oil in the bowl.
Yeah, I prefer using a bowl. I think I will only use oil next time and season after they are fried.

Yeah, I prefer using a bowl. I think I will only use oil next time and season after they are fried.
That's what I recommend too. Especially with russets, man, they don't need anything but oil and salt IMO. If you start dealing with redskinned potatoes, Yukon golds, fingerlings, etc. okay you can start with other spices and herbs, but russets are better left unmessed around with.

Ron, what did you use for the hook to the left of your 'over the toilet' cabinet? I need to get the towels off my oven door handles and somehow on to the island under construction.

1684616983671.png

The window guy just left. He will be emailing me the contract later this evening, but the cost is a little under 6k to replace 11 windows and the sliding glass door. (Does not include cost of door, but does include install price.) Plus..... 3 windows on my back porch so I can close it in. I am super excited. Simonton windows was the brand I chose between the 2. They were a little more expensive but not enough to make a huge difference. Like only a $700 difference. Anyways, closer to the end of June for install. I'll update once I get the info.

Today, at my feet, I found a young life, green and supple. It was tiny, helpless, brand new, full of potential and promise. Truly a marvel, with the intricate beauty and logic of nature woven into its every cell. Countless generations before had come and gone to produce this one organism, and it contained in its DNA the possibility of countless more generations to follow.

Well, it did, until I ripped it out of the ground and tossed it in the trash. Poison ivy has no place in my yard.

I have a dumb question.....
How think should my 2 layers of subfloor be together? I just tried to measure it, pulled up the area rug over the whole, then the shelf bood, then that black roofing paper...... it appeared to be 1.5 inches which included a sheet of luan..... however, the smell of cat p%^s has me irritated, and sneezing. It has taken me months to get up the courage to attempt it, and I don't want to do it again until I have the materials to fix it. I have another area that I could attempt to measure however, I am too irritated currently. So, I am hopeful one of you can help me out.

On another note, I only need to add wood on one side there because the sistered the floor joist under one side of the hole.

I have a dumb question.....
How think should my 2 layers of subfloor be together? I just tried to measure it, pulled up the area rug over the whole, then the shelf bood, then that black roofing paper...... it appeared to be 1.5 inches which included a sheet of luan..... however, the smell of cat p%^s has me irritated, and sneezing. It has taken me months to get up the courage to attempt it, and I don't want to do it again until I have the materials to fix it. I have another area that I could attempt to measure however, I am too irritated currently. So, I am hopeful one of you can help me out.

On another note, I only need to add wood on one side there because the sistered the floor joist under one side of the hole.
I have only heard of 1 layer of 3/4.

Pics?

I have only heard of 1 layer of 3/4.

Pics?
You don't want pics.... there are definitely 2 layers because I have replaced some of the living room floor. I may try the other area in a bit, still will be gross, just maybe not as gross

Eta: both layers probably aren't called subflooring, just what I am calling it.

Last edited:
Flyover, clear your cache/cookies and then go back to the site without vpn on to register maybe?

Shan, the bottom layer over the bare joists is subfloor. The top layer is sometimes called underlayment. Sometimes they are glued together with construction adhesive but other times they are just stacked and screwed or nailed down to the joists. The layers should be staggered so that the end seams are not in the same place. You might want to check out flooringforum.com It's a sister forum to this one and some of the same people frequent it, but there are flooring experts/installers over there. If replacing the subfloor you want to look for plywood (NOT OSB bc its got too much flex and too vulnerable to moisture) rated for floors. Top layer can be the same or be lauan. Lauan is usually an underlayment. I forgot to mention when the subfloor is installed, if the area is larger than needing 2 sheets, you should stagger even the bottom layer so that the end seams don't line up with one another. Say your joists span 24" and you start one board at the very end and then start the 2nd board at the 2nd joist. Slitting up the seams makes it less likely for the floor to move. As I mentioned before, boards on top should be staggered so that the seams of the top layer don't line up with bottom (except at walls and obstacles where they have to end).

Today I went to Walmart bc I was out of milk and some stuff. Grabbed some food for my friend and medicine for his kids. He told me they were throwing up. By the time I got over to drop stuff off, I was told he had to take his daughter to the hospital. She's about to have her appendix removed. So, obviously he wont be able to help with working on my bathroom today. Might not be able to tomorrow either if he has to stay home with his daughter.

After going to the store I hauled stuff down to the workshop, spread some plastic, and sprayed primer on the PVC trim boards. I need to wait for them to dry and then probably do another coat on the front. Some of them have barcodes printed in black that show through the 1st coat. Might go back down later tonight to work on it, but my fingertip is numb from spraying. I didn't get to the corner trim yet because there wasn't space to spray it. Once I have the PVC boards painted I'll be able to work on the corner trim.

I air fried a couple of eggs. First I fried frozen tater tots for about 10 minutes then dumped them into a small oil brushed Pyrex dish. I arranged the tots to cover the bottom of the dish and cracked two eggs on top. Added salt and pepper, fried until eggs were set and ate from the dish.

I'm wondering if a Cornish game hen will fit in my tray?

Last edited:
Ron, what did you use for the hook to the left of your 'over the toilet' cabinet? I need to get the towels off my oven door handles and somehow on to the island under construction.

View attachment 30817
Nice kitchen!

The hook came with the cabinet. I think it is for spare TP.

@zannej These are small areas that need repaired. They used to be return air vents, but my moms cats constantly peed in them before I had everything replaced. They are currently like 8x22ish.... but I will have to cut a couple of inches in all directions because the top layer is what looks like particle board.
I meant to take pictures before I showered, but forgot to.

I traded one of the girls 4 hours this week so that I didn't have to work until 11pm and be across town at 745am the next morning and then work till 11 pm..... it will still be a 15 hour day, however, I can at least go to bed by like 9 the night before. Hopefully I can get some answers, and changes going after this appt.

Much like doodling on a desk pad while talking on the phone.
I was just up on Lake Huron and there is this tiny island called Dollar Island. It ha 1 structure that basically covers the entire island. It is really weird, has all sorts of odd things built on the house and around it. It always reminds me of someone that was just doodling while building it. Here's a picture from a few years back while I was there. I found a real estate listing for it from a few years ago when it was for sale. You can buy this tiny island near Mackinac for $850K

Attachments

• 20201009_175717.jpg
    20201009_175717.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back