What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just up on Lake Huron and there is this tiny island called Dollar Island. It ha 1 structure that basically covers the entire island. It is really weird, has all sorts of odd things built on the house and around it. It always reminds me of someone that was just doodling while building it. Here's a picture from a few years back while I was there. I found a real estate listing for it from a few years ago when it was for sale. You can buy this tiny island near Mackinac for $850K
Not a bad price for a private island!

Ron, did you just experience Groundhog day?

Anyway, you seem like a remarkably handy guy to have around. Your family's lucky to have you.

I once again have a strange cold that feels pretty severe from the neck up and almost absent from the neck down. Today it was so bad I decided not to lift weights, but I'll probably do core exercises anyway.

A cactus forum finally let me in so hopefully I can save my plant.

Meanwhile despite my apparent illness (I'm still not 100% sure it isn't just sudden-onset seasonal allergies) between meetings I built three more shelves for the dresser and started hatching a plan for the rest of it.

I decided to go ahead and do the other area to make the floor level. That will be June 5th. Ugh..... 2023 os the year of money depletion lol.

Anyhow, after that I can get busy with finishing up picking flooring and cabinets and such.

I checked out a place that supposedly had discount cabinets near me.... locally owned, they were ridiculous.

I am looking at the Menards klearvue just because of the frame less fronts, and the ability to customize easily.

All of what I have seen are cheaply made, except for super custom 6 month waits and kradtsmaid, both of which are wayyyy too expensive.

I'm tired of thinking about these things though, and becoming increasingly annoyed over the kitchens current state.

Shan, Did you check craigslist? In my area they list new and used cabinets. My son found used cabinets that fit his kitchen design. I helped him with loading and unloading the UHaul truck when he picked them up. As it turns out they were essentially unused (as were the new ones that replaced them). IOW the people weren't really into using their kitchen and just wanted to replace white cabinets.

He had spent weeks pouring over catalogs, choosing cabinet combinations, door designs, color and counter tops. We were all heartbroken when he got the estimate and it was well into the thousands. My eyes still mist a bit just thinking about it. As it turns out they saved so much money they don't dwell on it and their kitchen looks nice in white.

Last edited:
Shan, if they are small areas then you can do what Ron did and put some 2x4s in to support the patches. Still may want to look for the floor grade plywood. Hopefully you can get things figured out.

Eddie, they sell raceway thingies to hide cords but depending on your aesthetics they may still appear ugly. Are these on the floor, walls, or on furniture?

The plan today was to take Mom to DMV to renew her license and the truck's registration. She decided she didn't feel up to getting her picture taken so we skipped DMV. She had to go to the bank and then we took Fippy to the vet for a checkup. He's down to 12lbs. The harness was very loose on him. Records show he was 18.5lbs at one point. He wasn't feeling great afterward so we got him a plain burger from McDonalds. That's his favorite treat after vet visits. She forgot to take his harness off of him before opening the door so he ran out with it on. While I was sitting with him on my lap on the couch trying to remove it, he snatched up the entire burger and devoured it. I was going to break it up into pieces.

Stopped by to check on friend and his daughter. The daughter is apparently running around but still having some pain and they have her on strong painkillers. She's recovering a lot faster than I did, but the didn't have the same type of surgery available back then.

I took out the trash and the bag was so heavy I couldn't lift it off the ground to carry it. I had to drag it. Made it almost to the door when it snagged, ripped, and leaked a little. I had to get my brother to help me get it out of the can but he wouldn't help me get it to the door even though his one chore is to take out trash but he never does it.

I tried to dremel down the botched repair job on the tub, but I was using the wrong attachment I think. It was not doing anything. I'm going to try a different one later.

In reading up on rope end treatments I hit upon one for floatplane ropes. It's a rope end treatment on steroids so they won't fray in the slipstream.

Fixed air fried smashed potatoes for supper. I meant to try some air fried pickles later but forgot about it. I would prolly need an olive oil sprayer for pickles though. Maybe I could brush with oil before dredging in seasoned flour mixture.

You gonna keep us in suspense?
Yeah, several layers of heat shrink and multiple dips in Plasti Dip don't really relate to our more casual use of ropes.
...just potatoes?
Just potatoes · · · my pantry is running low plus I am lousy on meal planning. Maybe some white beans soaking overnight so I can have beans, potatoes and cornbread tomorrow.

Good Morning Girls and Boys...
Well, the long weekend weather was off and on... a couple of hours of rain here and there... Not sure where the long weekend went, but came and gone...In the midst of planning our trip to Syracuse and Watertown on June 6th for a couple of days... and just found out the brother and sister-in-law are tagging a long with us... Lovely...

Yesterday I drove up to the brother-in-law to help him put up a metal gazebo... I and Lorie put up a wooden one last year, and I found it easier, and more solid than the metal one... If I was to do it again, I would put up a wooden one again before the metal one... Anybody else I know who put up a wooden one, it started to rust within 2 years, and was garbage within 4 - 5 years... I told him for another $1000 he could have put up a wooden one. Black flies were horrible yesterday, he is only an hour and a half north of us, but found they are about three weeks behind us in weather... So far the worst place to get bitten by black flies is where you had a blister, and it popped and new skin... Think that is the worst place to get a sting... Anyways the Gazebo is up... Looks good... think they should have only bought a 10 x 10... but they got a 10 x 12... Takes up most of the front deck, and blocks the kitchen window...

Anyways we were at the dog park a lot during the weekend with our visitor... Not missing to have another dog... Miss Carl and Lennie very much... But not missing having another dog... We like our freedom now... We got Fisher till Monday, I renamed him Dufuss... Good dog, but way too needy for me...

That's about all that is going on in our lives right now...

I ran into a guy like that shortly after our accident at Tim Horton's... I was shocked they had him on the counter, and not working in the back room... He looked scary and sickening... I stopped using that Tim Hortons only because of himself. There is also a guy head of maintenance at my Mother-in-Laws retirement home... a very nice guy... but scary to the children visiting their grandparents. Not sure why anyone would do that to themselves, but not sure it's because they are missing something in their brain, or for attention... but it certainly not right to me... Maybe I'm just way to old to understand... I have buddies who are covered in Tat's... and complain they are short of cash... I can't imangine what those tats cost...

Anyways, probably rambled on long enough... Hope YOU all have a wonderful day....
Cheers~
Mike

Not sure why anyone would do that to themselves, but not sure it's because they are missing something in their brain, or for attention...
I wonder that about people who are fat, which I think might be a majority of adults in North America. I know some people get injured and stuff so they can't exercise, and then have endocrinological problems on top of that, but I also know most fat people probably don't have that unique combination of factors.

Bad eating habits in a society of abundant food explains some of it. I think "missing something" or "carrying around deep inner pain" probably explains most of the rest of it. But honestly I don't know and am curious.

Fixed air fried smashed potatoes for supper. I meant to try some air fried pickles later but forgot about it. I would prolly need an olive oil sprayer for pickles though. Maybe I could brush with oil before dredging in seasoned flour mixture.
I want to practice Air Frying everything also, but I don't think it's possible to do pickles or anything else that is mostly water. Dehydrating pickle slices might be worth trying.

From a distance tatts look like bruises due to the weird ink color of tatts. Maybe one could start a prosperous business of preserving and framing tatts. Maybe call the process tattsidermy.

Last edited:
Not sure why anyone would do that to themselves, but not sure it's because they are missing something in their brain, or for attention... but it certainly not right to me... Maybe I'm just way to old to understand... I have buddies who are covered in Tat's... and complain they are short of cash... I can't imangine what those tats cost...
There's a mental aspect in it. People that have a few tats aren't in my classification as mental, but people that have their entire face covered and have hooks and rings and stuff are mental in that they are missing a component that normally occurs early in life called attention. They weren't given any. It's either that or they were never disciplined.

I place them in the same mental classification as the "transgender" movement, being that "transgender" is physically impossible, although very mentally possible.

You don't have to be a shrink to see that the common denominator in both groups is a massive lack of attention. What happens when anybody in either group goes in public? Instant attention from literally everyone. People might not stare, but it's impossible not to look.

I wonder that about people who are fat, which I think might be a majority of adults in North America. I know some people get injured and stuff so they can't exercise, and then have endocrinological problems on top of that, but I also know most fat people probably don't have that unique combination of factors.

Bad eating habits in a society of abundant food explains some of it. I think "missing something" or "carrying around deep inner pain" probably explains most of the rest of it. But honestly I don't know and am curious.
Food supply 100%... If there were no such thing as fast food or processed boxed food and there were no pesticides, take the same lazy people eating nothing but Organic meats and vegetables and they wouldn't get fat. They would sit around and might have health problems because of that, but they wouldn't be fat.

Last edited:
Back