What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a manual can opener but the cuts are rough and sharp. I like the one that cuts from the side that lets you take the entire top off and you can put it back on-- I think like the safety one you mentioned.

I somehow managed to hit myself in the head with the door on my way out. Mom halfway apologized and is being nice again. Turns out she was hangry so I got her something to eat and she's in a better mood.

Couldn't find what I wanted for my friend's daughter's birthday so I grabbed a brownie from a nearby store and dropped it off. She loves those brownies.

I found what my friend's daughter wanted for her birthday and ordered it from samsclub. It will arrive late but she'll still be happy. She's a good kid.

I found what my friend's daughter wanted for her birthday and ordered it from samsclub. It will arrive late but she'll still be happy. She's a good kid.
Below age 5 or 6: big cardboard box, a box of bandaids, a box of crayons, and a carton of whatever berries are in-season. Above that age: $20 Amazon gift card.

I have a manual can opener but the cuts are rough and sharp. I like the one that cuts from the side that lets you take the entire top off and you can put it back on-- I think like the safety one you mentioned.

I bought a side cutter just last week. I’ve used it a few times and it works better than our old one by far.

1685844037951.png

Had that exact 72" Super Sport (small block) in Green! (back when I had more time them money :O/)

Should have kept it!
Had an SS396, 4 times, in a 2yr tour, the FORTUNA, CA. police called the base and asked for a "respective" driver, or they would impound it.

Never should have traded for a bull.
look what they’re worth now!

IMG_4775.jpeg

Looks like everyone's been keeping busy. Today was my third day off.... and I haven't gotten anything accomplished......

Yesterday my daughter's car was acting up and then the check engine light started panickedly flashing, so I met her at my mechanics and dropped it off. Then we stopped at an old gas station where people park there cars for sale by owner, there was a subcompact there and I thought about checking it out, however they wanted 9k for it. Drove home about 1.5 miles only to realize I ran over something and now had a tire leak. So I spent 4 hours at Wal-Mart this morning for 2 new tires. She had to work and use my car so it didn't matter. She starts a new PT job at a pet supply store Monday, hopefully her car isn't super expensive to fix.
I have so many things to get done while I am off this week, and I just don't have the gumption.

I have really been trying to practice mindfulness, and being present for all the senses instead of just being in survival mode all the time. It's a challenge at times.

The MD appt went well, not 100% crazy about being told I have OCD, however.... if the shoe fits.... and it does, I just have to get over it.

I have been reading about epigenetics, and about a couple of mutations I have, trying to get a better understanding of what I need to do and what I need to avoid in order to be more at peace with life. It is actually quite fascinating. On the flip side, I have started coloring again. It does keep me in the present and it is relaxing. I also got a book to read called Dirty Genes. It's been interesting. According to reviews, it seems that people either loved the information or felt like they could have just Google everything in it. I like having everything in one place that I don't have to organize together myself. So far I have enjoyed it.

@Ron Van I'm sorry to hear about your brother, I hope he does well during his recovery. I was married to someone who had schizoaffective disorder, major depressive disorder with agoraphobia, and intermittent explosive disorder. He was not violent in actions, but man he would scream and yell and say some crazy stuff when he was in a bad place, you just never know what people will do.

The company is coming Monday to fix the last part of the sag. I am hoping after that I can get busy with proper measurements. I had talked myself into just leaving the soffits in the kitchen, however, the cabinets I have been looking at are 14 inches deep and the soffits are 11 7/8 deep so that will look ridiculous. I have decided that I need to wait until the windows and sliding glass door are installed before ordering cabinets. I also need to get new flooring put down in the dining room and kitchen after the sliding glass door is installed. I think that's one reason why I am just lollygagging and not getting anything done. Windows should be near the end of June, so I am excited about that.

I am also trying to give myself the same GRACE that I give others. Not exactly an easy task.
I do need to get busy though because I do have the dumpster here, so I need to fill it quickly and get rid of it.

Hope all is well with everyone

Goodnight,
Shannon

Last edited:
I have a safety can opener question. Will they open the pull-tab cans w/o pulling the tab. If IIRC my current opener won't open them because the rim is too high. I hate pull-tabs!

I have a safety can opener question. Will they open the pull-tab cans w/o pulling the tab. If IIRC my current opener won't open them because the rim is too high. I hate pull-tabs!
I'm not sure...I can give it a try next time I have a can like that.

Coincidentally you're not the first person I've seen express frustration with those. Personally I don't mind them; they have advantages and disadvantages. One advantage in my experience is you can get the can open much faster and with much less effort. A disadvantage would be it's harder to shake the contents out because the resulting opening isn't flush with the side of the can.

This isn't a big problem with "larger-grained" contents that tumble freely and don't tend to stick (e.g. garbanzos) but would be maddening for smaller/mushier (e.g. diced tomatoes) and downright insane for goopy stuff you've gotta take out with a rubber spatula anyway (e.g. tomato paste).

Around here at least, garbanzos are the only thing that consistently comes in such a can.

Yesterday the under-construction cookie-cutter mini-mansion dumpsters provided me with a free piece of 8x4 quarter-inch plywood, perfectly intact except for six or eight staples I had to pull out. (I should have grabbed the other three identical plywood sheets that were there but my mindset is apparently not enough like that of the build customers.) Anyway this means I should be able to finish the dresser this week.

Back