What is this dome cover?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anna1234

Reaction score
Any clue what is under this dome cover? My house is from the 70's and the cover is quite sturdily buried in the ground. I'm guessing something electrical or cable-related maybe?

Attachments

• 20220323_091714[1614].jpg
    20220323_091714[1614].jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 37
It could also be a hydrant.

Were it I, I would 1st inquire of the neighbors, and then gently dig around it.

I tried to do a google search for the image but the feature has disappeared. I used to be able to right click on an image and the dialog box that appeared included a "search google for image" line. I switched to DuckDuckGo recently I wonder if that's how I lost that feature.

Just a WAG but I would say utilities of some kind especially with the lock on it.

Why not give "Call B4 You Dig" a call and ask them. They may have it on record.

It looks like an older version of the distribution boxes in my neighborhood for underground electrical services. I have a transformer in my yard, but down the street there are boxes that the drops to my neighbor's houses plug into the mains. My drop plugs in at the transformer. I wouldn't go poking around with a shovel. Call 811/Miss Utilities and have them mark your utilities, it's free. If I'm right, you'll have a bunch of red lines radiating out from that box. If they're orange, it is a telco or cable TV box.

If you don't have a telltale overhead service drop above your meter you prolly have underground power and the dome will be located between the meter and the street.

Back