What plants work in shade and in my zone.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
"Sudbury lies within plant hardiness zone 4a & 3b. Soils are typically shallow, stony podzols and have historically been highly acidic and require agricultural lime and tile drainage to be productive."

I want to put some tall plants beside a fence and existing deck that is 4 feet high. There is about 2 feet between the 2 and want to make it look great. I have sandy soil. The opening faces the east.

What are my options for tall, shade tolerant plants? Would cedars work good there?

Arborvitae grow well under those conditions and fill in pretty fast. Make sure you get the proper shrub variety as the tree type can get 60’ tall.

Hosta plants also grow well in the shade and there are many varieties.

Pachysandra is a good ground cover for shade and easy to grow.

That’s my go to list from tall to low.

Arborvitae grow well under those conditions and fill in pretty fast. Make sure you get the proper shrub variety as the tree type can get 60’ tall.

Hosta plants also grow well in the shade and there are many varieties.

Pachysandra is a good ground cover for shade and easy to grow.

That’s my go to list from tall to low.

I already have some hostas. I don't mind adding more. The Arborvitae would work well, and 60 feet wouldn't be the worst thing. The paschysandra will also work well.

The good thing, it will be beside a tiered deck, so the difference in size would work well too.

Latest posts

Back