What model paint sprayer?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dthornton

inspector gadget
Reaction score
Well, I posted last week on the painting forum and nobody responded. Maybe I'll have better results here. :) We use ONLY Behr paint, and for those of you who don't know, it's almost as thick as pudding that hasn't quite set. I have to paint the outside of our 2 story house this summer. I would like to use a paint sprayer, but I don't want to thin down the paint (kinda defeats the purpose of getting the good paint). Can anyone recommend a paint sprayer (preferably under $150) that can spray this paint? Thanks for the help! :beer:

Copied directly from the Behr website.

•Do not thin if using a roller or brush; however, if using a sprayer and thinning is required, thin with water at a rate of no more than 250 mL per 3.79 L.

OP, I saw your post but hesitated to respond as my experience with sprayers is not current. Latex paint doesn't spray all that easily and requires a bit more power than I believe you can get from a sprayer in the price range you specified.

I still paint (spray) with compressed air but airless has come a very long way. I have spent a lot of time on home theater forums that deal with painted projection screens and the guys that do it for a living have all gone airless and the sprayer of choice is the newer Wagner that’s right around your price point. The reviews are all great and they are painting surfaces that can’t have any blemishes at all.

There is nothing wrong with thinning paint within the limits they allow in order to spray. It won’t change the properties of the paint or its ability to last.

On an added note, there is a product called Floetrol that has been around for years and is still sold. My dad swore by this stuff and reading reviews it’s an excellent product to use in latex if spraying. I would look into it and at least experiment with it if I was going to spray a house.

Last edited:
Thank you to all of you. I don't like heights anyway :hide:, but if I gotta get up there, I want it to go quickly and not have to put on 3 or more coats to get it to look good! :D Each of you have some good advice, and I will check into the sprayer. How about a HVLP air powered sprayer? Can I run one of those off of my little 3 gallon compressor/tank outfits? Just wondered. :banana:

Back