What is this, and can I continue using it for a gas line?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Serious question: why would anyone who does home repairs himself, can follow directions, and is capable of using tools, not DIY this?
Trade unions and businesses have been trying to regulate out DIYers for years, but, so far, Govt. in most areas have resisted it... Govt. has also made generic parts be legal to keep prices down...
Companies like Sony try to only have their parts available through them... they sold a 50" rear projection TV lit up by an oddball clear glass light bulb of odd voltage and odd wattage that the TV computer would only accept that exact one and it only lasted a year and it was $250/each... now they can be found around $20 elsewhere... LOL! ... the TV or the bulb...

My wife has wanted a gas stove for 15 years. Time to deliver!
Gas stoves may be cheaper to run but those flames catch stuff on fire much more easily... and the gas can escape if it doesn't ignite when turned on... also, electric may be quicker when cooking large amounts of food, it has a power plant behind it supplying energy... and electric ovens are efficient since they don't have to be vented letting heat out... electric oven burners just kick on once in a while... also keep kitchen cooler in summer...

Depending on where you live, if you have power outages you can still cook on the range top lighting the burners with a match. Not the oven, however. Who likes cooking on electric!?👎🏻gas ovens also do the same to maintain heat settings. They come on, shut off, etc…

A ban doesn’t mean they agree with the change. I talk to a lot of customers while working in the field that don’t want electric ranges. The same people who are green energy types. I have heard an electric oven is better for baking but most everyone can agree that a gas range top burner is more desired. I will never use an electric range but that’s me. To each their own.

OP here, following up. I want to give a big "thanks" for encouraging me to DIY it. I was quoted $1,165 for running a 30 foot CSST gas line.

I used Pro-Flex materials and did it myself, for a total materials cost of $270. I even have 40' of CSST left over that I can probably sell. The job was EASY -- funny thing, the hardest part was untangling the CSST line itself while threading it through the hole I made in the floor. The fittings are barely more difficult that Sharkbite connectors.

I bought a combustible gas detector for $100 that detects gas down to 50 ppm. The best part: it detected gas at one that was already in the house, and nothing after. So I actually REDUCED the amount of gas seeping into the house from the gas line.

My wife is EXTREMELY happy about the new gas range, I saved about $800, and I have a new skill and the satisfaction of a safer, upgraded home.

Thanks!

Gas stoves may be cheaper to run but those flames catch stuff on fire much more easily... and the gas can escape if it doesn't ignite when turned on... also, electric may be quicker when cooking large amounts of food, it has a power plant behind it supplying energy... and electric ovens are efficient since they don't have to be vented letting heat out... electric oven burners just kick on once in a while... also keep kitchen cooler in summer...
I could eat off of a camp stove for the rest of my life, but I didn't marry myself ;)

Our electric grid is already taxed here in CA and the addition to EV’s and banning natural gas in the future is an absolute joke. I can’t stand our governor.
I'll agree with you on a couple of points...I can't stand Gruesome Newsom either. That (and other reasons) are why we moved out of Ca. in 2020.

I'll also agree that cooking on gas is more desirable but my wife likes the electric "Flat Top" because it's easier to clean. . . so we got a new electric range in our new (to us) home.IMG_1428.jpg

OP here, following up. I want to give a big "thanks" for encouraging me to DIY it.

I bought a combustible gas detector for $100 that detects gas down to 50 ppm.

My wife is EXTREMELY happy about the new gas range, I saved about $800, and I have a new skill and the satisfaction of a safer, upgraded home.

Thanks!
A Big Kudos for DIYing it yourself. There are several reasons to DIY...it's cheaper, you learn something every time (even if you've done it before), and you know that it's done right.

Our electric grid is already taxed here in CA and the addition to EV’s and banning natural gas in the future is an absolute joke. I can’t stand our governor.
Didn't several hundred people die in Texas lately when the solar/wind electric grid went down and no heat in winter and no A/C in summer?

I'll also agree that cooking on gas is more desirable but my wife likes the electric "Flat Top" because it's easier to clean. . .
I've seen so many of those burnt up and melted I thought they went out of style...

Just my 2 cents.

Most if not all professional chefs cook over gas. I have always liked gas over electric. At my last home I had an electric glass cook top and it was a great step forward over the element type both in even heat and cleanup. The cleanup isn’t without issues though and there is special cleaner you can use to help keeping it looking like glass. It will get a burnt on look with time and has to be polished if you want it perfect. Day to day cleanup is easy though.

Back