What do you hate most about your utility knife?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris1010

Reaction score
What do you hate the most? What do you wish it could do? Please, I'm very curious to hear everyones complaints. Is it the way the blade retracts, the difficulty of changing it, the color, the material, ANYTHING! complain, complain, complain...the more the better

To be honest, there is such a wide variety on the market I managed to find my near perfect match. But okay, I said 'near' perfect. I like the Stanley knife with the rubber grip. I thought the rubber would peel off over time but so far it hasn't. My one gripe, however, is the screw. I've tried all the other "quick change" and "tooless" knives, but I don't care for the knife itself. If someone could make a knife exactly like my favorite Stanley but with a mechanism to replace the screw, so I don't have to find a screwdriver or similar object every time I need to change the blade, it would be the perfect utility knife.

Stanley_Knife.jpg

I hate the way my runs and hides. Insulating my attic I lost three in the fiberglass, somewhere! :D

I hate the retractable blade utility knives. The way they hold the blade is horrible. The blad ends up shifting around and then digging into the case of the knife and making it imposible to open/close.

I also have a flip open/lockback utility knife. Looks like a typical lockback, but uses utility blades. I like that I can just replace the blade, but it leaves me with only about 1" of blade to use. It is also BULKY. The blade holding method is absolutely idiotic.

Make a decent blade holding mechanism that does the following:
1. holds the blade solidly
2. easy to change w/out tools
3. weighs less than your table saw
4. fits nicely in hand with or without gloves.

Of course there are lots more ideas and I could go on, but these are some highlights.

I agree, the retractable blade knives tend to do a poor job of holding the blade. These ideas and complaints are great, keep them coming..

I agree with above posts, a rigidly held blade, perhaps with a removable sheath would be preferable. Maybe instead of a screw, an over center type lock would hold the blade tightly and without need for tools to change it.

Come to think of it, one feature I've seen on some knives is a plastic swing-open type blade reservoir, and the blade sheath somehow extended enough to allow changing the blade. With that design one never had to open the handle at all. I'm not sure how well the sheath held the blade, probably flimsy as any retractable type. Wait, let me google...

Ahah, found it! It's the top one.

0140.jpg

I hate the feeling of the blade as it is cutting through my thumb right down to the bone. :eek: :D
Luckily it has only happened a few times. :rolleyes:
It only happens when i put a nice sharp blade in. :mad:

The knife that Tool Guy has shown is the same knife I've been carrying for years. Blade control doesn't seem to be too bad for a retractable and it has never jammed on the blade against the case. That's the best knife I have found by far, small, lightweight, blade storage, precise cutting/blade holding.

The knife that Tool Guy has shown is the same knife I've been carrying for years. Blade control doesn't seem to be too bad for a retractable and it has never jammed on the blade against the case. That's the best knife I have found by far, small, lightweight, blade storage, precise cutting/blade holding.

I have 3 of them - two Stanleys and one no-name copycat brand. The latter lost the slider button within a few days of cutting drywall. There's something to be said for paying a little (very little) more for quality brands. ;)

Wow...a rare creature to the posts surfaced...anybody see it?
Kind of like the Bigfoot...:D

I own two ...both Stanley...one looks like a banana. yellow and no screw, with blade storage. The other is a brand new with custom grips, a storage center, flip open and lockable blade settings....and if I could get the picture thing to work....you could all see them. Go to Stanley tools for different types of good stuff.

I guess I have Square eye withdrawal...:rolleyes:

I hate the feeling of the blade as it is cutting through my thumb right down to the bone. :eek: :D
Luckily it has only happened a few times.
It only happens when i put a nice sharp blade in. :mad:

Yeah, the thumb bone in particular really dulls the blade fast. :D

The one thing that drives me nuts about utility knifes is the fact that they cut flesh WAY TO GOOD

I like the newer sliders from Stanley. With the little yellow button to eject the blade. I go through a lot of blades so it makes it easy.

Back