What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just finished reading a historical novel The Auschwitz Escape by Joel C. Rosenberg. It's an interesting read.

Cosori (the mfr of my air fryer) contacted me again and asked for pictures of the cord. So I sent photos of it and detailed pics of the plug just in case. They said they will send a new fryer. I was hoping for a replacement part and explanation of how to fix it, but I'll take a brand new air fryer instead. I hope it ships quickly.

Worked on trim some more. I scrapped the stacked wooden slats and decided to take a scrap chunk of the 5-1/2" board and cut it into three 1/4" pieces. I made one too slim and one too fat so I had to make 5. Got 3 good ones and trimmed the beveled edges on top and bottom so they would stack better. Worked out so that I ended up with exactly 16" (which is what I needed). I put them on a strip of painter's tape and glued them together with construction adhesive. Then I taped the left edge trim in place and marked where the bottom of the L-bead trim hit. I then glued and stapled the stacked pieces on to it. I'll have to come back with some caulk later to cover the seam and then do some touch-up paint.

For the right side I still want to rip a trim piece that is already cut to 16". That strip will need to be 1/2" thick. I will glue it on to the taller trim strip, use caulk, as filler, and do touch-up paint. I'm waiting for my friend to say when he's available. Tomorrow he's busy but I'm hoping later today or maybe Saturday.

Yesterday I fabricated another piece for the dresser, between when someone on Craigslist said he was leaving for my place to buy something and when he arrived to buy it. This dresser is getting built 15 minutes at a time, stretched over weeks!

Today I hope to cut the back piece, or at least set up my circular saw guide to cut it. As I mentioned to Eddie, I can't ever seem to get a nice straight cut even with a guide, but fortunately this piece will be hidden from view and it only needs to be close enough.

Speaking of cutting cords, last year I pulled an air compressor out of a cookie-cutter-mini-mansion dumpster; nothing seemed wrong with it except the power cord had been cut. I gave it to my buddy who needed an air compressor, and who I knew was capable of splicing on a new cord. Recently I followed up asking him if it worked, and he said it did so I was very happy. Makes me think the original owner must have cut the cord by mistake and then decided to trash the thing instead of just fixing it.

I was watching a documentary about the death of Ramses III in Egypt, kind of parallel to dozens of other Egyptian documentaries I have watched over the years, so it might explain why I drifted off into Space Cadet land and started thinking if it was possible to Air Fry Clam Chowder.

Since I make my own, I can see Air Frying the Onion, Celery and Garlic. I think the Clams are already close enough to Rubber, and I don't think I would heat up Milk like that. I might try a 8x8 Pyrex with just a little Milk to see what happens. I don't know, but that's where I was for 5 minutes and had to rewind the documentary.

I have done that my whole adult life, normally it happens with stuff I'm not interested in, though. I sometimes waste 10 minutes on a program that blatantly offends my boring antenna and when I catch myself, I delete the program and write it down to remember it. Lots of the documentaries have the same info, but some are with hosts that command attention, and some are with people like the teacher on Ferris Bueller... "Are you listening Bueller?.... Buehler..... Buehler....."

Then on the flip side, absolutely 180 degrees, I can be incredibly in focus, set the oven alarm for 38 minutes and walk in with 14 seconds to go. I have done that Hundreds of times in my adult life... It's bizarre that I can be as braindead as Kelly Bundy one moment and as focused as Einstein the next.

Then on the flip side, absolutely 180 degrees, I can be incredibly in focus, set the oven alarm for 38 minutes and walk in with 14 seconds to go. I have done that Hundreds of times in my adult life... It's bizarre that I can be as braindead as Kelly Bundy one moment and as focused as Einstein the nenext.
I felt that in my core lol

I've got to decide what to make with a pack of Omaha steak strips. Since they are pricey I would feel bad about just making steak and gravy. A buddy gave them to me as he didn't want them to freezer burn. I couldn't convince him otherwise but I have eaten 10 year old vacuum wrapped steaks that had no freezer burn. He also buys his milk in quarts and his daughter dumps them if expiry occurs. He was explaining to me why milk in cartons had a longer expiry. I looked at the carton and it was ultra-pasteurized. His daughter was there when I pointed that out to him so I just had to mention that by shaking the jug (and not keeping it in the door) I could go 2-3 weeks beyond expiry. She just rolled her eyes.

I went to music night at the community center last evening. The most lively tune was Down Yonder and it had some energetic buck dancers doing a workout. One of them had clickers on his shoes. They have a circle of musicians (limited to 14) and a roll-around mike. They each take a turn at lead (with or w/o vocals) with the others accompanying. They play for an hour then have a 20 minute break for refreshments and come back for another 40 minutes.

For refreshment I enjoyed a chocolate eclair pie. I think it was a vanilla pie filling with wafers and iced with firm chocolate. I'll have to look it up, it was good stuff.

I checked ankles around the room finding that those wearing the big soled Chinese sport type shoes all wore socks (white ). I wore Sketchers (moderate sole) with black socks. Those wearing leather shoes wore socks of varying colors.

Last edited:
Can't do Omaha steaks. They are ultra feedlot, grain fed and never get out of their pens. The ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 is off the charts. Then they pump it full of antibiotics, hormones and tenderizers or blade tenderize it like Costco, which if so, eliminates the "Medium Rare", as you need to cook it well done.

I can only go with 100% Grass Fed, preferably Organic, or at least from a farm that doesn't spray chemicals or use Antibiotics or hormones, and doesn't pay the fees for the Organic label.

Omaha Steaks claim otherwise though they do finish with grain;

We're steak lovers, too. That's why Omaha Steaks are carved from the best in grass-fed, grain-finished beef. Raising cattle on grasses and finishing them with highly nutritive grains creates the signature rich flavor of our beef and is well known for richness, exceptional marbling, and melt-in-your-mouth tenderness.

Omaha Steaks has everything from a basket of live lobsters to a Fourth of July-ready feast complete with burgers, sausages and delicious seasoning. Specializes in: Hormone-free, antibiotic-free, pasture-raised meat, all sourced from Kentucky and Tennessee.

I fortunately don't have any food allergies. Which is good since I love high gluten yeast bread. I stay away from hormones but don't otherwise overthink my food. Stress is the biggest enemy of longevity.

Last edited:
I don't buy anything they say. It's impossible for them to have the output they do with Cows that are allowed access to roam around... They cannot possibly fatten them up fast enough for the typical slaughter of 12 Months. I just don't see it happening. What I do know is the difference in grain finished and 100% grass fed. I'll never go back.

I have never been a fan of Omaha, though. It just wasn't good, and their sides are laughable, almost like they got them from the frozen section of a Supermarket.

I think we had the Omaha steaks discussion here already...

I don't buy anything they say. It's impossible for them to have the output they do with Cows that are allowed access to roam around... They cannot possibly fatten them up fast enough for the typical slaughter of 12 Months. I just don't see it happening. What I do know is the difference in grain finished and 100% grass fed. I'll never go back.

I have never been a fan of Omaha, though. It just wasn't good, and their sides are laughable, almost like they got them from the frozen section of a Supermarket.
Their sides are weird as well as being overpriced. I think Omaha Steaks make their money off people who depend on ratings by others. Kinda like those people who pull out a smartphone to see which wine to purchase. Though I had a friend who had a steakhouse and served Omaha steaks. My buddy gets suckered because when you purchase a special the costs per item are kinda hidden.

Last edited:
Did they make you cut the cord and send a picture of that?
No, I just took a photo of it and detailed pics of the plug just in case.

I just remember the food that came from Omaha steaks tasted terrible. The beef was very poor quality.

Today I opened a new bag of cat food, brought in another case of water, put my pin nailer up and got my brad nailer down, got my air compressor down (they were all on a high shelf in the tool closet), cleaned adhesive off of the tub and surround with mineral spirits. The idiots in charge of packaging stuck a nasty sticker right on the front of the center panel of the surround and it wouldn't come off. I scraped it with a damn chisel. I scraped thinset off of the exposed edges of the L-bead using the back side of the chisel (so it didn't cut in to the pvc at all), caulked in some gaps between the tops of the side parts of the surround (the parts that wrapped around the back) and the L-bead then covered the gaps with pieces of the tear away strips. The one on the left gave me a lot of grief but I finally got it to stay in place. I'll have to do some cleanup after it sets up better and won't move. Used mineral spirits to get the caulk off my fingers and then soap and water to wash away mineral spirits.

I need to see if I can get the brad nailer working. Need to find where I put the nails and figure out how to load it up. I'm also going to use adhesive on the side trim just in case. Still need to unbox and set up my table saw.

Is your brad nailer electric or pneumatic? I am contemplating.

Gotta order some Vanilla Beans on Amazon because they are 1/3 the price of Costco or less, but that's in bulk, so 25 plus Beans. I can't use that many in Chocolate before they go bad, so I will have to use them to make Vanilla extract, which I will need Vodka or Bourbon for... I got a wild hair and looked up "Madagascar Bourbon", which doesn't exist... I'll use Vodka for half and Bourbon for the other half then test them after a year.

Right now I'm a Cookie Monster, which is the only thing I use Vanilla for, and that won't last long, so they will all be gifts for people that can use the Vanilla...

Can you purchase 190° grain alcohol in Montana? It might prove to be less cost when proofed down. Could you store the beans in just enough alcohol to stabilize. I have some ginger that has been in honey around six years.

I think local cattlemen do a pasture finish with grain for three months prior to sale. Those that sell to Omaha may do similar. I don't really care because I'm not buying Omaha but I will enjoy it when others offer. Market steak is tougher nowadays so there might be less grain finishing.

Tonight I am going to try baked potatoes in the air fryer. When I try a piece of the London broil I don't want both steak and potato to be an experiment.

Last edited:
Is your brad nailer electric or pneumatic? I am contemplating.
I started with BOSTITCH pneumatic, then switched to HITACHI gas then RIDGID elec.

The upside in both the gas & elec is you don't have the hose and the compressor to move around.

Yeah, I could use half Everclear and half Water to cut it down to 95 proof I guess, but I don't need massive amounts. With a 1.75L bottle of whatever, that makes 7 give away 8 ounce mason jars and one 5 ounce keeper.

My siblings like Corn finished beef, but I can't do it.

Replaced a broken PVC ball valve on one of the rain barrels with a sturdy brass one. My good d(iy)eed for the day.

Back