What should I ask the electrician about rewiring?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feisty

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm having estimates done to have my house rewired. What should I ask the electrician? Some things I had thought of is: can we stay here while the work is being done? How long will the work take? How soon could they start?

But I know I'm probably missing some things since I've never done anything like this before. Thanks!

Hi Sarah:
Ask the electrician to prove his Public Liability insurance, his Workman's Compensation insurance, and give you at least 3 references that you can go and visit. It could save you a lot of heartache down the line.
Glenn

for you, not the electrician - Why are you having the house re-wired?

I would ask him about his strategy for running new wires. How much wall demo will be required and where, etc. I would want to know everything that was going to be cut into. I would want to hear something like (we take every effort to minimize disruption to existing surfaces. We will use the attic, basement/crawl space and unfinished spaces to run wires as much as possible)

Also - When you look at a previous job. Maybe its funny, but one way I determine a quality job is by neatness. Are the wires twisted or flat? if they are flat, neat, labeled, etc. its a sign somone took time and cared.

Latest posts

Back