What does this mean?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Reaction score
Hi all,

it’s a bit difficult to see but I noticed my roof isn’t completely flat it has a bit of a curve (upward) by the bathroom? What does this mean?

Attachments

• 999E6B1A-E848-41B2-B237-70920B781D4F.jpeg
    999E6B1A-E848-41B2-B237-70920B781D4F.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 18
  • 984494F2-DBF4-4289-A4BC-37FA98CA73D3.jpeg
    984494F2-DBF4-4289-A4BC-37FA98CA73D3.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 18
I'm with Snoonby. The way I was taught is you lay out your rafters or joists crown up and then you sort them placing the ones with the greatest crown in the center and work your way out to the straighter ones. I have had some with so much crown I snapped a line and cut the outside edge straight.

There could be other causes also but those would require something happening to the house.

I was a framer for over 30yrs. so I'll just let you see the process, rather than read several paragraphs;

Very good chance it's been like that for a long time. But, go up in the attic and see if there's any cracked or sagging rafters.

Is your roof rafter and joist or truss? What is the sheathing? Plywood or OSB? What is the spacing of your trusses or rafters and joists? It is typical for trusses to be spaced wider than 16" OC and when 7/16" OSB is used for sheathing it will show waves/humps at the trusses. Architectural shingles can help disguise this. With rafter and joists the difference in crowns as mentioned by others can be significant.

Hi all,

it’s a bit difficult to see but I noticed my roof isn’t completely flat it has a bit of a curve (upward) by the bathroom? What does this mean?

Rafter roofs usually eventually sag a bit in the middle after a while... mine has 2 x 4 rafters, that actually measure 2" x 4" and of hard woods, and sags quite a bit... but after 200 years of snow falls it's still fine so I'm not worried about it...
Maybe a soil pipe is holding your roof up over the bathroom? Or there is some extra framing there...?

Latest posts

Back