What mortar for tuckpointing old sandstone foundation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillBill

Reaction score
Here is some background:
The house has a 100+ year old sandstone foundation. At some point it was covered with some type of mortar and 1 to 2 coats of point. That covering is now falling off or can easily be chipped off in many places. Behind it, the "joints" between the sandstone are just large gaps, holes, and caves filled with sand. I was thinking it might be a good idea to remove the sand and fill it in with mortar.

Questions:
1) Should I remove the sand and fill it in with mortar?

2) What mortar should be used? Everyone I talk to says to just use the Quikrete mortar mix (I believe this uses a masonry cement that is equal parts Portland cement and Lime). But many online advice-givers warn that any cement in the mix will counteract the permeability of the lime, making it not breathable and resulting in horrible damage to sandstone. So I was thinking I might try just mixing up some sand and lime as recommended here, but I have no experience with the mixing and curing process.

3) After tuckpointing, can the wall be painted with a latex paint? Or will any paint make the wall not breathable and cause damage?

Thank you for any ideas!

Bill2

Thank you for the link! Reliable source with lots of good info.

Latest posts

Back