what plywood to use

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topher5150

Reaction score
I know it's not exactly house related, but I'm not sure where else to ask. I've been brain storming about what to do with the interior of my 47 Ford coupe, and I've seen online where people have used plywood for their door panels. I was thinking of using a plywood with a nice grain and a medium-dark stain with brushed metal trim sitting flush in the wood. I don't want to spend crazy money buying exotic woods. This would be something that I would pickup at Lowe's or Menards. What are some more common plywoods would give me this look?
oglvvd.gif

door panle.JPG

If you have a lumber yard you'll probably have a greater selection. For interior panels you'd use 1/4" panels, even going with a wood like walnut for all you'd need would cost more than $200. Nice domestic woods would be cherry and walnut. Mahogany would also be a nice wood.

I have a great independent lumber yard here that has something like 20 varieties of domestic and tropical hardwood plywoods. They will ship too. But try locally first.

https://www.capitolcitylumber.com/

I think just some good old severe weather yellow pine plywood will do—just pick a good stain. I just checked Lowe's and they got those with nice grain. If you got more budget, get some red oak.

Back