What kind of wall does this look like?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehumanplugin

Reaction score
I have 2 questions

1. Could somebody tell me what kind of wall this is called specifically?
It seems relatively hard and maybe has a coat of plaster on it? My house was built in the early 40s

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

2. What is the best kind of wall anchor to use? I'm mounting relatively light stuff less than 10lbs. Mollys? Or the little plastic anchors?

Thanks

I've never seen a wall that thick before. What does it feel like? Is it hard like concrete or soft like foam insulation material?

It feels almost like a rock or concrete but I don't think it's heavy enough. Here's a piece of the paper backing:

4-1.jpg

nealtw - I haven't tried any anchors yet because I didn't know which would be the most appropriate.

As thick and hard as that is I'd try drill with a masonry bit and use a Tap Con screw.

Is this up against another wall like concrete or something and how thick is it?
Where are you located?

It seems like at max it's 7/8 of an inch but it also drops at certain points to 3/4. It's not smooth or consistent, but maybe the piece that I have is broken. If it has paper backing throughout I think it would have to be consistent.
Maybe it is stone or concrete? How can I tell?
Did you see the little fibers in it? Like dried grass or something...

It seems like directly behind it there is some kind of wire mesh, then an air gap and then I think whatever the outside bricks are built on.

I live in Baltimore Maryland.

Last edited:
That's all over my house as well. 1956 Chicago. It's very hard and turns to sand when wet. Seems like an early cement board skimmed with plaster. It's installed on wood furring on the brick exterior walls and on the studs on the interior. It appears to be in 2 foot wide sheets. I hang pictures etc on it with coarse thread one inch drywall screws. Heavier things like vertical blinds went up fine using plastic sleeve anchors. Use a masonry bit.
Joint compound doesn't stick well but durabond does.

Plater board, sand cement and horse hair. Are the interior walls lath and plaster? These boards were stuck up with morter on brick or concrete walls instead of lath.

Back