What is this on my floor?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael121

Reaction score
I saw this on my floor today in a bedroom.

I tried to clean it up with a napkin and tried not to breath. When I touched it it disintegrated. There is nothing else in the house like this and I've ever seen anything even remotely similar to it before.

Does anyone know what it is? Where did it come from? Is it dangerous? How do I get rid of it?

Thanks!

139re.jpg

You need to remove the carpet, and find where the water to let this grow is comming from.
Call in a professional.:2cents:

A professional of what? The house is pretty clean, with the exception of some recurring mold on the windows from condensation.

I have googled around and looked at all different pictures of mold but haven't seen anything that grew off the wall and floor like this.

Is it mold, fungus, some sort of insect/animal thing?

It looks like a piece of shredded leather. I have never seen anything like that. Interesting. Let us know what the professionals say. I am very curious!

From the picture I doubt it's mold. I'm pretty sure that it's just inner part of your carpet.
Just flip up the carpet and see what's happen.

About the possibility that it would be mold. Don't worry too much.
Mold is not that dangerous of you don't eat them.
A normal fabric face mask is sufficient to protect you from the spore.

I would be concerned and have it checked out. I am also curious to know what that is.

Remove the base board!

Knife and a wedge bar

Well, I have seen something like this before! There was a bathroom "wet wall" on the other side which had two bathrooms back to back. The wet wall was the common wall for the two showers. A leak had developed on BOTH common shower walls so water settled to the slab athen traveled under the 2x4 floor plate, emerging in the adjoining livingroom. The carpet had become saturated and mold grew up the leg of a table which was against the wall.

The reddish color was from the carpet tack strip nails which had rusted PLUS the mold.

Solution?

Pull up the carpet along the wall. Remove all saturated tack strip and air the carpet. Fix the walls leaks in both showers (remove hard grout and replace with flexible non-molding caulk). Spray the carpet top and bottom with mold killer, let dry. Replace tack strip and reattach carpet.

See if this approach works for you!

Latest posts

Back