What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So..... a couple of hours after I sprayed, things are starting to die already!

Different angles, however the top was before and the bottom was after about 3 hours or so.

PCIMG_2023-06-06_20-12-08.JPG

Also, I posted the smashed metal building and it was gone in an hour
20230606_172326.jpg

I'm still shocked that the dresser is still sitting out front...... but let's take some junk.

The person who took ot is from one of the poorer families in town, so I was excited that they commented first. I found a few other pieces of metal scrap to give him also, he worked super hard for probably just a few dollars.

Yeah, regular vinegar doesn't work that fast, but weeds don't come back. I would love to tick off some of the neighbors though, so the idea of that smell has me intrigued.

I ran out of anything to cook in the air fryer so I went shopping. Idahos on sale, 10lbs for $5.29. Also picked up some red chili hot hummus, $1.33 per 7.5 oz. It goes well with pub style pretzels and I can't make it for that price. I picked up a London broil for $3.99/lb, the air fryer may not be the best bet for that. I'll have to do some research.

I'm checking on vinegar prices. The best deal I can find is $18.39/gal from Walmart but have to order 2 to get free shipping.

I'm checking on vinegar prices. The best deal I can find is $18.39/gal from Walmart but have to order 2 to get free shipping.
Just get the regular, you don't have to worry about it getting on your skin and it will kill weeds, just spray it at the base.

@Spicoli43 and @Eddie_T i think that when my new gallons come in, I am going to dilute it down to closer to 30%, it will go further that way.... in the event I didn't mention in my other post the recipe is 1 gallon of vinegar, 1 cup of table salt and about a tablespoon of dawn dish washing liquid (I doubt it has to be that brand). I just used a cheap sprayer i already had from Wal-Mart.

So my mom blew this outlet a few years ago. She blew one on the other side of the wall also but I fixed that one like 2 years ago...... anyways, for whatever reason, I just couldn't get myself to come out on the back porch and replace this one. However, this morning I did just that. I finally fixed it.

20230607_142834.jpg

I have been sitting on my screened in back porch for a few hours today and it has been wonderful. I am excited about enclosing it and adding heating and air and making it a nice quiet place.

I need to make up my mind about sliding glass doors and go buy one so that when my windows come in he can pick it up and bring it with him to install.....

Today is my last day off, I really haven't gotten a lot done but I am trying to be much better at being realistic in what I can plan to do 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Shan, I make lists, one list each day, of things I want to get done that day. It's part of my morning routine. Paper and pen, too, not on a phone or a whiteboard, I have a small notebook dedicated to the purpose. Discount Drug Mart sells these 6"x4" 100-something page notebooks for like a dollar. (It's a nice feeling to be able to feel the thickness in pages of all the lists you've gotten done.)

Some items recur daily (e.g. work out, unload dishwasher), others are one-offs. I include any appointments and other things I know need to happen, as well as any holdovers from the previous day that still need to get done. Each time something gets done I cross it off. I try to cross as much off the list each day. If at the end of the day only a few things are crossed off, it still feels good to have crossed off a few things!

I have a master list that I made years ago, howdver.... I think you are.correct, I need to make lists daily when I am off. I think that it would be potentially less stressful also. I mean, if I am being completely honest.... the noggin just.doesnt remember everything anymore. So... I may try that next week!

Thanks for the idea/reminder!

Pulled some poison ivy. I doubled vinyl exam gloves on my right hand and soon found that I wasn't getting any roots. The vine had snuck under some blue rug juniper and I had to trace it back a bit to find something substantial enough to pull up. I worked until I got hot and tired of bending over (actually not very long). A casual touch of poison ivy doesn't affect me but I don't chance firm grasps w/o protection. I peeled the gloves and washed well with soap and cold water just in case.

Exam gloves are handy to have around. My DIL always uses them when preparing raw chicken and for other yucky tasks. Once when my power was out my son stopped by with a bucket of KFC and we wore an exam glove on our eating hand since we didn't have hot water for wash-up.

I took mom to have a face to face with a sleep study doctor so they would approve renewal of prescriptions for CPAP supplies. They had been refusing to renew her supplies since 2020 and they FINALLY found a doctor that takes Medicare to approve.

We ate at Golden Corral. There was a slip of paper for our table to show the server what we got to drink. I drew an elephant and wrote "Thank You" on it and handed it to her with the tip. Previous customer didn't leave a tip. She came back after walking in the back to come out and thank me for the little drawing. She was busting her hump clearing tables, bringing drinks, & checking on customers. It may be buffet but I tipped well.

Got home and pulled out the miter saw. I thought my friend hadn't been holding stuff against the fence while cutting the boards because everything he cut was slightly crooked. I cut something and made sure it was against the fence. It came out crooked so I looked and the arrow thingy was just to the right of the 0. I had to ask my friend how to adjust. He said he hadn't noticed when he set it that it was off. It did not want to go to the 0. Once I got it on zero I turned the knob to lock it down and it shifted to the right again. So I loosened it, repositioned to 0 and didn't put the knob as tight. I then told my friend what happened and that it wasn't him, it was a defect with the saw.

I cut some trim and had to go grab some cove molding from the workshop. I unintentionally wasted some because I got it for both sides of the tub and realized it won't work on one side so I'll find another use for that piece. I glued and stapled up some shims. Longest staples that work with my staple gun are 1/2". I still need to get my brad nailer down. I saw the boxes for the nail guns in the tool closet but I need to get my step stool out. My back was really aching so I decided to take a break after I cut up the box that my tub surround came in. The cats were very confused. LOL.

Saw a Lambo out and about, which is entirely stupid here because of all the Rock trucks that haul constantly around here. I have never been into Lambo's or Ferraris, but it's cool to see them as it reminds me when we didn't have a speed limit. Europeans would bring their supercars over here to play on the "Montanabahn".

I need to check myself into Air Fryers Anonymous or a 13 step program or whatever... First step, don't buy Potatoes... Second step, Do NOT look at the Oven, which says AIR FRY on it... Third step, buy Potatoes and Air Fry them...

See? Doesn't work.

I've got Idaho russets now but haven't tried them yet. False advertising, they show the fryer with a tray full of fries but the instructions say to fry in a single layer. They would prolly say the pic was reheated Ore Idas.

1686182881590.png

Yeah, I don't know about that pic, I don't see how it would work that way. I guess I could try a pile of them in the oven because I don't need to flip them, but I think I remember the basket ones saying to flip them, or maybe that was just recipes from individual people.

Obviously the photo is intended to demonstrate how the airfryer tray doubles as a serving dish.

Speaking of French Fries, when we were at Golden Corral one of the staff was bringing out a tray of fries. One fell on the floor and a child stomped on it and smashed it into the floor.

And speaking of air fryers, I sent photos, the invoice, and other info to Cosori to request a replacement for my air fryer (or hopefully just a replacement part). The new can opener arrived but I haven't opened it yet.

Did I mention that every time I go to Golden Corral they think I'm 60+ and keep saying "two seniors?" when I go in with Mom. Last few times Mom corrected them. She didn't bother this time. I may be post-menopausal but I don't *think* look 60 or over. LOL.

I heard back from my uncle. He was having hip pain & it turns out it was something wrong with his back so he's in physical therapy. His wife now requires home healthcare assistance to come in and bathe her and such. If she gets the point that she can't get to the bathroom they will put her in some sort of nursing facility. She's apparently been sleeping in a recliner that lifts up and then she moves to a scooter. She has a lot of pain & is on constant pain meds. She was never the nicest person in the world nor the brightest, but I'm sad to hear that.

On another note, I found the family photos! They are in a box in the hall close. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to scan them with the crappy HP all-in-one thingy (the old one).

It would be nice to have a food warmer lamp or two but they cost more than the air fryer.

I found a recipe for London broil claiming that the air fryer is the only way to go. If it does well I might use London broil or chuck eye for steak and eggs and kill my search for a bacon or sausage substitute.

Watch battery (AG4) order arrived today and my $9.88 Rolex knockoff is ticking again.

I'm contemplating a pair of Zenni round eyeglasses. With single vision lenses @ $25.95.

1686194594015.png

Last edited:
Today I met a character. Buzz would have liked this guy. I liked him too.

Back