What happened to my paint ?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Older&Slower

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I hate to drag single wide mfg homes into this site but ......... Last Summer I had to put newer skirting on it. I couldn't afford new plywood, so I got plywood from a moving and storage company. I bought Zinsser's oil base cover stain and added just a splash of black oil base paint which gave me gray. After the Winter and a few hail storms I saw that the paint was coming off. I'm starting to wonder if if that ply was sprayed with something that ruined the paint job.Ply.JPG

Sap in the knots is my guess and bleed thru. hit the spots a few coats with something like kilz original primer and give it a new coat of the oil based stuff you tinted.

The shipping ply was the right price, but may not last a long time.

I have a shed / workshop behind my garage and it was a mess when we bought the house. I didnt want to spend a lot on siding so I covered it with rolled roofing and screwed strips of wood every 18". I did an outhouse that way 45 years ago and it still looks good. on a roof that stuff lasts a couple years at most but on outside walls it really holds up.

Maybe something like that over your plywood would help. just an idea.

Sap in the knots is my guess and bleed thru. hit the spots a few coats with something like kilz original primer and give it a new coat of the oil based stuff you tinted.

The shipping ply was the right price, but may not last a long time.

I have a shed / workshop behind my garage and it was a mess when we bought the house. I didnt want to spend a lot on siding so I covered it with rolled roofing and screwed strips of wood every 18". I did an outhouse that way 45 years ago and it still looks good. on a roof that stuff lasts a couple years at most but on outside walls it really holds up.

Maybe something like that over your plywood would help. just an idea.
I might go with the Kilz. Thank you

Knots might just be catching and holding water.
You could try filling them with exterior spackle.
Or Bondo type of resin filler.
There is also a primer for chalky surfaces, I forget if Behr or Kilz or whoever makes it.
It helps to glue down powder and flakes before putting on a new top coat.

Knots might just be catching and holding water.
You could try filling them with exterior spackle.
Or Bondo type of resin filler.
There is also a primer for chalky surfaces, I forget if Behr or Kilz or whoever makes it.
It helps to glue down powder and flakes before putting on a new top coat.
I'm going to have to buy an orbital sander and start all over again with maybe some Kilz ........ Thanks Jeff

You could also just use a plastic grill scrubber to knock off the loose stuff.
Or a gentle pressure washer on a wide fan spray.
Let it dry for at least a week before new stain or paint.
I would carefully pressure wash before busting my back and arms with a sander.

Zinsser Bin shellac primer is the best at sealing sap and preventing bleed through. I love the stuff.

Zinsser Bin shellac primer is the best at sealing sap and preventing bleed through. I love the stuff.
I used that a long time ago and was very happy with the results. I bought the wrong Zinssers product this time. Thanks for the message :)

I used that a long time ago and was very happy with the results. I bought the wrong Zinssers product this time. Thanks for the message :)
Zinsser Bullseye 1 2 3 is my favorite primer. I'm surprised at how nicely it sprays. But for sap bleed through, Zin Bin is the best.

I believe the original Kilz is the same shellac base.

One benefit of that shellac base is that it dries fast.
You can put two coats of Kilz on pretty quickly, then topcoat, all in a few hours, get paid and client is happy.
Great for repairs like exterior trim or spongy windowsills.

Back