What Is This Opening For, In Pantry Cabinet?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
3C859E07-DDD4-438D-B215-5D4F3A6871F3.jpeg 41646FD9-0EA1-41C0-9FDB-310FFBEB6B17.jpeg There is an oval cut-out in the bottom right side of my upper cabinet in my kitchen pantry stacked cabinets.

The hole looks factory made.

Cabinets are original from 1973.

Thanks bud!

That weird hole has been bugging me since I moved into my condo about a year ago.

I was thinking maybe stuff was meant to be poured down through it, or it might be some kind of vent.

Now I can stop head scratching, and just plug it up!

I wonder if that pantry cabinet came with a plug, that got lost over the last forty plus years?

It could have had a plug. I think it would be a PITA putting a broom up in there every time you used it. Good idea that never took off.

Back when I was still drinking soda I always wished I had a tube built in to the basement for aluminum cans to drop in a barrel. That was another good idea I never got around to.

The new kitchen wall I’m converting into storage using the double stud bay I left the one bay that has the piping to the upstairs bath open and will fit it with a door. She said do we really need to get to those pipes ever and I said no but it’s the perfect spot to keep the broom. She liked the idea.

Yep fit up a plug and forget it.

Knowing me, I will pbly keep using a scrap of cardboard to cover it for a few more years, til one day I break out the jigsaw and make a nice plug.

Latest posts

Back