What is the best place to buy nuts and bolts online?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
I figure someone might say "Amazon" or "Homedepot.com" but I wanted to check if there better options, maybe more specialized ones, that people here might know about. Especially if I can save money.

This is not a category that is generally discounted. It is usually a category sold by availability. If you need a quantity, a local nut and bolt supplier can help you and it will be less expensive than the big box stores. They are a little difficult to find, but try searching google for local nut and bolt suppliers. They may have a minimum order requirement and often sell by the box and don't sell individual pieces.

There are a number of industrial suppliers, including Fastenal, MSC and others.

Depends on you quantity and requirements.
For everyday, garden variety nuts and bolts, Big Box stores.
For higher grade bulk needs, McMaster Carr.
For hard to find specialty bolts from quantity of 1 to bulk, Mid-States Bolt & Screw (they supply nuts and bolts to Cedar Point Amusement Park).

TractorSupply in store keeps a pretty good stock of relatively inexpensive nuts/bolts/washers if you are looking for 'standard' types - not much in the 'specialty' area like fine threads, but very good with coarse thread stock stuff. Sell by the pound, so you get a 'handfull' of this and that and take a bag to checkout for weighing (also a scale next to the bolts if you want to use it).
I'm relatively sure they also sell the same stuff online, but I generally just go there myself since I have a store right next to the courts where I play tennis. I can 'feel' about how much I want rather than KNOWING how many lbs I want.
Steve

Good info so I know for next time, thanks everyone.

This time I lost patience and went to a big box store. Their selection of metric was really pitiful and super expensive -- like $3 for a single M10 x 70mm hex bolt! -- but then I realized there were American (imperial? not sure what the inch-ratio one is called) that were almost exactly the same size I could use instead for a fraction of that price, so I went with that and it worked fine. All my gym equipment is assembled and in use!

Back