What is this plumbing fitting called and how do I fix leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you figure out what side of the T is leaking? My guess is one of the clamps is not seating as tight as needed.

Depending on what side is leaking and how much extra PEX there is in the direction you need to fix you may be able to cut the clamp and trim the PEX shorter and re-clamp it.

Have you worked with PEX before and do you have PEX tools cutting and clamping?

Thanks for your response. Don't have any pex tools but do have some extra tubing and shark bike clamps left over from prior owner. Just see the drips from the bottom.IMG_20210501_174230.jpg

Last edited:
There is a lot going on there. At the retail price for Sharkbites that is probably $100 worth of fittings.

I think those are an older style of crimp on fittings. I'm mainly familiar with the stainless rings and the copper bands and I prefer the stainless rings. The barbed T would be the same for whatever ring you used I would think.

When PEX first came out there was a tool you slipped inside the tube and it expanded the tube and it would stay expanded for a few seconds so you could slip it on the fitting. I know there was some problems with that design and they had different kinds of rings they were using around that time. These may be one of those.

I'm not 100% sure how to best get those rings off to make the repair. The stainless rings I can cut with a good set of wire cutters.

I'm with @Sparky617 on this one - there is a ton going on, would think some clean up could be done.

The connectors are "Press Connector" style clamps (video of all style Pex clamps - good info: Pex Clamps - all styles). Really no "easy" way to disassemble what you have there, not to mention it looks like you have some funky 1/2" to 3/4" 90's - which doesn't make much sense (but then again we can't see the whole scenario.

If you are planning on being there for another year or so this would be the opportunity to clean everything up and replace that bottom piece of luan, which will get called on a home inspection.

Purchased the 1999 built cabin last fall. The home inspector I hired said nothing about the luan. I do not know why it's looks like such a mess under this kitchen sink. I hate to redo it all for a drip. Before replacing the whole thing, I'll try to repair the leak which seems to be at the bottom. Probably will eventually hire a pro to replace with updated pex. Thanks for your help.

That's under a kitchen sink?? This might be one of the most hilarious pictures I've seen recently.

I hate to redo it all for a drip. Before replacing the whole thing, I'll try to repair the leak which seems to be at the bottom

(make sure you shut everything off first) Let us know how you make out - never been able to get one of those compression clamps off to replace. Plus if it's a Viega version there is an insert that is integral.

(make sure you shut everything off first) Let us know how you make out - never been able to get one of those compression clamps off to replace. Plus if it's a Viega version there is an insert that is integral.
Based on that and the very short distance between fittings he will have to go back to points where the tube can be cut and spliced and new PEX and fittings be put in.

Just looking at it I don’t see where just the leaker can be replaced.

If I was advising anyone who has a house done in PEX it would be to buy a PEX cutter and a crimping tool for the stainless bands.

The beauty of PEX for me is you don’t need to use all the 90s like you were doing ridged pipe and try and snake it around when I can and do more homeruns etc.

As far as getting those fittings apart I agree they look like they might be tough.

. I hate to redo it all for a drip. Before replacing the whole thing, I'll try to repair the leak which seems to be at the bottom. Probably will eventually hire a pro to replace with updated pex. Thanks for your help.
Don’t be afraid of the pex...it’s easy to work with. I remodeled our bathroom in our old house that we just sold in 2020 and used Uponor (expansion pex fittings). It was super easy and worked great. The crimp style is easier to find now. Easier than soldering copper even though I did some of that too. If it were me...and the Luan (or particle board which ever it is) is still structurally sound, I’d get some linoleum scraps from Home Depo or Lowe’s to put down there to make it water proof for the future and it will look nice too. I used some wood grain linoleum and curled it up on the edges to make it water proof.

Back