What sheen to use?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I usually use...

Interior walls = satin
Interior trim = semigloss
Bathroom and kitchen ceilings = semigloss
All other ceilings = ceiling paint
Exterior walls = flat

But what about...

Interior doors, exterior doors, exterior window sills, exterior shutters

I use semi gloss on the doors, which helps with stopping fingerprints. We recently hired a professional painter who recommended that all the crowns be taped off and sprayed with a full gloss. I was apprehensive but since there was no added costs, I allowed him to do it and I am really glad I did. They really shine, but since they are at the top of the ceilings, they stay clean and don't get fingerprints on them.

I also learned that when painting ceilings white, it is very difficult to see where you've been and where you need to go. They have a high end ceiling paint that has a pink tint, until it dries, then it is a nice, bright white. This really helps to identify your last roller line, so you always stay with one edge in the wet paint.

When I had our Hardiplank exterior repainted I had the painters use a semi-gloss on the body of the house. It lasts a bit longer than flat and cleans up better. For ceilings, we don't use "ceiling paint" many times we paint our ceilings a lighter shade of the wall paint, move one or two colors lighter on the same paint chip.

Back